GUILTY MA - Julie Keown, 31, fatally poisoned, Waltham, 20 Aug 2004

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A radio personality in Missouri has been accused of killing his wife in Massachusetts by poisoning her with a chemical found in anti-freeze.

James Keown, who formerly lived in Waltham, was arrested Monday morning at KLIK-AM in Jefferson City, where he hosts a talk show.

The DA says Keown allegedly poured the poison into his wife's Gatorade, which was undetectable.

Coakley also alleges there may have been a financial motive to the murder.
http://www.wcsh6.com/home/article.asp?id=28344

James P. Keown talked regularly about killings and court cases. Every Tuesday, the radio talk show host would interview the local prosecutor about mid-Missouri's most high profile crimes.

On Monday, Keown went from newsbreaker to newsmaker - arrested during a commercial break on his morning radio show for allegedly murdering his wife in Massachusetts last year.

Keown, 31, of Jefferson City, agreed during a brief court hearing later Monday to be extradited to Massachusetts to stand trial for allegedly poisoning his wife, Julie Keown, 31, by spiking her Gatorade with a chemical found in antifreeze.

By late Monday afternoon, when Keown normally have would resumed his show on Jefferson City radio station KLIK, he instead was the top news story.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/13107325.htm

Prosecutors said James Keown, 31, began poisoning his wife when the couple moved to Massachusetts in January 2004, after he lied to her about being accepted to Harvard Business School.

Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley said the motive for the killing may have been financial: The couple was broke, and Julie Keown, 31, had a $250,000 life insurance policy. Her husband was never able to collect because the death came under investigation.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...r,1,248796.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

The life James Keown promised his wife in Massachusetts turned out to be nothing but a deception, authorities claim.

Julie Keown thought she was moving here so her husband could attend the prestigious Harvard Business School. But soon, she was sick with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a rash on her leg.

Eight months after moving to Massachusetts from her native Missouri, Keown was dead at age 31.

Authorities say she was slowly poisoned by her husband, who allegedly poured antifreeze into her Gatorade over a four-month period until she ended up in a coma and succumbed within days in September 2004.
http://www2.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BOS8690/

Link to excerpts from his blog. He was having a grand time in the days leading up to his arrest!

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=111046

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8VHVWhepSIoJ:jameskeown.blogspot.com/+&hl=en

snip

Oct. 15, 2005: “Irish Blessing”

16 years ago at the Cole County Fair I made a lifelong friend. Her name is Julie. I would be hard pressed to name anyone who was closer friend. Sure I had friends who I spent more time with, but Julie was someone who really knew me.

College, jobs, marriages took us in different directions for over a decade. And a chance encounter in the throw pillow section of a store brought us back together. We’ve both had our share of ups and downs that have made us the people we are today. I was amazed to find how much we had grown together through our individual life experiences, even though we were apart for so long. And while no one knows what the future holds . . . I can only thank God, as the Irish blessing goes, for holding us both in the palm of his hand until we were able to meet again.

Oct. 31, 2005: “Saturday in the Park”

Friday, I made my way to St. Louis to spend the weekend with the girls – Julie and Lilly the puppy . . . I’ve written before how much I enjoy Lafayette Square, where Julie lives. This weekend, with the weather so perfect, we spent some time with Lilly in Lafayette Park. It was impossible for us not to smile as we watched Lilly frolic through the leaves on the ground.

Nov. 5, 2005: “Sing Me a Song Piano Man”
Friday night at the Penguin a rowdy, yet somewhat swanky piano bar in Columbia.
My boss – Brian, Cubby Matt, Maggie, Hollye, A.P., Candice and her boyfriend Chris were all in attendance. Talk about a great night – filled with sing-a-longs led by the dueling pianos. I should note that my vocal cords are definitely paying the price this morning. You see, you don’t just sit there and quietly mouth the words to the songs. Oh no! You stand up and BELT out the tunes with everyone else.

What an @$$! :slap:

He sure doesn't sound like a grieving widower in his blog postings. I guess he had moved on.

Geez, another story where the husband made up a pack of lies and then killed his wife. If my husband ever tells me he's going back to school, I'm going to run for my life.

Mabel said:
Geez, another story where the husband made up a pack of lies and then killed his wife. If my husband ever tells me he's going back to school, I'm going to run for my life.

No joke. I would run for the hills!

When I heard about this, I immediately thought of the gal from Utah. :(

It sounds like there is more than one Mark Hacking out there. It's scary, especially since his wife probably never once suspected him.

SewingDeb said:
It sounds like there is more than one Mark Hacking out there. It's scary, especially since his wife probably never once suspected him.
Geez, to think I get made when my husband lies to me about how many beers he drank with his buddies!

I wonder why this man felt it necessary to lie to his wife. It appears he already had a pretty good career. I just don't understand it.

So another coward who wants to appear to "be the big" man, who in actually is a "coward" lies to his wife, and then to save face "kills" her.

Then wants to live the "high" life with 250K in insurance money.....

Then wife is none the wiser, what a betrayal of "love, wedding vows" and "partners" when a husband kills the women who loves him.

Thanks. I've been looking through several articles but I can't find whatever happened in November!

nope, that would be yet another guy who fed his wife antifreeze. I was listening to his trial today, which made me think of James Keown and wonder whatever happened to his trial.

thank you for looking though!

It sounds like he has probably been to trial. I wonder why there isn't anything saying that he has or hasn't? Odd.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r...g?articleid=1083704&srvc=home&position=recent

In the spring of 2004, Julie Keown developed a mysterious illness that baffled her doctors.
T
he otherwise healthy 31-year-old nurse was nauseous, dizzy, tired, and had diarrhea, slurred speech and a rash on her leg.

After several months trying to find out what was causing her illness, Julie e-mailed a friend and said she considered herself lucky to have her husband, James...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back