chimeras - WHAT IF DNA IS WRONG?

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I watched this highly unusual documentary about a month ago and found it very interesting.

A woman who DID GIVE BIRTH TO HER CHILDREN - almost had them taken away because DNA testing PROVED THEY WEREN'T HERS. The LE thought her boyfriend and her were hiding something "sinister".... then she found out about another woman across the states that had the same problem....

CHIMERA'S ARE FUSED TWINS.... where one baby is born seemingly healthy, often with NO anomolies or strange issues. These chimera children have 2 SETS OF DNA - the twins are NOT identical... but fraternal.

Now think about the consequences. Some scientists believe that this Chimera rate could be as high as 30 people per 1000 of "normal" twins birth rate. It took scientists quite sometime to determine that the above lady INDEED had two sets of DNA within her body.... they had to test various tissues in her body to determine this.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligence/issue17/vanishingtwins.html

http://www.rotten.com/library/sideshow/siamese-twins/chimeras/

SO MY QUESTION OR CONCERN HERE IS THIS: WHAT IF??? there are people with this Chimera anomaly that have been either A: wrongly convicted or B: got away with bloody murder.

This is most interesting to me. I have heard of cases where men had one DNA result from blood tests and a different result from their sperm. This could explain it.

Maybe this should be looked at much more closely than it has been as far as using DNA to rule someone in or out for a crime.

Pook said:
CSI did an episode on this.

I saw that episode. One thing that confuses me- don't identical twins have identical DNA? So it must be fraternal twins where one dies before birth?

mysteriew said:
I saw that episode. One thing that confuses me- don't identical twins have identical DNA? So it must be fraternal twins where one dies before birth?
It is on fraternal twins where the ONE BABY BORN has both DNA.... because that child very early on "swallowed" the fraternal twin (fused, morphed, whatever) and they became one person. and only one baby is born with the fraternal twin within itself. Often Chimeras only have a trace of the other person's DNA within it's system and once in awhile, it is born with both sexes (hermaphrodite). There was one baby on the documentary where literally as if someone drew a line straight down the middle of the child. One half was light coloured black baby and the other was of a darker black child. One half had female genitals and the other had a partial penis & scrotum. As Kramer on Seinfeld said "God is a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddd scientist".

Sounds so weird.

BTW, didn't know CSI did a show on this, I'll have to watch for the rerun.

Feb. 2018
https://www.livescience.com/61890-what-is-chimerism-fused-twin.html
Twins often feel like they have a special connection, but for one California woman, the connection is particularly visceral — she is her own twin.

The woman, singer Taylor Muhl, has a condition called chimerism, meaning she has two sets of DNA, each with the genetic code to make a separate person. The rare condition can happen during fetal development; in Muhl's case, she had a fraternal twin that she absorbed in the womb, she told People magazine.

The condition explains why Muhl has what appears to be a large birthmark on her torso. One side has a different skin pigmentation color than the other side — the result of her twin's DNA.
Muhl has a type of chimerism called tetragametic chimerism. This can happen in cases of fraternal twins, where there are two separate eggs fertilized by two separate sperm, and the two zygotes "merge and form one human being with two different cell lines," said Dr. Brocha Tarshish, a clinical geneticist at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, in Miami, who is not involved in Muhl's case. This happens very early in embryonic development, Tarshish said.

Most of the time, people with chimerism probably go undiagnosed, Tarshish said. Indeed, without specific biomedical tests (such as genetic testing), it's impossible for doctors to tell that a patient is a chimera, according to a 2009 paper about the condition. But there may be subtle clues to this condition: Some people with chimerism have "patchy" skin coloration (like Muhl does) or different-colored eyes, the paper said. In some cases, chimerism is diagnosed when a person is found to have two different blood types.

I tend to believe chimerism might be the cause of sexual identity confusion in children. If a boy swallows/absorbs a girl twin, it might be possible that the female aspect is present in the brain of a male child and visa versa.

I presented this theory a few years ago and everyone thought I was a nut job.

I tend to believe chimerism might be the cause of sexual identity confusion in children. If a boy swallows/absorbs a girl twin, it might be possible that the female aspect is present in the brain of a male child and visa versa.

I presented this theory a few years ago and everyone thought I was a nut job.
Have to agree with you, was actually thinking the same thing, ( not the nut job part ) we have so much to learn about human development, very interesting and complicated stuff.
There have been a couple of cases where UID persons gender was misidentified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back