NY - Carolyn Bush, 25, stabbed to death, Queens, 28 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Ridgewood, Queens:

NY Daily News:

Struggling artist charged for fatally stabbing roommate Carolyn Bush, 25, during argument in Queens apartment

NY Post:

Artist told cops he was wasted during fatal attack on roommate

The Queens artist charged with butchering his female roommate told cops he “smoked weed” and “drank a lot of beer” before plunging a kitchen knife into her neck, back and arm as she chatted on the phone, prosecutors said Friday.
---
“I was upset,” illustrator Render Stetson-Shanahan, 26, said, according to Assistant District Attorney Crystal Igneri at the suspect’s arraignment. “I drank a lot of beer, smoked weed at my brother’s house … She was on the phone and I said, ‘Guess what?’ then I stabbed her.”
---

‘It was like I was someone else’: accused roommate killer

---
“Even if I had the option to get out of here, I wouldn’t want to go,” the 26-year-old Queens artist and accused killer told The Post in an hour-long jailhouse interview on Rikers Island.

“There’s something very wrong. I need to be in a psychiatric hospital,” he said in a strained voice, looking pale and exhausted.
---

DNAinfo.com:

'I'm not Gonna Have a Lease Anymore,' Man Says After Stabbing Roommate Dead

---
Pat Castellar, 52, the building's property manager, said Carolyn Bush worked at a local coffee shop and also as a librarian. He said he'd known the pair for about three years and never once heard them fight.

"She was extremely beautiful, very, very pretty," he said. "But he was a great gentleman as well.

"I have 60 apartments, and they were my best tenants, always paid the rent on time, no complaints," he added. "I'm in shock."
---

much more at the links

Insanity plea?

What a tragic loss of both young people. It doesn't sound as if he was in his right mind at the moment he killed her. One article said that he had untreated depression and may have been self-medicating with beer and weed. He also claims he had suppressed anger issues. Often, serious mental illness such as schizophrenia shows up in the mid-twenties. It's hard to know what happened. I imagine an attorney would encourage an insanity defense, but I expect that he will accept a plea and take whatever punishment he is given. He sounds remorseful, but very ill. JMO

Would an insanity plea be acceptable at trial if a case could be made, i.e., should he be allowed hospitalization over prison for her murder?

I think that would be something atty's and prosecutors would have to discuss,depending on state R/R's. That would mean intensive therapy, as well as proper meds.

Has anyone found examples of her poetry online?

Two arty types from Bard; in one way this is typical (man kills woman) but in other ways....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back