MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
attachment.php

"Vanessa Marcotte, 27, was last seen Sunday afternoon while visiting family in Princeton, Mass., police said. Around 1 p.m., she went for a jog — and vanished. Officers found her body in the woods that night about a half mile from her mother’s home."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...c-google-employee-dead-mass-article-1.2742909

Presser Aug 8th
[video=youtube;2D3fmpBEAfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3fmpBEAfU[/video]

In fact, one of the few details investigators have released is that Marcotte did fight back and may have inflicted some injuries on her attacker. Police have asked the public to be on the lookout for anyone with scratches, scrapes or bruises that would have been inflicted around Aug. 7 and to call the anonymous tip line at 508-453-7589.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2016/08/vanessa_marcottes_tweet.html

She had a pattern. Marcotte would visit her mother on a weekends and go for a run before returning to the city on Sundays. If she was the intended victim and her killing was not a random act, Kirby said her weekend runs "would be the place."

http://www.masslive.com/news/worces.../fbi_profiler_on_vanessa_marcotte_killer.html

Video Interview w Unidentified Man in Socks - Says he Gave DNA to LE

Since we don't the man's name it is acceptable to refer to him as Socks or the UI DNA guy. AVOID other variations such as "sockboy" which has a derogatory tone. If you use that or another variation that is derogatory or appears to be name calling your entire post is subject for removal without warning.

Video - Reporter walk thru of Crime Scene

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

That was nice they put signs re: Justice for Vanessa in town with the tip line.

That was nice they put signs re: Justice for Vanessa in town with the tip line.
I agree that is nice. I saw two on Brook Station Road the other day. There may be more around town, but I didn't see any. Princeton is a town where not everyone has internet service, so this is one way to keep VM in peoples thoughts.

Thanks for the tread and for all you do tlcya

7 weeks, not one clue from LE that the public is aware of since the Aug 11th press conference, not how she was killed, not if this killer is/is not the same killer as in the queens murder, nothing.
I know that different LE agencies use different methods to solve crimes, and I also know that in a lot of cases, it is the public that solves the crime, and not LE.
Just for conversation and nothing more, I am going to give two completely scenarios below, and how they were handled. I won't say which works the best. I'll leave that for you to decide. Although one is a murder investigation, the other is a missing persons case where LE assumes the victim is dead, this will show the differences in how press conferences are handled.
This is the first case here. VM.
Below is a link of the Aug 11th press conference. when someone speaks I am not only listening to what they say, but I also read body language. Things like why someones hands are in a certain position, if their legs are crossed while sitting, eye movement, why someone would be fidgeting, etc. Kinesics, is not an exact science, and can mean different things for different people, so I won't comment specificly on why one person is using a particular gesture, but I will give you one small example in this video posted below because not one, but everyone is doing the same thing. When you watch the video, pay attention to every person and how their hands are positioned, hands folded. Using kinesics that means is a sign of projecting authority. I bring this up because I have my own opinion on what LE may/may not know, with each question LE is asked.
When you watch the video, pay attention when the very first question is asked my the media. Look on the right of the screen, and you will see a man step into the picture. This mans name is David Procopio. He is a mass state police spokesman, and it is his job to deal with the media. Watch, and as questions are asked, he is stepping further towards the DA Why? IMO, he wants to silence the media as fast as possible, becauseimo he wants to shut them up, and doesn't want to give them anything, period.

[video=youtube;dfgfp0taR7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgfp0taR7w[/video]

This is the case of Hannah Graham (unrelated). For anyone that is not aware of her case...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Hannah_Graham
Below is a video of a press conference ( one of many) with police chief Longo of the charlottesville va. police dept.. Notice the difference of styles used in dealing with the press.
I am not saying what the ma LE is doing is wrong in any way, but I am saying that 5 weeks after HG was kidnapped, her body was found in a very remote section, on an abandoned property by a man that was driving by, saw buzzards on a rooftop, thought about chief Longo and what he drilled into peoples heads, and decided to call it in as a tip, making it a member of the public, along with others who solved this case.

Due to only one video Allowed per post, this video is posted below

I wonder being 7 weeks later, how many have all but forgotten about VM.
Just a thought.

[video=youtube;6gejcKLXEaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gejcKLXEaA[/video]

They probably know a lot already and don't want to goof up a conviction. Most likely waiting for forensics. This generally seems to be the case when they seemingly are so tight lipped. JMO.

They probably know a lot already and don't want to goof up a conviction. Most likely waiting for forensics. This generally seems to be the case when they seemingly are so tight lipped. JMO.
That could very well be.
I am thinking what type of forensics would take 7 weeks to get results from? The FBI is involved, and I know they can get results much quicker than others
There are several press conferences chief Longo had. step by step progress they were making, and they made it clear they wouldn't answer anything they thought would jeopardize the case. I won't post more videos because I don't want to derail this thread. There are many. My point is, by him doing so, it kept HG locked in peoples mind, and the case never got warm, let alone cold, and in the end,it worked out. JMO

I agree that is nice. I saw two on Brook Station Road the other day. There may be more around town, but I didn't see any. Princeton is a town where not everyone has internet service, so this is one way to keep VM in peoples thoughts.

This is not true. I don't know a single person in Princeton who does not have Internet.

What they do not have is cable. The town has actually voted it down every time it's come up at town meetings.

7 weeks, not one clue from LE that the public is aware of since the Aug 11th press conference, not how she was killed, not if this killer is/is not the same killer as in the queens murder, nothing.
I know that different LE agencies use different methods to solve crimes, and I also know that in a lot of cases, it is the public that solves the crime, and not LE.
Just for conversation and nothing more, I am going to give two completely scenarios below, and how they were handled. I won't say which works the best. I'll leave that for you to decide. Although one is a murder investigation, the other is a missing persons case where LE assumes the victim is dead, this will show the differences in how press conferences are handled.
This is the first case here. VM.
Below is a link of the Aug 11th press conference. when someone speaks I am not only listening to what they say, but I also read body language. Things like why someones hands are in a certain position, if their legs are crossed while sitting, eye movement, why someone would be fidgeting, etc. Kinesics, is not an exact science, and can mean different things for different people, so I won't comment specificly on why one person is using a particular gesture, but I will give you one small example in this video posted below because not one, but everyone is doing the same thing. When you watch the video, pay attention to every person and how their hands are positioned, hands folded. Using kinesics that means is a sign of projecting authority. I bring this up because I have my own opinion on what LE may/may not know, with each question LE is asked.
When you watch the video, pay attention when the very first question is asked my the media. Look on the right of the screen, and you will see a man step into the picture. This mans name is David Procopio. He is a mass state police spokesman, and it is his job to deal with the media. Watch, and as questions are asked, he is stepping further towards the DA Why? IMO, he wants to silence the media as fast as possible, becauseimo he wants to shut them up, and doesn't want to give them anything, period.

[video=youtube;dfgfp0taR7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgfp0taR7w[/video]

This is the case of Hannah Graham (unrelated). For anyone that is not aware of her case...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Hannah_Graham
Below is a video of a press conference ( one of many) with police chief Longo of the charlottesville va. police dept.. Notice the difference of styles used in dealing with the press.
I am not saying what the ma LE is doing is wrong in any way, but I am saying that 5 weeks after HG was kidnapped, her body was found in a very remote section, on an abandoned property by a man that was driving by, saw buzzards on a rooftop, thought about chief Longo and what he drilled into peoples heads, and decided to call it in as a tip, making it a member of the public, along with others who solved this case.

Due to only one video Allowed per post, this video is posted below

I wonder being 7 weeks later, how many have all but forgotten about VM.
Just a thought.

The HG case was a 100% completely different case.

By the time they found her body Jesse Mathews was already well established as the main suspect....he became the main suspect literally the day after the crime because people saw him leave with her, there is even video from the downtown mall where he flips directions to follow her. then after police spoke with him he took off and their was a manhunt for him, eventually finding him in TX. All this going on, and being discussed in the public, and here on websleuths.....wks and wks before her body was even found.

So completely different case, completely different circumstance. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention, culturally there are considerable difference that would play into how LE handles themselves. Cville is very different culturally then around here. If you've lived in both you know what I'm talking about....if you have not, that might be harder to understand, it doesn't make it any less true though.

Thank you Rocky1 for your detailed posts as to differing approaches taken by LE to sharing information with the public. I was greatly impressed with Chief Longo during the tragic Hannah Graham case. As time passes it is hard to stay optimistic that LE is progressing in the Marcotte investigation. When the signs went up it made me worry things were stalled. I am hoping kickoff61 knows things we don't.

This is not true. I don't know a single person in Princeton who does not have Internet.

What they do not have is cable. The town has actually voted it down every time it's come up at town meetings.

There are a lot of people in town who do not have internet (at least decent internet). Those that do either have DSL if you are within a short distance of the town common, dial-up, the rapidly diminishing failed town wireless access, or satellite. They are in the middle of a huge initiative to either build their own run and operating ISP or contract with Comcast. This is probably the number two news story next to VM. Princeton cannot get cable (to this point) due to the power line height and density of the population...the town has never voted down the ability to bring in cable, at least in the 35 years I've lived in or visited family in the town. 90% of the residents would give their right leg for internet. At least with cable, DirectTv is a viable alternative.

The HG case was a 100% completely different case.

By the time they found her body Jesse Mathews was already well established as the main suspect....he became the main suspect literally the day after the crime because people saw him leave with her, there is even video from the downtown mall where he flips directions to follow her. then after police spoke with him he took off and their was a manhunt for him, eventually finding him in TX. All this going on, and being discussed in the public, and here on websleuths.....wks and wks before her body was even found.

So completely different case, completely different circumstance. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention, culturally there are considerable difference that would play into how LE handles themselves. Cville is very different culturally then around here. If you've lived in both you know what I'm talking about....if you have not, that might be harder to understand, it doesn't make it any less true though.
Right. Paragraph one, third sentence explains that, but thank you for reiterating.

There are a lot of people in town who do not have internet (at least decent internet). Those that do either have DSL if you are within a short distance of the town common, dial-up, the rapidly diminishing failed town wireless access, or satellite. They are in the middle of a huge initiative to either build their own run and operating ISP or contract with Comcast. This is probably the number two news story next to VM. Princeton cannot get cable (to this point) due to the power line height and density of the population...the town has never voted down the ability to bring in cable, at least in the 35 years I've lived in or visited family in the town. 90% of the residents would give their right leg for internet. At least with cable, DirectTv is a viable alternative.

Town selectmen have voted it down in the past. I know this to be from people who are town officials. They have had opportunities in the past but turned it down because the costs would simply be to high and cost tax payers too much. There was even Landmark articles about it. I did not just grabbed that fact out of thin air. They are currently working with Comcast now to reevaluate.

Thank you Rocky1 for your detailed posts as to differing approaches taken by LE to sharing information with the public. I was greatly impressed with Chief Longo during the tragic Hannah Graham case. As time passes it is hard to stay optimistic that LE is progressing in the Marcotte investigation. When the signs went up it made me worry things were stalled. I am hoping kickoff61 knows things we don't.
You are welcome.
The signs were put up by her friends to keep her in their thoughts. Don't give up hope.

Right. Paragraph one, third sentence explains that, but thank you for reiterating.

I reread what you wrote but I do not see what sentence you are referring to that would explain this?

This is your third sentence "Just for conversation and nothing more, I am going to give two completely scenarios below, and how they were handled"

I just think the HG case is far too different a case to be comparing how LE handled that, to how LE is handling this.

They had video footage, they had a missing person, the had a prime suspect within hours.....it was just a very different case. And I'm not seeing how comparing LE's reaction to each other is helpful to us here. I'm just not seeing the significance of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth