537 users online (80 members and 457 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I hadn't noted that 3 counties were involved. I'm hoping that you are able to get in touch with Linda's uncle from his post on the missingin site and he'll provide clarity at the very least on the dates/locations the family is aware of.

The fact that the couple supposedly stopped in Stinson Beach and contacted relatives from there intrigues me. Why Stinson Beach? And I continue to wonder about the age difference and how a MT woman meets and begins a relationship with a 17-18 year old in NJ. Just thinking aloud with no reason to believe it might have relevance re: their disappearance, but I wonder if they were fans of the Grateful Dead. The Dead played in NY, NJ, and PA in Sept. 1973, and they also played at the Oakland Coliseum on June 8. 1974. Jerry Garcia lived in Stinson Beach in 1974. Just a thought.

Request for info.

Today I sent off an inquiry letter to the Marin County Sheriff's Office asking for Stephen's Missing Person Report.

Quote Originally Posted by burblestein View Post
    Today I sent off an inquiry letter to the Marin County Sheriff's Office asking for Stephen's Missing Person Report.
    Did anything ever come of this?

Unfortunately not.

I figured as much. Thanks for trying anyway.

Stephen attended Princeton Day School in Princeton, NJ. He can be found in class and sporting teams photos (as can his father whom was head of the English department) at - http://www.digifind-it.com/princetonday/yearbooks.php#

His father passed away in 2011. If you google "George V. Packard" there is links to the books he wrote and various biographies.

Better link?

Very interesting, katgirl. Do you have a better link to share? I tried this one, and found myself using a
    Search function that turned up his dad, but I didn't spot him.

Very interesting, katgirl. Do you have a better link to share? I tried this one, and found myself using a
    Unfortunately the search function doesn't seem to search the names under class and team photos so I have attached screenshots. His siblings can also be found in the yearbooks, which is how I verified it was him. Screenshot_20180214-150820.jpgScreenshot_20180214-132756.jpgScreenshot_20180214-123518.jpg

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I also found a more indepth article, in a book by the same author as the 1977 New York Times piece, it's longer but mainly focuses on Steve's mother's life. Interestingly there is no mention of the June 10th departure date and instead states it was a sunny Saturday morning in June that the pair departed. Also that Steve's sister's boyfriend was electrocuted four days after Steve and Linda left, not four days before.

Perhaps, the June 10th date was an error and instead it should have been the 1st, which would tie in much better with the statement, both present in the NY Times article or the longer article by the same author, that Steve was writing home to his mother roughly every three days for three weeks, before the postcards stopped.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2