WA WA - Spokane, WhtMale 40-60, UP492, writing in wallet, clothing, cigs, glasses, Oct'92

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1284umwa.html

Doe Network: Case File 1284UMWA
Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on October 25, 1992 in Spokane, Spokane County, Washington

Estimated date of Death: 1-3 Days prior

Vital Statistics Estimated age: 40-60 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 7 1/4"; 140 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Black and Gray hair; Brown eyes. Full beard and mustache. The beard measured up to 2 inches in length and is whitish in appearance. The mustache measured 1 1/4 inches in length. A small mole was noted on the left side of his nose; there was a scar located on the lower right area of the abdomen; the left hand second finger had an old amputation at the joint. There was a 2 inch scar noted on the top of the left forearm. This man may have had a medical history of Lung Cancer.Clothing: He was wearing a dark green pair of sweat pants, gray corduroy pants, a belt, a blue, long sleeved, zip up jacket. A maroon pull over sleeveless sweater, a T-shirt with an inscription on the front that read: MIKE'S BURGER ROYAL. This shirt also had a yellow crown with a red design. Also worn were a pair of gray socks with orange trim, a pair of dark green socks, and a knit cap with the insignia DAILY RECORD on the back of the cap. There was a blue, cloth billfold and a pair of black, framed, bifocal glasses present. There was a near empty "Rollrich" red and white tobacco satchel containing a minimal amount of tobacco. A folded yellow tobacco "TOP" brand packet that is empty. The wallet contained multiple paper cards. An inscription inside the wallet reads Ellen Lak.
Fingerprints: Available
Dentals: Available. Possible dental done by local Forensic Odontologist. Partial lack of upper dentition, particularly the incisors, and the lower dentition is absent.

Case History The victim was located October 25, 1992 at East 500 Trent, in an area that was known as a transient camp in Spokane, Washington. This man was found lying on the ground by two men passing through who were transient. One of the men tried to wake this man and realized that he was not breathing and contacted a local store owner to call police. This man's cause of death was determined as Acute Pneumonia secondary to Bronchogenic Carcinoma, manner natural. This man was obviously living as a transient and had all of his belongings nearby. He had food stamps in his wallet which may have indicated that he was receiving some form of state benefit at the time. Fingerprints obtained but no match found.

Investigators If you have any information about this case please contact: Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office 509-477-2296

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 92-328
Source Information: Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office

NamUs https://identifyus.org/en/cases/492

Ten pounds lighter and an inch shorter than the UD. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12166/0

The missing finger is on the right instead of the left hand, there is no mention of the gunshot wound or appendectomy scar, but I think his eyebrows and nose resemble the PM. I have no idea why he'd have gone from FLA to WA, or what he was doing the 12 years he was away, either.

Mikes Burger Royal was a drive in burger spot located at 6115 E Trent Ave Spokane Valley. Opened in 1954, seems to have closed in 2022 or 2023. Logo looks like this:

1695669249247.png

Daily record is a newspaper operated out of Ellensburg, WA. The town is located between Seattle and Spokane and is home to Central Washington University.

Can't find anything related to the Rollrich pouch, but the "TOP" tobacco packet refers to this brand
1695669703658.png

As for Ellen Lac, Lac is French for Lake. There's a couple of Lake Ellen's around, but the closest one in Washington is located in Colville National Forest, which is north of Spokane.

Not sure why Lac is written like that, but maybe this guy was French Canadian?

. . .

As for Ellen Lac, Lac is French for Lake. There's a couple of Lake Ellen's around, but the closest one in Washington is located in Colville National Forest, which is north of Spokane.

Not sure why Lac is written like that, but maybe this guy was French Canadian?
I believe it's Ellen Lak, with a K. I would love to see this inscription--is it a former owner's inscription? There are a few Ellen Laks on Ancestry, although I haven't found any with obvious links to WA. There was an Ellen Lack in the Spokane area, but as she doesn't appear outside of the 1950 census, I wonder if there was a misspelling involved or if she later moved--I suspect she is actually Ellen Lake, also in the area and around the same age.

It's interesting that they have prints on him. I wonder if they'd have any success rerunning them now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back