NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-fatally-shoot-man-they-say-wielded-firearm/

Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man they said was armed outside an apartment complex in Charlotte on Tuesday, setting off a tense confrontation between police and protesters that continued late into the night.
A large crowd of demonstrators began gathering near the scene of the shooting Tuesday evening to protest the killing of Keith Lamont Scott, with some people chanting “black lives matter” and “hands up, don’t shoot.” News reports and posts on social media showed police in riot gear firing tear gas at the demonstrators and some people smashing out the windows of police cars.
Police said 12 officers were injured during the demonstrations, one of them hit in the face with a rock.

taking items out of the trucks and setting them on fire on the highway...

Police In North Carolina Fatally Shoot Man Witnesses Say Was Disabled, Unarmed

Police in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Tuesday fatally shot a black man they said was armed as they searched for someone else, sparking protests that injured at least 12 officers. Witnesses said the man who was killed, Keith Lamont Scott, was unarmed and had a disability.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers were searching at the complex for someone else who was wanted on an outstanding warrant, police said in a statement.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57e1c953e4b0e80b1b9efd69

this might be the same situation i posted about that you replied to earlier, sounds very similar...

Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police were searching for a wanted suspect at the Village at College Downs apartments Tuesday afternoon when they ran into Keith Lamont Scott. Officers on scene stated that they observed a man (Scott) get out of a vehicle armed with a gun. Police approached the man after he had gotten back in to his car. As police drew closer to the Scott, he stepped out of the car with the gun and an officer shot him.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Chief Kerr Putney stated that the man posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers. Officers immediately began performing CPR and rendering first aid to Scott after the shooting. He was taken to Carolinas Medical Center where he died of his injuries.

The shooting officer has been identified as Officer Brentley Vinson. Both men are black.

Police have recovered the firearm that Keith Lamont Scott was holding when he was shot.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/keith...deo-brother-officer-name-photos-reading-book/

“Officers observed a subject inside a vehicle in the apartment complex,” police said in the press release. “The subject exited the vehicle armed with a firearm. Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle at which time they began to approach the subject.”

“The subject got back out of the vehicle armed with a firearm and posed an imminent deadly threat to officers who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject,” police said.

Police said Officer Brentley Vinson fired the fatal shot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-fatally-shoot-man-they-say-wielded-firearm/

Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man they said was armed outside an apartment complex in Charlotte on Tuesday, setting off a tense confrontation between police and protesters that continued late into the night.
A large crowd of demonstrators began gathering near the scene of the shooting Tuesday evening to protest the killing of Keith Lamont Scott, with some people chanting “black lives matter” and “hands up, don’t shoot.” News reports and posts on social media showed police in riot gear firing tear gas at the demonstrators and some people smashing out the windows of police cars.

Police said 12 officers were injured during the demonstrations, one of them hit in the face with a rock.

From your link......

Early Wednesday morning, protesters shut down traffic on Interstate-85. Some protesters opened up the backs of tractor trailers, took out boxes and set them on fire in the middle of the highway, WSOC-TV reported. The station spoke to one truck driver who said people stole cargo from her trailer. Police reportedly used flash grenades to break up the crowd and had cleared the highway by early morning.

I am confused. Why would they loot the cargo of semi-truck drivers? They aren't a part of the shooting. It is against federal law for anyone to open up the trailers while it is traveling to its final destination. The truck drivers aren't allowed to ever break the seal themselves and it can only be opened when it has reached its destination listed on the accompanying paperwork the trucker must have at all times. The only ones who can legally break the seal on a semi-trailer are the DOT officers or the State Patrol and even then if they find the load was correct there is paperwork they must give the driver to explain why the seal was breached. This happened on a federally funded highway so this would be a federal crime. They not only broke the seal (which all enclosed trailers must legally have) they destroyed cargo by arson. That too would be charged as a federal crime. Everyone of those who broke these laws should be arrested and charged. No one should be above the law.

I have never understood why these protestors attack those who are totally innocent and in no way a part of why they are protesting or steal and burn things that do not belong to them. These truckers had absolutely nothing to do with this. How awful to be caught up in all of this violence when they were only doing their jobs to bring goods to our cities across the nation. It makes me have flashbacks of the truck driver, RD, who was caught up in that firestorm and lost his life when he became hemmed up in the chaos and mayhem that he wasn't even a part of. I am so glad none of the drivers were hurt this time.

Everyone who shuts down a federal highway should be arrested. They are putting people's lives at risk. It shuts down all the first responders that may need that route to get someone to the hospital quickly. Shutting down main interstate highways is insane imo.

Protesting is not accurate for what I witnessed. Many of those I saw were not protesting...they were vandalizing and attempting to harm passing vehicles. I wish the news would report it using politically incorrect terms. When you have a right, you have responsibilities to utilize that right in a proper way. I heard chants against "whitey". There are some who are trying to protest in a peaceful way to get a message across, but most of what I saw last night was an angry mob using this as a way to loot, vandalize, and yell and attack others with little fear of consequences. But, these are the minority, and do not, IMO, speak or act for the Queen City as a whole.
Charlotte is a great city, and my home. It hurts my heart to see people feel like their lives do not matter in 2016. We have come so far, but still aren't where we need to be.

Police Chief talking now said they (LE) recovered a hand gun, there was NO book.

What do we do in a case like this? There is a faction of people who will firmly believe this was a disabled man sitting reading a book waiting for his son to be dropped off, minding his own business.

How do you bridge that gap? Honestly, video very often doesn't even help because it's often unclear OR people will even argue what's on video plain as day.

After Ferguson there were some heartfelt discussions about this, how we need to bridge this divide and one of the Black leaders noted (correctly) that white people really like to watch black people commit crimes. And it's true. As a culture we are drawn to watching video of looting and vandalizing and fire setting. Media falls all over themselves to get video of Black people behaving badly. Confirmation bias.

Why does the family think he was in his car reading a book? That's a pretty specific statement. Where did that information come from - no one was there from his family, were they? That sounds like a statement pulled out of pure thin air to me.

What do we do in a case like this? There is a faction of people who will firmly believe this was a disabled man sitting reading a book waiting for his son to be dropped off, minding his own business.

How do you bridge that gap? Honestly, video very often doesn't even help because it's often unclear OR people will even argue what's on video plain as day.

After Ferguson there were some heartfelt discussions about this, how we need to bridge this divide and one of the Black leaders noted (correctly) that white people really like to watch black people commit crimes. And it's true. As a culture we are drawn to watching video of looting and vandalizing and fire setting. Media falls all over themselves to get video of Black people behaving badly. Confirmation bias.

I disagree that the race of those carrying out the crimes increases viewership. The fact is, people like watching crime, especially as it unfolds. If this was a group of any makeup of people, audiences would tune in if people block the highway and set fire to things.

I disagree that the race of those carrying out the crimes increases viewership. The fact is, people like watching crime, especially as it unfolds. If this was a group of any makeup of people, audiences would tune in if people block the highway and set fire to things.

I haven't found that to be true. In some semi-violent protests against Trump this election season I don't think anyone has any desire - at all - to click on the video. Like, really, who cares. Roadways were blocked by protesters in anticipation of his arrival and the stories were removed from CNN because . . . no clicks. No one cares.

I haven't found that to be true. In some semi-violent protests against Trump this election season I don't think anyone has any desire - at all - to click on the video. Like, really, who cares. Roadways were blocked by protesters in anticipation of his arrival and the stories were removed from CNN because . . . no clicks. No one cares.

Blocking a roadway is a far cry from looting trucks and setting them on fire and smashing store windows and stealing.

Is anyone watching the Press Conference on CNN? I don't understand a lot of the references that are being made. They pulled away from the guy now - he wasn't making statements about this current case, and I think he began to ramble. Taking heads are now discussing case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni