CANADA Canada - Kerrie Brown, 15, Westwood, MB, 16 Oct 1986

dotr

Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2016/10/10/22673448.html
attachment.php

It's been 30 years since Kerrie Ann Brown was viciously murdered and left for dead in a wooded area of Thompson. For Trevor Brown, surviving with the singular goal of one day seeing someone arrested and locked away for the killing, it seems like much longer.
"Three decades, or as I like to tell people: 11,000 nights," Brown said in a recent interview as the 30th anniversary of the tragic night approaches.
Brown left a house party on Oct. 16, 1986 and was not seen again until her body was discovered two days later. She had been sexually assaulted and brutally beaten, less than two months after her 15th birthday.

A man was previously arrested in connection with the slaying but a judge, seeing only circumstantial evidence, never sent it to trial.

Kerrie Ann would have turned 45 on Aug. 19. She was "an amazing human being," Trevor said, "just a beautiful heart, super kind and caring."
Const. Janna Amirault, a 15-year veteran of the RCMP, has been on the Brown file for five years and said Kerrie Ann's murder is a haunting reminder of how quickly and tragically lives can change.
"She was an innocent girl that went to a house party," Amirault said, "and for a couple minutes decided to go by herself and, within that short period of time, something horrible happened to her. What happened to her could have happened to anybody, and that's what's scary about this investigation."
Amirault said seven investigators in her unit, plus support staff, continue to work on the case.

What haunts Amirault is looking at Kerrie Ann's story and seeing a happy-go-lucky teen who didn't lead a high-risk lifestyle and had plenty of supports around her.

"It really hits me that this could have happened to anybody," she said. "It could have been a friend of mine growing up. Heaven forbid something happened like this to one of my daughters or one of their friends, I would want somebody to be invested in solving what happened to them."

Attachments

• storage.canoe.com.jpg
    storage.canoe.com.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/opin...wn-ending-the-conspiracy-of-silence-1.1369613
[h=1]Kerrie Ann Brown: Ending the 'conspiracy of silence'[/h]October 24, 2012
Brown was slain sometime after attending a party at a residence on Trout Avenue in Westwood on Thursday night Oct. 16, 1986. Two days after the party, two women from the riding stable discovered her nude body in a wooded area close to the hydro line between the horse stable and the golf course access roads. Her body was found on Saturday, Oct. 18, 1986, around 2 p.m. Brown had been sexually assaulted and severely beaten, bludgeoned repeatedly about the face and head causing massive injuries. A large, bloodstained stick was found at the scene.

A vehicle got stuck in the mud there and a blue and red air mattress and a black rubber floor mat were used to try and gain traction and extricate the vehicle, RCMP said publicly in 1996. Two eyewitnesses had spotted a white van and an older model mid-60s green sedan-type car at the scene just hours after Brown, who had been wearing a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey jacket earlier in the evening, disappeared from the party. Crime scene DNA samples gathered in 1986 came from at least two different men RCMP told the Thompson Citizen in 1996, adding they have always believed more than person was involved in the killing.

http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/opinion/editorial/justice-for-kerrie-ann-brown-1.1366837
Most of those in attendance at the Trout Avenue party were from ages 14 to 17. The party was held on a Thursday night because there was no school the next day for Kerrie and the others at R.D. Parker Collegiate. She had previously attended Juniper and Eastwood elementary schools. Her mom and dad, Ann and Jim Brown, had moved to Thompson like many so Jim could work in the mine at Inco, while Ann worked at Thompson General Hospital as a medical transcriptionist. Ann Brown died some years ago. Kerrie's brother, Trevor, lives in Winnipeg, and is active in keeping up the fight for justice for his sister, as is her aunt, Tammy Fenner, and her husband, Kevin, from Maberly, in eastern Ontario, near Ottawa.
Kerrie was to walk home from the Trout Avenue residence that night with a girlfriend but before leaving the friend went back into the party for a few minutes. Kerrie stepped outside apparently to wait. When the friend returned, Kerrie was gone. Several witnesses reported Kerrie was seen getting into a van between 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Others believe she took a taxi to Brandon Crescent. Or she may have walked somewhere from the party.Anyone who has information on the murder of Kerrie Ann Brown has a moral duty to come forward. Justice demands no less

EVENT | RCMP TO RELIVE LAST DAY OF MURDERED GIRLS LIFE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
October 14, 2016

Snipped...
...Each message will be sent at the approximate times that the events actually occurred in 1986.

...The first message will be sent at 8:00am on Sunday morning with others following throughout the day.

You can access the messages on Twitter and Facebook.

Manitoba RCMP Twitter: @rcmpmb | @GRCManitoba

Manitoba RCMP Facebook: facebook.com/rcmpmb | facebook.com/GRCManitoba

If you can’t follow the feed live or don’t have social media News4 will have a recap of the feed Sunday evening.

http://news4winnipeg.com/event-rcmp-relive-last-day-murdered-girls-life-social-media/

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-november-23-2016-1.3862273/i-still-don-t-have-the-answers-the-lifelong-grief-of-open-cold-cases-1.3862415

Trevor Brown's sister Kerrie Ann Brown was murdered in 1986, in Thompson, Manitoba.

On the 30th anniversary of her death, the RCMP tried a new technique, Tweeting as if they were Kerrie Ann Brown herself, in the hope of shaking up new leads.

Trevor Brown says his sister's death completely altered the course of his life, changing him from an outgoing student to a high school drop out struggling with alcoholism and depression.

"I've never moved past this because I don't have the answers that I'm wanting," says Trevor Brown. "This could drive me insane, trying to figure out who did this. At the same time, I don't want to let go of it because she's worth it."

I’ve been listening to this podcast lately. It’s really interesting. “Someone Knows Something” by CBC Radio (photo of raven as cover). The vocal pace is very slow, but it has a lot of details and is worth a listen. I hope it solves her death soon.

Lengthy article.
Someone Knows Something podcast seeks the killer of Thompson’s Kerrie Ann Brown, murdered in 1986
Ian Graham / Thompson CitizenNovember 13, 2018
"Efforts to find out who killed 15-year-old Kerrie Ann Brown in Thompson have been going on for 32 years now but an investigation by the CBC podcast Someone Knows Something is bringing new evidence to light and, her family hopes, providing the best chance ever for Kerrie’s killer to be brought to justice.

Kerrie went missing Oct. 16, 1986, after attending a party with a friend. No one realized she was gone until the following afternoon. The day after that, her body was found by a hydro line near the horse stables north of Thompson."

"Through the first nine episodes of Someone Knows Something’s fifth season, Ridgen has been contacted by a woman in Thompson who remembers hearing her former boyfriend in Nelson House making reference to a white girl getting killed and by a former RCMP telecommunications operator who says she got a call from someone about a murder between the time when Kerrie was last seen and when her family realized she was missing the next day. That call may or may not have been followed up on, depending upon which RCMP officer you believe, and there have been other obstacles along the way, including the fact that there is no transcript of the 1987 preliminary hearing for a man charged with Kerrie’s murder – the charges were dismissed by the judge due to lack of evidence – and that the Brown family is unable to obtain a new copy of her autopsy report to replace the one they lost."

“I think the more people talk about it the better,” she says. “If the killer’s still out there, then it’s an opportunity to put some pressure on them to make them think about what they did and what had happened. Who knows? Maybe a killer will call up one day or come into a detachment one day and provide information regarding Kerrie’s homicide.”

I’ve been listening to this podcast lately. It’s really interesting. “Someone Knows Something” by CBC Radio (photo of raven as cover). The vocal pace is very slow, but it has a lot of details and is worth a listen. I hope it solves her death soon.

I just started listening to it as well! The interview with the friend that was with her that night is heartbreaking. As are the interviews with her father and brother.

I was hoping discussion would have started up regarding this case. I recently finished the podcast and I’m anxious to see this case solved. I’ll keep checking back to see if there is movement on this thread.

Kerrie Ann Brown: Ending the 'conspiracy of silence'
[h=1]Kerrie Ann Brown: Ending the 'conspiracy of silence'[/h]October 24, 2012

I am new to this (cold) case, but, after listening to a podcast today on CBC - Someone Knows Something - Raven, I am interested in learning about it.

The impact of her murder on her family and friends is profound.

I would think that the air mattress should have generated some tips. ???

If there IS DNA (samples were taken from male family members among others) from this crime - I think the RCMP should contact Parabon-Nanolabs to do a composite based on DNA evidence.

Their technology is phenomenal, and might help solve Kerrie's murder.

Parbon-Nanolabs - Parabon® Snapshot® DNA Analysis Service - Powered by Parabon NanoLabs

example of what they do with Suspects DNA - release a composite sketch of the unknown suspect utilizing DNA found at scene of crime:

BCSO-TX-16000440-Snapshot-actual.jpg

Lengthy article.
June 12 2021 by Dave Baxter
Northern Manitoba community of Thompson seeks answers to unsolved murders | Toronto Sun
T2-e1623526718998.jpg

Kerrie Ann Brown is seen spending time with her childhood friend Nicole Zahorodny, one of the last people to ever seen Brown alive.

''More than 700 kilometers north of Winnipeg sits a small community that many who have never been to may know only for its isolated location and subarctic winter temperatures.

But over the last few decades the city of Thompson has also become known for things far more sinister -– crime, violence, and murder cases that have never been solved.''

''Kerrie Ann Brown was just 15-years-old on the evening of Oct. 16, 1986 when she went to a house party in Thompson with her close friend Nicole Zahorodny.''
''When Brown became upset after seeing her ex-boyfriend talking to another girl, she decided it was time to leave the party.

Brown and Zahorodny decided they would leave together, but once they got outside Zahorodny realized she forgot her purse, and told Brown she was going to run back in and get it.

When she came back outside, Brown was gone and Zahorodny would never see her friend again.

Two days later, Brown’s bludgeoned body was found on the outskirts of Thompson.

An arrest came quickly, as a 22-year-old man was arrested and charged with first-degree murder less than a week after Brown’s death.

A judge stayed the charges in early 1987, however, citing a lack of evidence, and to this day the case has never been solved.''

''Anyone with information on any unsolved killing in Manitoba can call the RCMP Historical Crime Unit at 204-983-6880, or call Manitoba Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.''

ETA, Ws thread for other woman referenced in article..
CANADA - Canada- Lissa Chaboyer, 35, cab driver fatally stabbed,Thompson, Manitoba, 26 Nov. 2005

Last edited:
If there IS DNA (samples were taken from male family members among others) from this crime - I think the RCMP should contact Parabon-Nanolabs to do a composite based on DNA evidence.

Their technology is phenomenal, and might help solve Kerrie's murder.

Parbon-Nanolabs - Parabon® Snapshot® DNA Analysis Service - Powered by Parabon NanoLabs

example of what they do with Suspects DNA - release a composite sketch of the unknown suspect utilizing DNA found at scene of crime:

BCSO-TX-16000440-Snapshot-actual.jpg

I just finished the podcast and had the exact same thoughts. If there were 2 DNA samples and it sounds like a roster of suspects ranging from Caucasian Canadian hockey fans and Indigenous people - I would think that even without a match the DNA might point investigators in one direction or another.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back