VA VA - Alicia Showalter Reynolds, 25, Culpeper County, 2 March 1996

kemo

Reaction score
Alicia Reynolds, a grad student a John Hopkins, was driving from Baltimore south to Charlottesville, on Route 29, 5 miles south of Culpepper, to meet up with her mother. Another driver saw her standing next to her car with a man who was looking under her raised hood. It looked like she had broken down and the man was helping her.

Her car was later found at that spot, in perfect running order. Her body was found in a field about 15 miles away. Investigators learned that a number of women in that part of Virginia had encountered a man driving a pick up who tried to get them to pull over while pointing at their car as if something was wrong. Two women accepted his help and were taken to local service stations without problem but nothing turned out to be wrong with their cars. One woman, Carmelita Shomo accepted a ride and the man attacked her but she was able to get away but broke an ankle in the process. Law Enforcement named the unknown perpetrator the Route 29 Stalker although some of the incidents were on other roads in that general area of Virginia.

In June 2002, a 15 year old girl, who had been abducted off of the streets of Columbia SC and sexually assaulted in an apartment, escaped from her captor and was taken to the police. Her abductor, Richard Evonitz, knew he was in trouble and fled in his car to Florida. There, surrounded by police and under attack by a police dog, he fatally shot himself.

In his apartment. Law Enforcement found some notes and news clippings concerning three murders of young girls in Spotsylvania, Va in 1996-97. He had lived near there at the time. Further forensic tests confirmed that he had committed these murders.

Along with the notes on those crimes was what appeared to be directions to the area where Alicia's body was found. The directions were not that clear and there was nothing else tying him to the Route 29 Stalkings. Still, he was definitely considered a suspect but the investigation went nowhere and eventually went cold.

Then, in 2004, Darrell Rice was arrested for the assault of Carmelita Shomo. He was doing federal time for the 1997 assault of a female bicyclist in Shenandoah National Park. He had recently been charged with the high profile 1996 murder of Julie Williams and Lillie Winas, also in Shenandoah NP but those charges were dropped after DNA evidence cast doubt on his guilt.

The case against Rice for Shomo abduction was not strong. There was no physical evidence against him and the prosecution did not attempt to link Rice to any other Route 29 cases. The only evidence introduced was Shomo's testimony that she was "100% sure" Rice was the guy. The defense countered with evidence that Shomo had previously "positively identified" two other men and raised serious questions of her credibility. Before the case went to the jury, the prosecution offered a Rice a deal: take an Alford's Plea to a lessor charge and he could use federal time already served to complete the sentence. While this is technically a conviction on the case, it was pretty much the equivalent of dropping the charge. Rice served no additional time for the conviction and he still claims he is innocent. The Alicia Reynolds case and the other Route 29 Stalker cases are still unsolved.

It just so happens that one of the suspects Carmelita Shomo had identified was Richard Evonitz and the DNA evidence that caused the Williams/Winas case to be dropped was a partial profile found on duct tape used to bind Williams that could not have come from Rice but Evonitz was of the 8% of the male population that it could have.

Could Evonitz have committed the Williams/Winas killings, the Alicia Reynolds killing, and perhaps other murders of women in Virginia including the Colonial Parkway murders? His know crimes all involve abducting very young girls and sexually assaulting them before killing them. These other cases are very different but he wouldn't be the first Serial Killer whose MO "evolved" over time.

My sister, Cathy Thomas, along with her girlfriend Rebecca Dowski, were the first two victims in the Colonial Parkway Murders. Based on everything we know, I don't think that Richard Evonitz was connected with the Colonial Parkway Murders. The cases are very different-- the Colonial Parkway case involves four couples, one lesbian and three straight, in lovers lane situations. Very different from the crimes that Evonitz was associated with before his death.

I do agree that some killers will modify their techniques over time, and in the interest of being thorough, Evonitz should be checked against the Colonial Parkway Murders, the Julie Williams and Lollie Winans case and the Alicia Showalter Reynolds/Route 29 Stalker case, but it is a real long shot that they are a match.

This story runs in the Richmond Times Dispatch this Sunday, October 9, which is the 30th anniversary of the Colonial Parkway Murders, starting with the death of our sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski.

http://video.richmond.com/30-years-after-the-Colonial-Parkway-murders-31478839

There are other stories linked in the Colonial Parkway Murders section.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

This is so sad. Seriously my worst nightmare. I'm the same age as Alicia.
Someone surely had to have seen her getting into his truck?

I'm only a few years younger than Alicia and remember very well seeing the case on UM when it originally aired: it definitely stuck with me. One of the one's that you can't let go of because it seems solvable.

Am I correct in understanding that the abductee from February 23rd, 1996 (Carmelita Shomo) identified Darrel David Rice?

Does anyone know if there was any hair or DNA in the Reynolds case? If so, it would seem like maybe they could try and get a profile from that and go the genealogical route.

I'm only a few years younger than Alicia and remember very well seeing the case on UM when it originally aired: it definitely stuck with me. One of the one's that you can't let go of because it seems solvable.

Am I correct in understanding that the abductee from February 23rd, 1996 (Carmelita Shomo) identified Darrel David Rice?

Does anyone know if there was any hair or DNA in the Reynolds case? If so, it would seem like maybe they could try and get a profile from that and go the genealogical route.

Showalter’s remains were found 10 weeks after her abduction. This would have been springtime with warming weather. A considerable amount of decomposition would have occurred. The results of the autopsy have not been disclosed so we don’t know if a sexual assault occurred. There have been no reports of any forensic evidence including DNA.

Darrel David Rice has been “ technically” convicted of this crime but observers of the case generally consider it a sham. His Alford Plea ( technically a guilty plea) was for zero additional prison time or parole beyond the conviction for a different crime he was already serving. For Rice, this was a great deal, better really than just dropping the charges: no penalty and, due to double jeopardy, he could never be charged later if new evidence was discovered. The Federal prosecutors could still claim it as a “Win”. Cynics suspect that the prosecution knew he was innocent otherwise they would have demanded a full confession for the same deal. It seems highly unlikely that any usable DNA was available. If it was a match to Rice, he’ed be locked up today. If it wasn’t a match, things wouldn’t have gone as far as they did.

Carmelita Shomo was somewhat problematic as a witness. She apparently spoke with a heavy accent and when she initially reported the crime, the local investigators either didn’t understand her or didn’t believe her and her report wasn’t taken seriously until after the Showalter Reynolds abduction. She was then quick to make positive identifications of other suspects. Had a composite been made or a more thorough description of the suspect and his vehicle been made at the time Shomo reported the crime, the investigation might have been more successful.

Thank you for bumping this up.

“Police later found Reynolds’ Mercury Tracer about three miles outside the town of Culpeper with a white napkin underneath the windshield wiper blade. Reynolds’ body was found fifteen miles from her car.

“That would have been Alicia trying to show, you know, that there’s trouble with her car. She put a napkin out,” Sadie Showalter said.

Reynolds’ mother said police also found her cell phone number written down on a piece of paper inside the car.

At the time of the incident, police received several reports from witnesses who allegedly saw Reynolds’ car parked on Route 29, and her appearing to receive assistance from a white man in his late 30s or early 40s. Reports say the man looked to be between 5′10″ and 6′ tall.

Several other women reported to police a similar-looking man on the same stretch of road, who also tried pulling them over to let them know something was wrong with their vehicles.

“It almost feels like when you look at that whole Route 29 story and the stalker idea, that he was sort of honing his skills on how to stop women and get them. And Alicia happened to be the one that he took,” Sadie Showalter said.

After investigating more than 10,000 leads, Virginia State Police are still investigating who killed Reynolds.”

I’ve wondered if they ruled out Randy Taylor, who was convicted of killing Alexis Murphy in 2013 and suspected in the disappearance of Samantha Clarke in 2010? So many murders and disappearances in the Route 29 corridor:

Wanted to cross-post, Alicia Showalter Reynolds was mentioned on the Gilgo Beach LISK serial killer thread:

Today, something caught my eye. When he got married the first time he was working in Freeport for Greer Construction Corporation.

That is very near both the Sunrise Hwy and Meadowbrook Parkway, close to Merrick. I keep thinking that, at some point, he may have crossed paths with J Bittrolff who had his own construction company called Coastal Construction.

Then I saw that the home in
Palmyra, VA was associated with his family as early as 1994 until about 2014. I remembered a websleuth’s member brought up the 1996 murder of Alicia Showalter Reynolds. She was last seen on Rt 29 in the Culpepper area. Rt 15 meets Rt 29 in that area and goes directly to Palmyra. Alicia was found in a deserted area, in Lignum, “the killer covered her body with sticks and pine tree branches about 30 feet off of a loney gravel road used primarily by woodcutters.” This was similar to how JT’s torso was found in Manorville.

I looked at the suspect sketch and then found the picture of RH in the first wedding announcement. The suspect description in Alicia’s case was described, as he was looking into her engine, as being as tall as 6 ft, white and in his early to mid 30s. I’m thinking he really resembled that sketch when compared to his first wedding picture. Can anyone here find out if he owned a small green pickup truck in 1996?

View attachment 438882

Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #6

I do not believe that her case is connected to the Gilgo Beach cases. Having followed the Showalter investigation for years, I am convinced that Darrell David Rice is the culprit. In fact I find it hard to believe that the authorities have failed to make a case against him that is sufficient for an indictment.

I do not believe that her case is connected to the Gilgo Beach cases. Having followed the Showalter investigation for years, I am convinced that Darrell David Rice is the culprit. In fact I find it hard to believe that the authorities have failed to make a case against him that is sufficient for an indictment.
They had him and he was on trial for Lollie Winans and Julie Williiams 1996 murders in Shenandoah NP. Just before jury selection, DNA found at the crime scene did not match Rice. The case was dismissed 'with prejudice' meaning they could still put him on trial at a later date. They never did.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not Rice did it. He is supposedly a 'bipolar schizophrenic' per one article I read and it was going untreated. (I'd never heard of a bipolar schizophrenic and that was only source where I saw it mentioned.) I have a hard time seeing the behavior of the guy trying to stop women on Hwy 29 matching the behavior of Rice assaulting the cyclist in 1997 BUT if his condition was untreated he could have gotten worse. I do wonder about the unknown DNA found at the scene and if it is unrelated to the murders. Of course, Rice could be innocent of the Winans/Williams murders but still responsible for Alicia's murder. I also don't see a connection with the Gilgo Beach cases.

They had him and he was on trial for Lollie Winans and Julie Williiams 1996 murders in Shenandoah NP. Just before jury selection, DNA found at the crime scene did not match Rice. The case was dismissed 'with prejudice' meaning they could still put him on trial at a later date. They never did.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not Rice did it. He is supposedly a 'bipolar schizophrenic' per one article I read and it was going untreated. (I'd never heard of a bipolar schizophrenic and that was only source where I saw it mentioned.) I have a hard time seeing the behavior of the guy trying to stop women on Hwy 29 matching the behavior of Rice assaulting the cyclist in 1997 BUT if his condition was untreated he could have gotten worse. I do wonder about the unknown DNA found at the scene and if it is unrelated to the murders. Of course, Rice could be innocent of the Winans/Williams murders but still responsible for Alicia's murder. I also don't see a connection with the Gilgo Beach cases.
As I understand it, the phrase "with prejudice" would mean that he could not be tried at a later date. If the judge wanted that option, the case would have to be dismissed without prejudice.

Although there were a number of descriptions of the vehicle driven by the man who abducted Alicia none of them matched Darrell D Rice’s blue Ford pickup.
The assault and attempted abduction that Rice was imprisoned for was chaotic and unsuccessful, whoever abducted Alicia seemed a lot more organised, methodical and on first impressions probably very charming.

I don't know enough about Alicia Showalter Reynolds' case to weigh in on who I think might be responsible. When I posted above it was to link both threads, as she was mentioned on the LISK/Gilgo Beach killer thread. In all these cases, just hope the families get answers.

It's a shame that the UM episode didn't lead to more concrete tips, but maybe it still can b/c it's on YouTube

possibly Alan Wade Wilmer SR? His 1988 Photo kind of matches up with his looks and drove a blue truck similar to the one described

Attachments

• IMG_6722.jpeg
    IMG_6722.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6723.jpeg
    IMG_6723.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Online statistics