IL - Antwan Carter, 27, shot to death, Chicago, March 2003

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...-bombshell-i-committed-murder-not-my-brother/
attachment.php

[h=2]BROTHERS[/h] <small>Illinois Department of Corrections</small> Karl Smith, left, and Kevin Dugar

<small class="color printable-newspaper">Hamilton Spectator</small> By Steve Schmadeke
CHICAGO — It was the first time in years that the 38-year-old identical twin brothers had seen each other.

Their mother wept as she looked on.
But this was no typical family reunion.
Karl Smith was on the witness stand Thursday at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago, making an admission seemingly ripped from a made-for-TV movie.
Smith confessed to a murder that his brother, Kevin Dugar, has been in custody for since 2003.
"I'm here to confess to a crime I committed that he was wrongly accused of," Smith testified moments after taking the witness stand.
His mother, Judy Dugar, cried as she listened from the courtroom gallery, while his brother, sitting at a table with his lawyer, wiped tears from his eyes.
But Cook County prosecutors questioned the stunning admission, telling a judge that Smith came forward only after an appeals court upheld his own conviction for attempted murder. He is serving a 99-year prison sentence for taking part in a home invasion and armed robbery in which a 6-year-old boy was shot in the head in 2008.
The two brothers, who dressed alike until eighth grade and impersonated each other for years afterward, still looked identical Thursday with their shaved heads and close-cropped beards. Only their clashing prison clothes set them apart. Smith is doing his time at Menard Correctional Center; Dugar at Stateville Correctional Center.

Growing up, the twins were closer than brothers — they were "one person" who shared socks, shoes and even sandwiches, according to their mother and Smith.
Even their parents couldn't always tell the brothers apart, and on Thursday, Smith struggled to identify himself when shown a photo of the two of them.

Attachments

• B822724414Z.1_20160923115036_000_GSJ1O5ESR.1_Gallery.jpg
    B822724414Z.1_20160923115036_000_GSJ1O5ESR.1_Gallery.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 123
Anyone else remember the Criminal Minds episodes with that plot???

How do twins have different last names ?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/identic...rother-kevin-behind-bars-20160925-gro8ud.html
The men have different last names because Smith changed his last name his mother's maiden name, according to the Tribune.

Growing up the men behaved like "one person," sharing socks, shoes and food.

By the time the men grew up, they were active gang members who sold drugs and impersonated one another.
"We was acting as one," Smith told the court, according to the Tribune. "Where I was, he was, acting like each other. He pretended to be me, and I pretended to be him."

One adopted moms maiden name I think.

But wouldn't a alibi help eliminate who originally did the first crime?

I also understand what the prosecution is saying. But if they would have put both twins pictures in the photo line up. Then the witness would have to really be sure. So why wasn't the twin blame game used years ago.

Theres another case where a twin sits in prison. Hes furious because his twin brother commited the murder and wont fess up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back