GUILTY CA - Deputy Jack Hopkins, 31, fatally shot, Alturas, 19 Oct 2016 *Arrest*

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Jack Lee Breiner, 47, from Alturas, was identified as the alleged shooter. Officials added Breiner was shot during the shootout and was treated at the scene before being transported to Redding to receive further medical treatment.

Through checks of his criminal records, we were able to find that Breiner is also a registered sex offender.

Read more at ... http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/mo...c-sheriffs-officer-death-identified/128247501

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...1b828e-9681-11e6-9cae-2a3574e296a6_story.html

DeputyKilled-fd4d2.jpg

Modoc County Sheriff's Deputy Jack Hopkins

Alturas man accused of killing deputy back in court
A 47-year-old registered sex offender charged with murder in the Oct. 19 shooting death of a Modoc County sheriff's deputy was back in Modoc County Superior Court on Wednesday as his case slowly moves ahead.

A spokeswoman for the Modoc County District Attorney's Office said Jack Lee Breiner had his criminal case continued to April 10 to set his preliminary hearing date.

Update on this case per the Modoc County Record date Feb 8, 2018.

http://www.modocrecord.com/news.html#Defense

The murder trial of Jack Lee Breiner, which was scheduled to begin March 5, 2018, was vacated on January 25 at a hearing in Susanville.
According to Modoc District Attorney Jordan Funk, the defense attorneys have declared a doubt that Mr. Breiner is competent to stand trial.

The rest of the article is behind a paywall so I'm unable to link, but here are two attempts at screenshots, plus the text if that is ok (disclosure - I did fix a typo in the headline. Sigh, small town newspapers...):

Defense asks for competency ruling in Breiner case hearing

The murder trial of Jack Lee Breiner,which was scheduled to begin March 5,2018, was vacated on January 25 at a hearing in Susanville.
According to Modoc District Attorney Jordan Funk, the defense attorneys have declared a doubt that Mr. Breiner is competent to stand trial.
“Accordingly, as required by law, the court has appointed two mental health experts to examine the defendant and render an expert opinion regarding his trial competence,” Funk said Tuesday.“Our next court date is April 11th, by which time, we hope to have the opinions of the psychologists. Until we know what their opinions are it is impossible to say what the next step in the process will be.”
Funk said it is possible that before having the criminal jury trial there will be a civil trial to determine whether the defendant is competent to stand trial, in accordance with California law.
“But, at this point this too is unknown,”Funk said. “In any event our criminal case trial will be delayed several months.”
Breiner is accused of murdering Modoc Sheriff’s Deputy Jack Hopkins, age 31, in the line of duty October 19, 2016. Hopkins was responding to a call on a rural parcel located approximately eight miles south of Alturas. The area has a ranch near the intersection of County Road 117, old Highway 395, and U.S. 395 east of Jones Lane.
Hopkins was dispatched to the family disturbance and had entered the property to investigate the call when he confronted Breiner. According to a preliminary investigation, Deputy Hopkins was shot by the suspect and sustained fatal wounds. It was determined by responding units that Hopkins was killed instantly in the encounter with the suspect.
According to the Sheriff’s Office, Breiner fled the scene in his vehicle and was intercepted on a nearby road by Sheriff Mike Poindexter, who was also responding to the call. Poindexter was fired upon by Breiner and an exchange of gun fire ensued. Poindexter was able to wound the suspect, who was later taken into custody.
During the exchange of gun fire, Poindexter sustained minor wounds.
Breiner is being held at High Desert State Prison.

Attachments

• Breiner.png
    Breiner.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Breiner.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Breiner.jpg
    Breiner.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
Update: Breiner competent to stand trial; scheduled for this summer.

http://www.modocrecord.com/news.html#Breiner

Breiner trial date set for June 15​
Following a hearing in Susanville Monday where Judge Candace Beason found alleged murderer Jack Breiner competent to stand trial, a trial date was set for June 30.
The trial will be set in Modoc Superior Court. Breiner has been in custody at High Desert State Prison as a safety precaution
District Attorney Jordan Funk said a Change of Venue motion is scheduled for June 15 in Susanville.

As before, the full article is behind a paywall. Nothing really substantive in it so I didn't screenshot it.

Update: change of venue granted, expect to know location in the next 30 days. Trial set for 10/29.

(how they can set a trial date without knowing whose courtroom they will be in is beyond me. Maybe trial date can continue to be changed so easily that they don't worry about it?)

Modoc County Record News

An update from the October 11, 2018 Modoc Record. Breiner had applied for the mental-health pre-trial diversion program recently established in California, and was denied. A selection of the article:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 8.06.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 8.06.39 PM.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 7
Replying to my own previous post -- I had occasion to talk with Modoc County's Assistant District Attorney, so I asked her why no media coverage of this death penalty trial?

She said it was at the request of the judge, because apparently there had been some coverage before the trial that was more than what the judge was comfortable with. (paraphrasing, not a quote)

The ADA said (this was last Friday, so 2 days ago) that the jury selection has been completed. I presume arguments are planned to start on Tuesday.

She said that press is still permitted in the courtroom and that the gag order probably only applies to Sacramento area media (that the jury might inadvertently come across) so I will keep watching media from other areas, such as Yreka (where Deputy Hopkins was from and where his parents still live) to see if any news comes from there.

Replying to my own previous post -- I had occasion to talk with Modoc County's Assistant District Attorney, so I asked her why no media coverage of this death penalty trial?

She said it was at the request of the judge, because apparently there had been some coverage before the trial that was more than what the judge was comfortable with. (paraphrasing, not a quote)

The ADA said (this was last Friday, so 2 days ago) that the jury selection has been completed. I presume arguments are planned to start on Tuesday.

She said that press is still permitted in the courtroom and that the gag order probably only applies to Sacramento area media (that the jury might inadvertently come across) so I will keep watching media from other areas, such as Yreka (where Deputy Hopkins was from and where his parents still live) to see if any news comes from there.
Thank you for keeping us posted, Auntie!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back