Lori Ruff Identified as Kimberly McLean of PA

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
The Seattle Times in 2013 published a real-life mystery story about Lori Ruff, who died in 2010, leaving a husband and child in Texas. Years earlier, she had stolen another person’s identity. Who was she really? Finally, we have an answer.

By Maureen O'Hagan
Originally published September 21, 2016 at 12:30 pm Updated September 21, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Special to The Seattle Times

In opposite corners of the country, two families were on flip sides of the same tragic mystery. One, in Texas, had lost a wife to suicide in 2010, then learned that she was not who she claimed. So who was she? All their digging turned up nothing.

The other, in Pennsylvania, had lost a family member, too, back in 1986. The young woman had fled abruptly, leaving no clue. Where was she? They spent 30 years hoping she was alive and safe.

Earlier this year, a former Social Security Administration (SSA) investigator, Joe Velling, became convinced the dead woman, known as Lori Ruff, and the Pennsylvania woman were one and the same.

cont. at the link

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rplexing-mystery-of-identity-thief-lori-ruff/

Now that I've processed the true story I'm starting to wonder why she went to such lengths to lie about certain things. For instance why she lied about her dad being a failed stock broker. Why didn't she just say she wanted nothing to do with her family? So sad. Still thinking about her sister too.

Now that I've processed the true story I'm starting to wonder why she went to such lengths to lie about certain things. For instance why she lied about her dad being a failed stock broker. Why didn't she just say she wanted nothing to do with her family? So sad. Still thinking about her sister too.
Reality is relative. What we're seeing as no big deal, she must have had her reasons for at the time. Maybe she wanted just that much distance between her past and her present.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified. *

Holy crap... Just got done reading from where I left off last night. I hope there is more to come from the news because so much doesn't make sense :/ I feel like I need more lol.

Yeah like who was Kimberly McLean? What was going on those missing 2 years? Did that prompt her to steal an identity? Much we may never know. jmo.

I'm going to say this about her leaving home:
I left home at 16 myself. To everyone who knew my family, including other family members, we looked picture perfect. We were not. Thirty plus years later, I've been back to that town once, and it was for my mother's funeral. She wasn't even in the ground before I was gone again. I still talk to a couple of close family members, but most of the rest didn't want to hear what I had to say. I feel where Kimberly/Lori was coming from. Many times the little frame house with the cute shutters and picket fence is a house of horrors. I'm glad she finally found her peace.

I'm going to say this about her leaving home:
I left home at 16 myself. To everyone who knew my family, including other family members, we looked picture perfect. We were not. Thirty plus years later, I've been back to that town once, and it was for my mother's funeral. She wasn't even in the ground before I was gone again. I still talk to a couple of close family members, but most of the rest didn't want to hear what I had to say. I feel where Kimberly/Lori was coming from. Many times the little frame house with the cute shutters and picket fence is a house of horrors. I'm glad she finally found her peace.

I can relate to this as well, all too well. I've been on my own since 15 and I do not go back often, the few times I have it's been very stressful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I always thought this was one of her more transparent lies. "Stockbroker" sounds like the type of job a lower-middle-class girl would come up with when asked to imagine a white collar profession. I know a few people in that industry, and they never say "stockbroker", when asked about their jobs they say "I'm a trader" or "I work in finance".

FWIW, I think she said he was "failed" in case anyone asked where he worked or was familiar with the industry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back