GUILTY India - DOJ Charges 61 in Call Center Scam

i.b.nora

I am polka dot
Reaction score
NEWS OCT 27 2016, 4:10 PM ET
Justice Department Charges 61 In India-Based Call Center Scam
NBC News
By Safia Samee Ali

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arges-61-india-based-call-center-scam-n674086

The Department of Justice charged 61 people for their role in a call center scam in which callers impersonated officials from the Internal Revenue Service and other federal agencies to extract money for fictional government debts.

The Department of Justice charged 61 people for their role in a call center scam in which callers impersonated officials from the Internal Revenue Service and other federal agencies to extract money for fictional government debts.

The far-reaching scam involved "a network of call centers" located in India, Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell, said at a press conference Thursday. The swindlers, pretending to be government agents, mostly targeted the elderly and immigrants demanding money to pay off debts that did not exist.

The scam went on for four years ensnaring 15,000 victims and resulted in the theft of an estimated $50 million.

So far 56 people, 20 of whom have already been arrested, and five call centers have been charged with international fraud and money laundering conspiracy, Caldwell said. The U.S plans to seek extradition from India, a country that has traditionally cooperated with extradition procedures.​

More ...

NEWS OCT 27 2016, 4:10 PM ET
Justice Department Charges 61 In India-Based Call Center Scam
NBC News
By Safia Samee Ali

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arges-61-india-based-call-center-scam-n674086

The far-reaching scam involved "a network of call centers" located in India, Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell, said at a press conference Thursday. The swindlers, pretending to be government agents, mostly targeted the elderly and immigrants demanding money to pay off debts that did not exist.

The scam went on for four years ensnaring 15,000 victims and resulted in the theft of an estimated $50 million.

So far 56 people, 20 of whom have already been arrested, and five call centers have been charged with international fraud and money laundering conspiracy, Caldwell said. The U.S plans to seek extradition from India, a country that has traditionally cooperated with extradition procedures.​

More ...

Thank goodness. We were up to one or sometimes two an hour from 7 am into the evening, from such call centers, a couple of weeks ago. Would that qualify as inundated?

We received these calls a number of times during the past couple of years. We usually hung up without saying anything. Sad that folks were taken in by the scam. I'm glad there have been arrests and that this nonsense will end.

We received these calls a number of times during the past couple of years. We usually hung up without saying anything. Sad that folks were taken in by the scam. I'm glad there have been arrests and that this nonsense will end.

We actually suspended service for a few days. I figured their bots would tell them the number is offline and move on. Only one or two since we restored service.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back