GUILTY NM - Victoria Sandoval, 11, raped & murdered, Albuquerque, 31 Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Those who knew 20-year-old Robert Gonzales described him as "a good boy."

He fixed bikes for kids and raked yards in his West Side neighborhood. He woke up early every Sunday to usher at the 7:30 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Parish.

But on Thursday, Albuquerque police arrested Gonzales and charged him with the murder of 11-year-old Victoria Sandoval, who had been raped and strangled Monday at Rosewood Mobile Home Park, just 3 miles from Gonzales' home.

Gonzales is charged with criminal sexual penetration and an open count of murder. He had told police he went to the girl's home Monday night and that they had sex there for the first time, according to Metro Court criminal complaint.

Gonzales became angry when the girl told him she was younger than he thought. He strangled her after deciding to teach her a lesson, the complaint said.

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_4215158,00.html

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/5248026/detail.html

Man Kills 'Girlfriend' After Finding Out She Is 11

Police in Albuquerque said a man arrested in connection with the murder of an 11-year-old girl has confessed.

Authorities said 20-year-old Robert Gonzales admitted to sexually assaulting Victoria Sandoval before choking her to death.

Investigators acting on a tip took Gonzales into custody Thursday. Police said Gonzales told them he considered her his girlfriend. They said he apparently got upset when he found out she was only 11. Police said the two apparently met last summer.

That's awful! Prayers for the girl's family and friends.

Where the parent's aware their 11 year old was dating a 20 year old???

Pook said:
Where the parent's aware their 11 year old was dating a 20 year old???
Well the link you posted Pook doesn't say much, other than she lived with her grandparents. I've searched elsewhere and haven't found any more information.

That's right - (and I posted this article link)

She's been living with her grandparent's for the past 4 years after her mother's death.

OK - so her Grandparent's didn't know she was dating a 20 year old??

I was the Queen of sneaking out and lying, and I know I couldn't have pulled this off at 11.

I haven't seen a picture of this girl. Is there any way he actually believed she was 15? Or is this just his last best chance?

One family claims he was around younger kids a lot and was "creepy." I wonder if he has a preference for younger girls (even 15 is too young for him!) I also wonder if she lied about her age to others or just him. That's pretty brazen for an 11 yo!

So sad to think she was probably just trying to be cool and have someone like her and not think of her as a little kid, and telling that story to the wrong bad guy led to this. :( He met her outside a middle school and killed her in her own room! Is there anywhere that kids are safe any more?

angelmom said:
I haven't seen a picture of this girl. Is there any way he actually believed she was 15? Or is this just his last best chance?

One family claims he was around younger kids a lot and was "creepy." I wonder if he has a preference for younger girls (even 15 is too young for him!) I also wonder if she lied about her age to others or just him. That's pretty brazen for an 11 yo!

So sad to think she was probably just trying to be cool and have someone like her and not think of her as a little kid, and telling that story to the wrong bad guy led to this. :( He met her outside a middle school and killed her in her own room! Is there anywhere that kids are safe any more?
The one article link says The friend said she had seen Victoria hugging a man they had met at a city pool in July and identified the man as Gonzales in a photo lineup.

angelmom said:

Nope.
Doesn't seem like anywhere is safe.
It is worse in America than it is here in Australia but maybe that's only because we aren't as big as you and don't have as many people.....
We still have our fair share of sickos and people trying to abduct kids are getting more and more brazen in their attempts.
There's been quite a few unsuccessful attempts just lately in my state, but not close to me.
A 12 yr old boy went missing about 3 hrs from where I am, his body hasn't been found ....he was last seen at a bus stop and two guys had stopped and were talking to him...
I keep my child close, some might say I'm over protective but I don't think it's safe for kiddies to be running around the streets by themselves.

The senario that makes more sense, is he has been molesting her since summer and she finally stood up and told him that it was over and she would tell.

I have never met an 11 year old that looked and acted so mature that someone would think they were of age.

Too bad he just didn't kill himself. I wish more parents/guardians realized that at 11 years old, kids STILL need to be supervised at all times.

Jeana (DP) said:
Too bad he just didn't kill himself. I wish more parents/guardians realized that at 11 years old, kids STILL need to be supervised at all times.

From August 2010:

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/1404951metro08-14-10.htm

Robert Jacob Gonzales was visiting his former special education teacher at West Mesa High School when Albuquerque Police Department detectives caught up with him in November 2005.

By the time they had completed their interview, Gonzales, who has significant intellectual disability, had falsely "confessed" to the violent rape and murder of an 11-year-old girl he didn't know in a trailer park he had never visited, court documents state.

Gonzales, who was 20 when he was arrested, spent 968 days in jail before charges were dismissed and a man whose DNA matched that found at the crime scene was charged.

From November 2011:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_19399274

The accused killer of an 11-year-old Albuquerque girl has been sentenced to 59 years in prison.

Israel Diaz pleaded guilty last month to residential burglary and no contest to felony murder, criminal sexual penetration and kidnapping in connection with the death six years ago of Victoria Sandoval.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back