Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsAnais

Verified Clinical Psychologist (AU)
Reaction score
The young woman in this case apparently met the man whose apartment she fell from on Tinder. Police are calling the death suspicious and the investigation is continuing.

Police have positively identified a woman who died after she fell from a Surfers Paradise high-rise apartment building.

The woman has been identified as 26-year-old Warriena Tagpuno Wright from Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Around 2.20am on Friday officers were called to the Wahroonga Place building after receiving reports that a woman had fallen from a balcony.

Police have confirmed the death is being treated as suspicious.

......The 28-year-old man who is the sole occupant of the apartment, Gable Tostee, was assisting police with inquiries on Friday afternoon. He was not formally arrested and no charges have been laid.

Tagpuno Wright was reportedly visiting Tostee after meeting him through an online dating app, believed to be Tinder, the Courier Mail reported.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/10367377/Kiwi-dies-after-Surfers-Paradise-balcony-fall

10367479.jpg

Gable Tostee, man at centre of investigations into Surfers Paradise highrise death plunge of Warriena Wright, charged with murder

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...plead-not-guilty/story-fnje8bkv-1227025428311

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Media/Timeline Thread

Gable Tostee murder trial: Jury hears last chilling moments of Warriena Wright’s life
Kim Stephens, news.com.au
October 11, 2016

4742be6316ae95b1ef103090d8d9d490

THEY could have been any happy young couple on a Tinder date.

Six selfies tendered to the Brisbane Supreme Court on Tuesday showed a smiling Warriena Wright and a shirtless Gable Tostee inside his Gold Coast apartment and gave no hint of the tragic events that were about to unfold in the early hours of August 8, 2014.

Well I hope the mongrel that is Tostee or Eric Thomas or whatever he next changes his name to goes down for a very long time. He can dress differently, dramatically change his appearance by piling on weight, appear remorseful and plead all he likes but I hope the judge throws the book at him and looks back on all the other peculiarities when making their decision.

I worked in the same building as Rrie - she worked at Kiwibank in Wellington - and I knew her in passing. I didn't get to know her as a person, unfortunately, but she seemed like a lovely person - a real 'life of the party' sort with no bad bones in her body. I used to see her in the lift quite a bit; she'd always greet me with a big smile and I would reciprocate; we'd chat about the weather and make small talk - she seemed like such a ray of sunshine. I feel very sad for her family and friends having to listen to what happened that night.

This must be very, very difficult for Warriena's family and friends. There are reports that her mother had to leave the courtroom at one point. But they are there to show their love and support for their girl, and I hope that the outcome of the trial can offer them some small solace.

Thanks for sharing.

Totally agree Strangeworld. Irrespective of the antagonists, Tostee is going to jail. Whether that be for murder or manslaughter the is going to jail. And I bet not one of his 'supporters' will pay him a visit.

Exactly! The evidence is already speaking for itself. Thank you so much Makara and everyone for the updates today. I'm just catching up on all the posts :loveyou:

Irrespective of the antagonists, Tostee is going to jail. Whether that be for murder or manslaughter the is going to jail..
<modsnip>

I can assure you with 100% accuracy, unless the Crown finally coughs up some hard evidence to show he caused her death, he is walking. I know it, Saul Holt knows it, so does every legal eagle in Qld. Its a forgone conclusion.

Exactly! The evidence is already speaking for itself.
Really? What evidence is speaking a conviction?

<modsnip>
I never tried to knock Warriena.... she's dead, how much worse can it get.
And the tapes, though I've heard them many times, are awful.
No-one seems to cut some slack that these were 2 people who should have called it a night hours earlier. They met for a good time, maybe they did for a while...
Then it dragged on, they both got a bit too boozed up.
They didn't know one another,,, so when it went wrong, it really went wrong.
If GT had been in a house, he would have slung her out the front door... and maybe relented later and caller her a taxi home and thrown her shoes after her.
The choice he made in pushing her onto the balcony, or maybe locking her out after she ran there, was very very bad, but how did he know she would try to get over the balcony?
I guess, he thought she would calm down a little and he could get her home after. Bad judgment.
W was so off her head, sadly her inebriation went to aggression. She thought she was in control, she was just plain ugly drunk.
Her terror is obvious but I think a reasonable or less drunk person might not have reacted the same way.
We'll have to see how the trial goes of course, I'm afraid GT is still a bit delusional about how it will turn out.
His behaviour in putting her on the balcony, IMO, was reckless endangerment at the least. Given her hysteria at that point, maybe more.
She, on the other hand, had a measure of responsibility and there I know the pack will come down on me.
It's like the "but for" test... and proximate cause....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximate_cause
All the ways that night "MIGHT" have ended, but sadly didn't.
It's a terrible passing for a lovely young lady, but for....

I have been thinking about his decision to lock Warriena on the balcony. What made that a better option in his mind, considering he had already told her she was to leave, instead of directing her to the main door so she could leave the premises? Based on what is known so far and how he has presented himself, IMO it was to generate fear in her, to assert his power over her and to remind her that he was the one in control. If he was really feeling threatened, why would he choose a confined space that meant Warriena was still on the premises, over seeing her out the door for good? He was recording the events - IMO he wanted to show just how intimidation works, male vs female, for entertainment value.

Please don't ask me for evidence on this, I have CLEARLY stated that this is IMO, based on what evidence is already available ;)

I followed this a while ago. Came back to the thread(S) when I saw the trial had started.

So far in my "catch-up", I still have the same questions I had back at the start:

Why didn't he just put her out the front door instead of locking/putting her on the balcony when things went bad?

Why didn't he just call 000 immediately she fell rather than running away & calling dad? [Speculation: if he HAD done this to report an accident, the recording MIGHT never have come to light]. And/or - if he was too in shock/drunk to think clearly, why didn't he call dad from his apartment?

AND THE BIGGIE: Why the heck WAS he recording???

I followed this a while ago. Came back to the thread(S) when I saw the trial had started.

So far in my "catch-up", I still have the same questions I had back at the start:

Why didn't he just put her out the front door instead of locking/putting her on the balcony when things went bad?

Why didn't he just call 000 immediately she fell rather than running away & calling dad? [Speculation: if he HAD done this to report an accident, the recording MIGHT never have come to light]. And/or - if he was too in shock/drunk to think clearly, why didn't he call dad from his apartment?

AND THE BIGGIE: Why the heck WAS he recording???

Welcome back. Your questions are all VERY good. I confess to being utterly baffled by his actions. Does anyone have any insight at all?

It is day 2 of a possible 2 week trial.

This is my opinion only but I cant wait to see what other evidence is bought up during this case, and I do think there maybe quite a bit more MSM and others know nothing about.

Findings by forensics, perhaps toxicology/ item/s removed from the unit and disposed of after the balcony attempted escape/ fall, timelines, voice and breathing analysis, autopsy (signs of struggle/cyanosis) and other info we are not privy too.

Sad, terrible end to a life. Praying for justice and for Warriena's family.

I forgot to add huge thanks to those who are providing the trial updates from Twitter & MSM.

A criminologist has predicted Gable Tostee could be aquitted after a jury rejected a similar argument in a separate case this week

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...k/news-story/08aac62fe86489e088ef85bdf923a8c1

Thank you for that link.

Whatever my personal thoughts//speculation about what happened that night between Tostee & Warriena, I can see - given the trial reports so far - that he could/might well be acquitted of the murder charge.

The questions I already posted still stand.

I've got nothing nice to say

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If Tostee had seriously wanted to get rid of Warriena, all he had to do was open his front door and let her out.
As long as he had her locked out on the balcony, he knew she was his prisoner, the last parts of the recording are chilling, he is so calm, he knew exactly what he was doing.

I reckon he'll walk on murder. No evidence of intent, no immediate direct threat. The violence appeared two way prior. He'd locked her out and appeared to walk away. He wasn't banging the door down like Royal.

It's also not foreseeable. At all. In such a short period of time. She was over in less than 10 seconds.

On manslaughter, there's no causation because her own actions interrupted the chain. It's called a novus actus interveniens. He will walk also.

This differs from GBC in that Tostee actually has multiple very good legal defences at his disposal and a QC to put those arguments forward. The jury will be given some very detailed directions.

This will be a good case to see if the Courier Mail can actually demonise someone so far as to exclude a person relying on defences.

Whilst he may be an *******, doesn't mean he's guilty.

This is just a witch hunt. He's just atypical of the man feminists like to hate. I hope he writes a book after this. No one deserves to be subjected to such persecution.

To answer the great mystery, why would someone record it? Simple - to counter false rape allegations. It's easy if you're a woman to label it as 'weird' but try having your life ruined by someone's regret. Pretty wise move for an avid tinderer.

The question of "why" he was recording has come up a few times now. What I know for sure is, Tostee himself stated that he did this in part because he would drink to blackout point and be unable to recall events.

Whether that's all there was to it or not, that's what he has said.. and there's links to that somewhere back in thread 1 or 2 here, I am not retrieving it, but (along with a lot of other interesting stuff) it's there if anyone wants to see. And so is one recording of another episode in which he ran afoul of the law.

I don't know, in a legaly concrete manner but I do have cause to suspect, that this behaviour was to help him legally in case of a blackout, or whatever misbehaviour went awry, and also for amusement purposes. I believe there's some indication of this on the Warriena recording, when he appears to be making asides to a future 'audience'. This would belie a blackout situation, and support my suspicion that entertainment was a part of why.

It also makes me suspect the possibility that he was manipulating the situation to increase entertainment value. On the recording, there's a couple of places where, after he's poured the already very drunk deceased yet -more- homemade liquor, he riles her up and calms her again, and makes asides to the recording.

There is also a loud and easily identifiable sound of something metal being unscrewed and then dropped on the floor, in the moments after Warriena fell. It's a peculiar thing for anyone to do in that situation, take time to unscrew something before fleeing the scene (yes he did "flee"). I can't prove that was the telescope, but again I can and do suspect, based on that sound, that he was coolly manipulating the evidence that would be found.

Just as he begins very audibly manipulating the truth in the car, with his father present. Anyway, all of this doesn't prove murder, but it could be a part of why the police are seeking that charge. Ie, if he cold enough to do these things, then he very well could have planned to terrorise or even kill the deceased while making it seem it was all her fault and none of his..

As for whether he'll be acquitted, I think it's very possible if the prosecution can't prove 1/ intent to murder, or 2/ culpability, for manslaughter that the jury will have no choice but to acquit. Sadly, because I personally believe Tostee is a dangerous and manipulative individual.

I haven't seen anything yet that would prove murder. The fact that he (much larger, less intoxicated) chose to assault her (as he admitted doing in the car, audibly) rather than put her out the front door or call police on her, and deprived her of her liberty though she agreed to leave and then begged to "go home" (plus the "I would BUT you've been a naughty girl" comment, which could prove intent to keep her captive) -- all of that might prove a case for manslaughter, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff