Mexico Mexico - Shawn Ramta, 34, Canadian, Mexico City, 31 Aug 2016

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/brampton-man-missing-mexico-1.3821234
A Brampton family is appealing for help to find a loved one who has been missing for seven weeks in Mexico, after spending tens of thousands of dollars to no avail. Shawn Ramta disappeared while on a two-week vacation in Mexico City. His family says Ramta is a seasoned traveller who has often travelled on his own.

Raj Ramta, grandmother of the 34-year-old bodybuilder and entrepreneur, told CBC News her grandson told her he was going to the gym and would call back.
"That was the last time I heard from him," she said.

attachment.php

"I just request everybody please help us get our Shawn back," she said.
"I would sell my house to get him back," she added. "I don't care about money. I just want Shawn back."

Attachments

• shawn-ramta.jpg
    shawn-ramta.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 313
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...g-reward-brampton-man-missing-in-mexico-.html
Ramta, a 34-year-old entrepreneur and bodybuilder, went to Mexico alone on vacation in August and was renting a condo through Airbnb in Polanco, a safe, upscale neighbourhood popular with business travellers. He last spoke with family on Aug. 31, when he told them he was going to a gym.

Ramta, who does not speak Spanish, did not board his Sept. 3 return flight back to Toronto, and calls to his cellphone went unanswered.

“It is very stressful because we cannot get any information about what happened to him,” said Sunny Ramta, Shawn’s younger brother. “He would have stood out in Mexico. He’s a tall, buff Indian guy.”
Ramta, who according to family was in the process of moving to Vancouver, is a partner at Empire Customs, a Toronto menswear company, and the director of a small trucking firm.

Ramta’s uncle said he did not believe his nephew was involved in any illegal activity or has ties to organized crime. Ramta has no criminal record and does not smoke or take drugs, he said.

At least 28,000 people have disappeared in Mexico in the last nine years.

Thanks for starting the thread dotr...

Where is Shawn??!?!

:candle:

(I honestly don't know what I would do, if a loved one was missing in Mexico...)

:gasp:

Snipped from above...
...Peel Police told CBC News their authority stops at the Canadian border and said they need Mexican police to dig up Ramta's phone records and find his last known location. They said their requests have not been answered by Mexican authorities.

Frustrated with the slow progress, the Ramta family hired their own private investigator and a lawyer. They spent money on billboard space in Mexico to post missing persons posters of Shawn. Not including the reward money, which they recently doubled to $50,000, their efforts put the family about $30,000 out of pocket. They have received no tips so far.

This Polanco kidnapping was in the news recently, but a ransom was demanded the next day, fwiw...

snipped...
...Villar Galaz, 39, was abducted on the night of Sept. 13 after leaving the offices of IBM Mexico, where she worked as a consultant, and getting into a taxi for a ride to her home in Mexico City’s Polanco district.

The kidnappers contacted her family the next day to demand a ransom and the captive’s loved ones handed over $3,275 within hours.

Even so, a woman later identified as Villar Galaz was found dead Sept. 15 in Santiago Tianguistenco, a city in the central state of Mexico.

Salas said the gang under investigation for the crime comprises “more than two people,” operates in greater Mexico City and treats victims “with unusual violence.”

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=2422349

so sad... not knowing where your child is, I can't even imagine. I don't have kids, but if I don't know where my dogs are, I panic. My mom and I are so close, so these stories, where we hear from family... ugh, just heartbreaking... What could have happened? Where could he be? It sounds like he has no reason to avoid his family.

rbbm.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/10/26/mexico-is-offering-few-leads-for-the-family-of-missing-brampton-man-shawn-ramta.html

attachment.php

Sareeta Bassuta, 31, spent two-and-a-half weeks earlier this month traipsing from the Special Unit for the Search for Missing People, to the morgue, to the hospital, to the police, looking for clues to her brother’s fate.

“There were lineups of other Mexican families crying their hearts out, saying ‘where is my daughter,’ ‘where is my son?’ ” she said. “I cried and begged the police for help. But they weren’t sympathetic. I guess it is normal for them because there are so many missing people in Mexico.”
Ramta, a 34-year-old entrepreneur from Brampton, travelled to Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic in late July, and then on to Mexico City, alone, on Aug. 10. He went as a tourist and to make business contacts, said Gord Ramta, his uncle. Ramta’s wife, who lives in Vancouver, did not accompany him on the trip as she could not get time off work, Bassuta said.
“At first I thought it was kidnapping for ransom but nobody ever called me,” Bassuta said. So Bassuta and her uncle flew to Mexico City on Oct. 5, to try to find her brother.
She went to hospitals and morgues, and gave police her DNA. She also shared identifying details about Ramta, including that he had worn braces, had his wisdom teeth pulled, and has two tattoos: a tribal band on his upper left arm and his wife’s initials, SJ, on his left ring finger.
“I looked at bodies in morgues, and even at body parts, a finger, a foot. It was traumatizing,” Bassuta said. Ramta is an experienced traveller and a body builder who doesn’t smoke or take drugs, she said.
In the Mexican Capital, Bassuta said she visited the condo Ramta rented through Airbnb. A Chinese tourist answered the door, and called the landlord who gave Bassuta a Nike duffel bag filled with her brother’s T-shirts and boxer shorts. The bag did not contain his passport, wallet, any money, or a cellphone, she said.

“Nobody had seen him except the servers in a karaoke bar, La Chismosa. They said he’d been in there on his own, and was in good spirits,” Bassuta said.

The country does not have a central DNA registry, and states do not share information about missing people or unidentified bodies with other jurisdictions. That makes searching for a loved one very challenging.

Attachments

• new-pic.jpg
    new-pic.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 259
"He went as a tourist and to make business contacts"

The 'business contacts' is the part that gives me pause, if not careful a solo businesssman could be seen as an easy target by someone dangerous.

Hmmm. Odd. Married almost a year yet he is on a month long-ish vacation in the DR and then Mexico alone. Wife doesn't know what luggage and belongings he took because he left from the town his family is in instead of where he lived with wife. Wife went to pick him up at airport though. And hadn't spoken to him in a few days.

What a nightmare for his family. I can't even imagine what this must be like.

I wonder if he had a "friend" he was visiting or maybe someone he met at the place he was staying. It sounds like he met someone and that someone is possibly responsible for him being missing.
How did he fund these trips? Everything sounds fishy.
I hope he is found. It's been over 2 months. That can not be good.

...and his wife couldnt get any time off work to go look for him? Thats a bit odd.

I am a freelance Canadian journalist in Mexico (for now) and was the person who first spoke with the family and notified the Toronto Star. If anything new develops I will post it at my blog (Lapoliticaeslapolitica.com).

:welcome4:

What a strange case this is and a strange situation he was in. He looks like a big strong guy to have been taken.

I am a freelance Canadian journalist in Mexico (for now) and was the person who first spoke with the family and notified the Toronto Star. If anything new develops I will post it at my blog (Lapoliticaeslapolitica.com).

:welcome:

Thanks for joining us!

[video]https://youtu.be/dssvd9ZZBMY[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/Mtv64U-BHkI[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members