Cruise Ship fends off pirate attack

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
OMG :eek:

A luxury cruise line will re-evaluate whether to offer future cruises off the coast of Somalia after pirates attempted to attack one of its ships early Saturday.

The modern-day pirates were in two small boats and carrying machine guns and a rocket-propelled grenade when they attempted the attack on Seabourn Cruise Lines' "Spirit" about 5:35 a.m. local time Saturday, Deborah Natansohn, president of the cruise line, told CNNRadio.

The ship was carrying 150 passengers and a crew of about 160.

The ship, she said, immediately instituted its emergency response system. "The occupants of those boats did not succeed in boarding the ship and eventually turned away ... our captain and crew did a terrific job taking responsive action."

Passenger Mike Rogers of Vancouver, Canada, said the pirates were shooting and sending rockets at the boat.

"The captain tried to run one of the boats over, but they were small boats, about 25 feet long," he told CNNRadio affiliate CKNW in Vancouver.

"Each one had four or five people on it, and (the captain) said he was going to do anything to keep them from getting on board."

The captain, however, did not hit the alarm button to alert passengers of the emergency, Rogers said.

"He announced it over the speakers, because he was scared people would run up on deck, and he didn't want people on deck because they would have been shot."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/11/05/somalia.pirates/index.html

seabourn1.jpg

WOW, that is scary. I have often thought that cruise ships were vulnerable to terrorist type attacks also. Seabourn is an upper class line, not cheap. Hmmm, might rethink furture travel plans. Honestly I am to the point that leaving the country just does not appeal to me anymore. To much stuff going on in the world. The hubby and I usually head to the Caribbean when we need a little R&R but the beaches in the good old USA are looking better every day.

What a horrifying experience. Wow! :eek:

Oh good grief! And my daughter wants to travel Europe next summer after she graduates college. Maybe she'd enjoy a little domestic excursion in the good old U S of A. :(

fran

Shadow205 said:
WOW, that is scary. I have often thought that cruise ships were vulnerable to terrorist type attacks also. Seabourn is an upper class line, not cheap. Hmmm, might rethink furture travel plans. Honestly I am to the point that leaving the country just does not appeal to me anymore. To much stuff going on in the world. The hubby and I usually head to the Caribbean when we need a little R&R but the beaches in the good old USA are looking better every day.
I agree Shadow205, the world is becoming a very scary place, and especially so, for Americans. I receive mailout brochures from Seabourn, not that I would ever consider paying their prices. Too bad that emergency response they have on board the ship, didn't include calling in a couple of strike aircraft, to reduce the number of pirates by a few.

Shadow205 said:
Seabourn is a wonderful ship. I loved it. I am pissed they damaged it.:silenced: (use your imagination as to the ugly words I am thinking.) I think it is funny the captain tried to run over their stealing butts. :laugh: God blessed those passengers and the crew by keeping anyone from getting killed.

Buzzm1 said:
I agree Shadow205, the world is becoming a very scary place, and especially so, for Americans. I receive mailout brochures from Seabourn, not that I would ever consider paying their prices. Too bad that emergency response they have on board the ship, didn't include calling in a couple of strike aircraft, to reduce the number of pirates by a few.
I agree Buzz. :banghead: It is getting unsafe everywhere. I am tired of the loser criminals having so many rights. I do wish someone had taken a few of them out myself.

Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP, granted they had major firepower. But honestly did they really beleive that the captain was going to stop long enough for them the scramble on board!

Pirates?!? They're still around??

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?
It's Rated arrrrrrrrrhhhhh

2luvmy said:
Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP, granted they had major firepower. But honestly did they really beleive that the captain was going to stop long enough for them the scramble on board!
I assume they thought the captain would stop and allow them to steal on board for exchange of not bombing the ship or shooting anyone. If they had attacked the ship at a later time, such as lunch, they might have had more leverage in getting the captain to stop. As is was, almost everyone was still in bed, so no one was on deck in the line of gun fire. Stupid criminals. :waitasec: Not smart enough to even think the crime all the way through. LOL...but most criminals are not the brightest crayon in the box to start with. :crazy:

2luvmy said:
All it would take to get on board would be to threaten to use the rocket launcher to punch a hole below the waterline. Luckily, the ship's captain realized its better to deal with something the crew is trained for (abandoning ship) than something it hasn't (being boarded by pirates).Actually, if the pirates had waited until dark, they probably would have been able to get on board via the ship's launching port, used for sending guests to the main land on excursions, and taken the ship by stealth.

Pook said:
Pirates?!? They're still around??

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?
It's Rated arrrrrrrrrhhhhh
Yeah. They never really went away--just moved their base of operations. But none of them are anything like Johnny Depp. Or even Wallace Beery

OK--why would anyone want to cruise off the coast of SOMALIA??? :eek: That is just asking for it, IMO. Thank God these people are safe and the captain and crew are heroes.

2luvmy said:
Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP,
The Spirit is not a huge ship - only about 300 people onboard - total - and the boats the pirates were using were 25 feet long speedboats.

Remember the 9/11 terrorists has box cutters and nothing else and look what they accomplished.

The was a real narrow escape from what could have been a MAJOR incident. IMO

englishleigh said:
OK--why would anyone want to cruise off the coast of SOMALIA??? :eek: That is just asking for it, IMO. Thank God these people are safe and the captain and crew are heroes.

That was our first thought as well. This wasn't exactly the Virgin Islands.

Sebourne is an extremely upscale luxurious cruise line.. right now the Spirit is on a 16 day cruise from Cairo to Kenya.

They do some fabulous before and after extensions with Egypt tours and Kenyan Safaris.

FYI - the lowest category of cabin is $18,000 USD per person

and the nicest suite is 30,000.00 per person.

This is cruise only - the land extensions are extra :D

Casshew said:
Sebourne is an extremely upscale luxurious cruise line.. right now the Spirit is on a 16 day cruise from Cairo to Kenya.

They do some fabulous before and after extensions with Egypt tours and Kenyan Safaris.

FYI - the lowest category of cabin is $18,000 USD per person

and the nicest suite is 30,000.00 per person.

This is cruise only - the land extensions are extra :D
You can get a rate much cheaper than that. It was only 9050.00(plus gov taxes of course) per person when we went. Sites like VACATIONS TO GO have deep discounts depending on what time of the year you want to go. Yes, all land excursions are extra. It is worth it though.
http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm
More InfoAFRICA800-338-4962 #12536 Info17Nov 8Mombasa, KenyaSeabourn / Seabourn Spirit6.0$10,355$4,39558%Sold Out!#16065 Info30Nov 8Mombasa, KenyaSeabourn / Seabourn Spirit6.0$20,620$10,31050%Suite! Click # For
More Info
ASIA/FAR EAST800-338-4962 #12536 Info17Nov 8Mombasa, KenyaSeabourn / Seabourn Spirit6.0$10,355$4,39558%Sold Out!#16065 Info30Nov 8Mombasa, KenyaSeabourn / Seabourn Spirit6.0$20,620$10,31050%Suite!#12532 Info13Nov 25SingaporeSeabourn / Seabourn Spirit6.0$10,265$3,99561%Sold Out! Click # For
More Info
CARIBBEAN800-338-4962 #12612 Info7Nov 13Fort Lauderdale, FLSeabourn / Seabourn Pride6.0$4,595$1,99557%Sold Out!#12618 Info7Nov 27BarbadosSeabourn / Seabourn Pride6.0$4,595$2,98735%Sold Out! Click # For
More Info
MEXICO/CENTRAL AMERICA800-338-4962 #12490 Info14Nov 20Fort Lauderdale, FLSeabourn / Seabourn Legend6.0$8,325$5,66732%Suite! Click # For
More Info
PANAMA CANAL800-338-4962 #12490 Info14Nov 20Fort Lauderdale, FLSeabourn / Seabourn Legend6.0$8,325$5,66732%Suite! Click # For
More Info
TRANSATLANTIC800-338-4962 #12425 Info11Nov 9Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary IslandsSeabourn / Seabourn Legend6.0$5,475$2,73850%Suite!CALL NOW! THESE DEALS WON'T LAST FOREVER! 800-338-4962

OMG, how scary. I would never have thought, in this day, that a cruise ship could get attacked by pirates..:eek: That would never have crossed my mind.

PIRATES!!! Thank the lord, that everyone aboard the ship is safe.

Casshew said:
What the pirates or the price of that cruise? :D

Seriously, very scary stuff!
The cruise of coarse, silly you!!!!:p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members