OH Columbus LEO Fatally Shoots 13 y/o after armed robbery, teen w 'gun' 14 Sept 2016

al66pine

Reaction score
"An officer responding to a reported armed robbery shot and killed a 13-year-old boy when the teen pulled a firearm from his waistband that was later determined to be a BB gun but looked "practically identical" to the weapon that police use..." per LE."...around nightfall Wednesday in an alley east of downtown Columbus after a short foot chase."

LE "... responded to a report of an armed robbery involving multiple suspects and were told by the victim that a group of people had approached him and demanded money. The victim said one of them had a gun...."
"They said it wasn't clear if the shooting had been caught on video.

At a news conference Thursday, Police Chief Kim Jacobs displayed a photo of what she called a "replica" of the BB gun that Tyree had.
"Our officers carry a gun that looks practically identical to this weapon," she said. "As you can see, it looks like a firearm that could kill you."

Sad, sad, sad. RIP Tyree King.

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ar...atally_shot_by_police_after_pulling_out_bb-ap

same link http://centurylink.net/news/read/ar...atally_shot_by_police_after_pulling_out_bb-ap

"Mayor Andrew Ginther appeared to choke up as he called for the community to come together to help ensure children remain safe. He questioned why an eighth-grader would have a replica of a police firearm.

"There is something wrong in this country, and it is bringing its epidemic to our city streets," Ginther said. "And a 13-year-old is dead in the city of Columbus because of our obsession with guns and violence." bbm

Respectfully, Mr. Mayor, this teen is not dead because of ^ "our obsession." Based on link, he is dead because of his actions giving that LEO an objectively reasonable belief/fear that the LEO faced imminent danger of great bodily harm or death.

ETA ^ this my initial impression, based on link. subject to change on release of more info.

JM2cts

same link http://centurylink.net/news/read/ar...atally_shot_by_police_after_pulling_out_bb-ap

"Mayor Andrew Ginther appeared to choke up as he called for the community to come together to help ensure children remain safe. He questioned why an eighth-grader would have a replica of a police firearm.

"There is something wrong in this country, and it is bringing its epidemic to our city streets," Ginther said. "And a 13-year-old is dead in the city of Columbus because of our obsession with guns and violence." bbm

Respectfully, Mr. Mayor, this teen is not dead because of ^ "our obsession." Based on link, he is dead because of his actions giving that LEO an objectively reasonable belief/fear that the LEO faced imminent danger of great bodily harm or death.

ETA ^ this my initial impression, based on link. subject to change on release of more info.

JM2cts
SABBM

Agreed.

Tyree is dead because of his own actions ; and yes, it's a tragedy ! However--are the cops supposed to WAIT until being fired at to ensure it's a real gun and not just a BB gun ?

It's not like a BB gun is going to kill the policeman-- but le should have the right to defend themselves in the face of possible danger.

I also question parents who allow their 13 year old to roam the streets and rob people at night. Smdh.
Unless Tyree was already beyond their control ?
:moo:

Press conference with Police Chief and Mayor. Pics of the replic gun at the video, and in the link below. Looks exactly like many brands of standard semi-auto pistol-- indistinguishable from a real semi-auto unless you are close enough to handle it and examine it. It had been modified with a laser sight on the underside of the barrel, to increase the authenticity as a real gun.

http://player.tout.com/dispatch/i6g9j4

The officer and the other man with King, 19-year-old Demetrius Braxton, were not injured.

Braxton told the Dispatch that he was with King and saw the shooting.

Braxton described King's gun as a BB gun that look like a real gun. He said there was a laser site under the gun barrel.

King wanted to rob someone for money, Braxton said. “I was in the situation,” he said. “We robbed somebody, the people I was with.”

“Officers do not have the luxury of knowing if it’s a real gun or not,” Pappas said. “So two young men who were suspects in this armed robbery separated and ran. One of them was ordered to show his hands and go to the ground, and he complied.”

Pappas said King did not comply with orders to show his hands, reached for a gun, and the officer was forced to shoot.

“If you just comply with their lawful orders, everything will come out OK,” Pappas said. “ That is the message that needs to be heard. You have to comply with lawful orders of a police officer.”

Pappas said the officer involved in the shooting is regarded as a “really, really good officer."

“It is a dangerous time to be a police officer,” Ginther said.

BBM.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/09/15/13-year-old-shooting-update.html

In my opinion, the "problem" is that a 13 year old was committing an armed robbery, fleeing, and pointed a gun at a police officer.

Replica guns are definitely an issue that we should discuss as a nation, but it is not "why" this shooting happened. It's my opinion that there should be laws that mandate that replicas be striped or bright orange or something that is distinguishable from a distance. An orange tip isn't enough. And kids (and adults) who have access to replicas who want to scare others into thinking they are real guns, can easily do this. But that is a completely separate issue from those who commit CRIMES with replica guns.

Unfortunately, the anti-gun lobby will make this entire situation about THE GUN, and not about the CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR of the 13 year old, and his lifestyle and parenting. The bb gun did not commit this crime, the teenager did. I hold his parents accountable for his behavior, as well. My opinion.

http://player.tout.com/dispatch/i6g9j4 Sept 15 presser w Mayor, then Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs w pic, at 1min:20sec of vid.

Anyone here - seeing that gun w a laser sight, maybe w the little red "dot" on your chest - ready to stake your life by responding as if it is harmless? Count me out

I feel horrible for the officer, the family, and for everyone who is going to be caught up in the aftermath.

It's so hard to reconcile a smiling picture of a 13 year old boy with his football team, with the same boy who committed armed robbery before pointing a weapon at the police.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is what a waste. What a waste of his life, by his own actions, if the initial report is true. What an awful burden for the officer to bear for the rest of his life. This will impact so many, many people, for a very long time.

Depressed.

Where did the kid get the modified BB gun?

Has there been any comments in msm from his family?

Here's a quiz.

Which of the following guns is a real, semi-automatic pistol, and which one is a replica gun (airsoft, or BB gun)? Click on the image so it will be bigger, and you can see more detail. Take all the time you need to determine which is/ are real, and which is/ are fake replicas. Examine them carefully.

sig-sauer-gsr-1911-co2-bb-pistol-kit-3-e1473953357103.jpg

tamir-rice-gun-e1473953182983.jpg

beretta-90two-co2-bb-pistol-laser-6-e1473953292936.jpg

Which is the real gun?

Answer: None of them. The gun in the center is the actual airsoft "toy gun" recovered from Tamir Rice, the teen shot in Cleveland.

The pistols on the top and bottom are BB guns equipped with lasers similar to the one recovered from the body of 13 year-old suspect Tyree King last night. They are commonly sold in stores and online for less than $60. The realistic gun in the middle is one that might be familiar to you. That is the exact gun recovered from Tamir Rice, the 5’7″, 195 lbs assault suspect shot and killed as he attempted to draw a gun from his pants—on camera—in Cleveland on November 22, 2014.

Airsoft and BB guns are commonly used by criminals to commit armed robbery because they are very realistic. Even in perfect lighting when held perfectly still, trained experts have a very difficult time discerning a real handgun from a BB or airsoft gun. They are made to the same scale, have the same controls, and typically are operated by a user the exact same way. The only difference to someone being threatened by these realistic replicas is that they don’t fire large lead bullets.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/15/13-year-old-tyree-king-deserve-shot-probably-heres/

Look at how our sick msm twisted the headline :

Thu Sep 15, 2016 | 9:59pm EDT
White Ohio policeman kills black boy, 13, armed with BB gun

That^^^ disgusts me. They are making it a racial thing and stirring the pot. The other kid ADMITTED they robbed a man at 'gunpoint' and then they tried to run from the cops. None of that made the headline.

As Columbus PD C/P said at presser today & linked above: “Our officers carry a gun that looks practically identical to this weapon…it looks like a firearm that could kill you." Yes,“looks like” it can kill. But even ppl - like this teen - using ‘just’ a BB gun have killed people. Does not take a “firearm”as defined in fed & state laws to kill ppl or a ‘he-man gun’ to inflict great bodily injury or death. Even if this LEO was able to identify the gun as a BB gun, he still would have had reason to fear imminent great bodily harm or death.

A Center for Disease Control study analyzing BB gun injuries, not deaths, states: “…At close range, projectiles from many BB and pellet guns,… can cause tissue damage similar to that inflicted by powder-charged bullets fired from low-velocity conventional firearms (3). Injuries associated with use of these guns can result in permanent disability ordeath (4);…” bbm

From wiki:
“Toy weapons can cause harm like many objects not underproper supervision. BB guns which were sold as toys can and have caused lethal injury…. Unlike most other toys though, much of the danger of these toys is related to mistaking a real weapon for a toy weapon or vice versa.” ** bbm

“BB guns are a type of air gun designed to fire spherical projectiles similar to shot pellets of approximately the same size… usually steel, … 4.3 to 4.4 mm (0.171 to 0.173 in) in diameter. The term BB gun is often incorrectly used to describe a pellet or air gun….”
“A BB …has skin piercing capability, and…can fracture bone.[SUP][4][/SUP] The potential exists for killing someone; .... The effective penetrating range of a BB gun…is approximately 18 metres (60 ft). A person wearing jeans at this distance would not sustain serious injury. However, even at this distance a BB still might penetrate bare skin, and even if not, could leave a severe and painful bruise.” *** bbm

Any MSM on how far apart or close together LEO and teen were? Thx in adv.

Were the officers wearing body cams?

Police in Columbus said they were still seeking video of the shooting, something available when an officer in Cleveland fatally shot Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old with a toy gun, two years earlier. It did not appear the Columbus officers were wearing body cameras. While some officers in the Ohio capital wore cameras during a brief pilot program this summer, Jacobs said this program ended.

BBM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ith-a-bb-gun/?utm_term=.f71c729e75d4#comments

A poster upthread asked about family response. This is the first comment I've seen. The family has an attorney already.

Relatively little information was available Thursday beyond the initial account provided by police, who said they were gathering details, while the 13-year-old’s family questioned this narrative.

“Please do not rush to judgment…. We do not know what he did or did not do,” Sean L. Walton, one of the family’s attorneys, said in a statement. “There are allegations that have been made regarding his actions, and those allegations cannot be taken as factual until a thorough, unbiased investigation has taken place.”

Officer statements were still being gathered Thursday, Jacobs said. Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien said when the investigation is complete, information will be presented to a grand jury to decide about possible criminal charges.

Initial articles misspelled the teen suspect's name:

Attorneys representing Tyre’s family said “numerous witness accounts” contradict what police said happened Wednesday. They described Tyre as a typical 13-year-old who played sports and said behaviors described by police would have been out of character for him. (Police had initially spelled the 13-year-old’s name as Tyree, rather than Tyre.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ith-a-bb-gun/?utm_term=.f71c729e75d4#comments

More detail on the 19 year old, and the encounter where police tried to take them into custody.

Demetrius Braxton, 19, who fled on foot with King, told The Columbus Dispatch that King wanted to rob someone. “I was in the situation,” he said. “We robbed somebody, the people I was with."

After police gave chase, Braxton said, the pair initially heeded police orders to get down, but then King "got up and ran."

"When he ran, the cops shot him," he told the newspaper, adding the bullets hit King four or five times. “I didn’t think a cop would shoot. Why didn’t they Tase him?" Braxton said.

Jason Pappas, president of Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9, told the Dispatch that he spoke with the officer involved.

“Officers do not have the luxury of knowing if it’s a real gun or not,” Pappas said. “So two young men who were suspects in this armed robbery separated and ran. One of them was ordered to show his hands and go to the ground, and he complied.”

Jacobs promised a full investigation of the shooting, with the results to be sent to a grand jury. "We want all the right answers, not quick answers," she said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cer-shoots-kills-13-year-old-bb-gun/90398996/

Police have not released any detail on "where" on his body TK was shot, except to say "multiple times". Where are the entry wounds? How far away was the officer when he fired? Was he shot in the front, or the back? Was he actually running away, or, as police have said, pulled out a replica gun and was shot facing the officer? That will be very critical to the investigation, but I suspect that these details will not be released to the public for a very long time, perhaps months.

"Demetrius Braxton, 19, who fled on foot with King, told The Columbus Dispatch that King wanted to rob someone. “I was in the situation,” he said. “We robbed somebody, the people I was with."

After police gave chase, Braxton said, the pair initially heeded police orders to get down, but then King "got up and ran."
"When he ran, the cops shot him," he told the newspaper, adding the bullets hit King four or five times. “I didn’t think a cop would shoot. Why didn’t they Tase him?" Braxton said."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cer-shoots-kills-13-year-old-bb-gun/90398996/ Sept 15

Do Columbus OH LEOs carry tasers?

Some of Upper Arlington does but IDK about this district.

Upper Arlington police have finished policy development and training for the devices so officers can carry them while on duty.

The department includes 50 officers, however only 15 devices were able to be purchased due to budget constraints. Those are prioritized and signed out by officers patrolling.

"This is our starting point but eventually each officer will be assigned to their own," Officer Shawn Paynter said.

http://www.10tv.com/article/upper-arlington-officers-now-equipped-taser-guns

If a cop is trying to stop an armed suspect, tasing them can be a dangerous thing for the cop to do. Cops want to meet the suspect with the same level of protection, not a step down from it.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-stun-guns-police-killings-20140825-story.html
“Generally a stun gun is usable where there is discretionary time during which the officer has to make a decision about the best course of action," he said. "If the facts are such that deadly force is immediately called for, a stun gun is not a suitable alternative.”

Police records say an Ohio officer's fatal shooting of a 13-year-old with a BB gun happened during a chase of suspects stemming from reports of an armed robbery over $10.

Columbus police say Tyre King was shot in a confrontation in an alley Wednesday night after running from officers investigating a reported armed robbery. Police say he pulled a real-looking weapon from his waistband and was shot repeatedly.

In a recorded 911 call, the robbery victim calmly indicates that he wasn't going to make a big deal over $10 but that other witnesses called to report what happened.

Sirens are heard moments later as police search for the suspects. Then an unidentified witness overhears gunfire and tells a dispatcher: "He's shooting him! Oh, my God!"

http://gazette.com/the-latest-boy-was-slain-by-cop-after-10-robbery-reported/article/feed/398183

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back