GUILTY NY - Dolores Carr, 78, found murdered in her Buffalo home, 30 Oct 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Caution couldn't save woman
East Side victim strangled despite dead bolts, safety alarm, son's visits

Over her casket, mourners will talk about how they all tried to help Dolores C. Carr.

They'll talk about how her son tried, how her councilman tried, how the cops tried. They'll talk about how they'd outfitted her home with deadbolts and an alarm system, how her property had been cleared of tall shrubs that might hide the wicked-minded.

Everybody tried so hard.

But in the end, Carr, 78, died in violence and terror in the middle of the night, and nobody was there to save her.

Police say she died early this week at the hands of a four-time felon who had broken into her home several times over the course of the summer. Early Friday morning, police arrested Donald Washington, 42, and charged him with second-degree murder.

More: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051105/1045681.asp

That was one of the saddest stories I have read recently :(

People can be so cruel.

I agree.... that is heartbreaking. :( Why are people so mean?

And such a frail little lady too... 5'6" and only 90 pounds. Real "tough" these people are...... I don't understand. :(

It takes a lot to disturb me when reading about all the crime in the news... but this story really cuts deep. Very, very disturbing.

My neighbour, a wonderful women, former teacher, widow, grandmother, great-grandmother and disabled because she only had one arm.

Lived alone is a good area, lived in the same house for 40 years, was a fixture in the neighbourhood, "everyones" grandmother, very active, took walks, tai-chi, pilates, yoga, travelled abroad often, had a VERY active social life.

All it took to end this wonderful ladies life - she answered the door, the wrong person was on the other side, rushed her, robbed her, terrified her, took her down to the basement, killed her and then set a fire to cover up evidence.

None of this "killers" low life "friends" came forward, this horrified my City and Community, finally "those" people came forward after a 50K reward was offered.

The "alleged murderer" was a substance abuser, low life street scum, who was out on Parole after being convicted of Bank robberies.

Extensive criminal record, "known" to Police. The Police were so concerned while he was out on Parole, they had the crown try to revoke his bail.

BUT, his wife said that she would supervise him, his "employer" said that he was a "valued" employee who was working to "support" his wife and son.

If his Parole was pulled, he would have been in Prison when my neighbour died. :furious:

Also, my neighbour gave away any valuables she had years earlier when her husband died. She had nothing of value, but lived in an affluent area.

But "this scum" took the most valuable thing she had - Her life. She was 83 years old, slight, but not frail....fiesty.....but very nice.....

Her family, community, friends all miss her terribly. R.I.P. Anne, I miss you.......

My eyes are welling up with tears......I can't type anymore......

CyberLaw said:
My neighbour, a wonderful women, former teacher, widow, grandmother, great-grandmother and disabled because she only had one arm.

Lived alone is a good area, lived in the same house for 40 years, was a fixture in the neighbourhood, "everyones" grandmother, very active, took walks, tai-chi, pilates, yoga, travelled abroad often, had a VERY active social life.

All it took to end this wonderful ladies life - she answered the door, the wrong person was on the other side, rushed her, robbed her, terrified her, took her down to the basement, killed her and then set a fire to cover up evidence.

None of this "killers" low life "friends" came forward, this horrified my City and Community, finally "those" people came forward after a 50K reward was offered.

The "alleged murderer" was a substance abuser, low life street scum, who was out on Parole after being convicted of Bank robberies.

Extensive criminal record, "known" to Police. The Police were so concerned while he was out on Parole, they had the crown try to revoke his bail.

BUT, his wife said that she would supervise him, his "employer" said that he was a "valued" employee who was working to "support" his wife and son.

If his Parole was pulled, he would have been in Prison when my neighbour died. :furious:

Also, my neighbour gave away any valuables she had years earlier when her husband died. She had nothing of value, but lived in an affluent area.

But "this scum" took the most valuable thing she had - Her life. She was 83 years old, slight, but not frail....fiesty.....but very nice.....

Her family, community, friends all miss her terribly. R.I.P. Anne, I miss you.......

My eyes are welling up with tears......I can't type anymore......
I am very very sorry! :(
That is so terrible.
I bet Anne is surrounded by the heavenly angels where life is much better than this hell on earth!!

Prayers and good thought for you and all who loved and knew Anne.

god, that is heartbreaking... and what a cute little old bungalow, looks like it used to be a nice working-class neighborhood, but so common nowadays when more & more neighborhoods become "ghetto-ized".... and, i don't think she was being a "nice old lady" to pick up broken glass from the neighbor's yard,, i think she was probably disgusted & upset, and trying to salvage what diginity was left for her neighborhood!
what is wrong with people, to let their kids run wild and torture a sweet old lady, thet the older neighbors did not protect her, and once again, our system failed us by letting a FOUR-time felon out on the streets?? what is up with that?! now i know why CA has the 3-strikes you're out law. i wish the USA would get tougher with punishment for crime, it's out of control, and there's really no excuse. there is no reason this guy deserves a nice comfy life sentence in jail.. he took a life, & has added nothing to humanity... it's time for him to sacrifice his.

Thank you very much, Prayers for Maura, I appreciate your kind words.

A tree was planted in her memory in our neighbourhood park and when the tree gets a little bit bigger, I am going to plant some very nice flowers in her memory.

The comforting thought I have: Maybe she and her husband are in Heaven, sitting down to have a nice cup of tea, walking hand in hand and smiling.

I am very glad LE finally caught the man who killed her...........when the trial comes up, I am talking time off and going everyday in support of her family.

She was a wonderful women........I do have good memories.

Everyone knew her in the neighbourhood........

From February 2007:

http://www.buffalonews.com/Burglar_gets_life_for_murder_of_woman.html

Donald Washington, a frequently arrested Buffalo burglar, Friday was sentenced to life behind bars for the murder of a 77-year-old Domedion Avenue widow during his fifth break-in at her home two years ago.

State Supreme Court Justice Penny M. Wolfgang, in a sentencing prosecutors predicted will mean Washington, 44, will spend the rest of his life in prison, imposed a 25-year minimum term before he is eligible for parole...

According to court records, the elderly victim was beaten on the head with a hammer and screwdriver and apparently strangled by Washington after she surprised him during the break-in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back