MI MI - Shiawassee Co., WhtFem, 17-18, possibly named Shelly or Michelle, 1988

Richard

Reaction score
Shelly or Michelle......(Last Name not known)
Classification: Missing (alegedly murdered) Shiawassee County, Michigan 1988

Vital Statistics
Description: White Female
Birthdate: About 1970 or 71 (* note correction)
Height: About 5 foot 6 inches
Weight: About 140 Pounds
Hair: Sandy Brown, shoulder length
Eyes: Wore glasses.

The Shiawassee County (Michigan) Sheriff's Department and the FBI searched property on Middleton Road near Hickory St. on Thursday June 10, 2004 for the body of a woman killed in 1988.

According to a statement released by the sheriff's department, investigators got the information from a convicted murderer but had not found the body as of Thursday.Investigators said they are not releasing the name of the suspect in this case, even though he already has been convicted in one homicide, in order to protect his family from embarrassment and keep his cooperation.

They are looking for a white woman about 17 or 18 years old who was 5-foot-6-inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. Sheriff Jon Wilson said her name may have been Shelly or Michelle. She had shoulder-length sandy brown hair and wore large pink frame glasses, according to the statement from the inmate.

She was described as having frequented the TapRoom Bar (old Owosso Hotel) in Owosso and spent time at Henderson Park. She may have been employed for a time by a business in the "Dutchtown" area of Owosso, in the neighborhood of Chipman and Stewart streets. The victim was said to have spent time with people who drove muscle cars or "high rise" four-wheel drive pickups.

Anyone who has information about this case is asked to call Detective Sgt. David Kirk at (989) 743-2202, ext. 2224.

Richard said:

Investigators said they are not releasing the name of the suspect in this case, even though he already has been convicted in one homicide, in order to protect his family from embarrassment and keep his cooperation.
? He's only a convicted murderer, wouldn't want to offend him...Also wouldn't want anyone who knew him and this girl to come forward...

Richard said:

Vital Statistics
Birthdate: About 1960 or 61
These dates don't make sense. If she was born in 1960, she would have been 27 or 28 when she was murdered.

Hoppy

Can't find any missing person of this description on either the doe network or on NCMEC. Any other databases someone could suggest checking?

Hoppy

Maybe the state databases...From MI and surrounding states working outward. Unfortunately, Canada doesn't seem to have any really good databases of missing persons. News archives might also reveal some possible matches.

That date discrepancy is huge...Maybe a misprint?

Richard said:

Vital Statistics
Birthdate: About 1960 or 61
Height: About 5 foot 6 inches
Weight: About 140 Pounds
Hair: Sandy Brown, shoulder length
Eyes: Wore glasses.

The Shiawassee County (Michigan) Sheriff's Department and the FBI searched property on Middleton Road near Hickory St. on Thursday June 10, 2004 for the body of a woman killed in 1988.

According to a statement released by the sheriff's department, investigators got the information from a convicted murderer but had not found the body as of Thursday.Investigators said they are not releasing the name of the suspect in this case, even though he already has been convicted in one homicide, in order to protect his family from embarrassment and keep his cooperation.

They are looking for a white woman about 17 or 18 years old who was 5-foot-6-inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. Sheriff Jon Wilson said her name may have been Shelly or Michelle. She had shoulder-length sandy brown hair and wore large pink frame glasses, according to the statement from the inmate.

She was described as having frequented the TapRoom Bar (old Owosso Hotel) in Owosso and spent time at Henderson Park. She may have been employed for a time by a business in the "Dutchtown" area of Owosso, in the neighborhood of Chipman and Stewart streets. The victim was said to have spent time with people who drove muscle cars or "high rise" four-wheel drive pickups.

Anyone who has information about this case is asked to call Detective Sgt. David Kirk at (989) 743-2202, ext. 2224.
Where did you get this information from? Knowing your source will help us find even more information.

Hoppy

If she was only 17 or 18, how could she frequent a bar? Legal drinking age in Michigan is 21. Somethings either not right with the dates or her age is wrong. Legal drinking age was lowered in 1973 to 18, but went back to 21 in 1976. I was 18 when it was lowered.

hoppyfrog said:
These dates don't make sense. If she was born in 1960, she would have been 27 or 28 when she was murdered.

Hoppy
You are absolutely correct. I made the mistake when transcribing the information. It should read "About 1970 or 71", and I emphasize "About" because it is only an estimate based to the convicts guess of her age being beteen 17 and 18 at the time (1988). Please note that I have made a correction to my origional post.

The basic information in my post came from a website about unsolved crimes in Shiawassee County, Michigan. I copied it about a year ago to one of my files, and inadvertantly left out the link to the actual site. I found it when searching for information about another unsolved murder (which occurred in 1970). Finding nothing on the case I was researching, I contacted the website owner and asked if he knew anything about it. He had never heard of it, and I was unable to learn anything more about it.

This case, however, caught my attention and I attempted to match it with missing person cases in the Doenetwork and NCMEC. I found one that seemed to fit in some ways, but it had a major age and date conflict. Here is a link to that case file. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------

Aundria Michelle Bowman
Missing since March 11, 1989 from Holland, Ottawa County, Michigan.
Classification: Endangered Missing Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 23, 1974
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5; 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. She may have bleached her hair blonde.
Marks, Scars: She has peirced ears.
AKA: Alex; Alexis
Dentals: Partial dental records available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Bowman ran away from a youth home on March 11, 1989. She has never been seen or heard from again. Bowman is adopted.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Bowman's whereabouts, please contact:
Allegan County Sheriff's Department
Missing Persons Unit
616-673-5441

NCIC Number: M-414252008
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Doe Network: Case File 184DFMI

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/184dfmi.html

Richard said:
You are absolutely correct. I made the mistake when transcribing the information. It should read "About 1970 or 71", and I emphasize "About" because it is only an estimate based to the convicts guess of her age being beteen 17 and 18 at the time (1988). Please note that I have made a correction to my origional post.

The basic information in my post came from a website about unsolved crimes in Shiawassee County, Michigan. I copied it about a year ago to one of my files, and inadvertantly left out the link to the actual site. I found it when searching for information about another unsolved murder (which occurred in 1970). Finding nothing on the case I was researching, I contacted the website owner and asked if he knew anything about it. He had never heard of it, and I was unable to learn anything more about it.

This case, however, caught my attention and I attempted to match it with missing person cases in the Doenetwork and NCMEC. I found one that seemed to fit in some ways, but it had a major age and date conflict. Here is a link to that case file. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------

Aundria Michelle Bowman
Missing since March 11, 1989 from Holland, Ottawa County, Michigan.
Classification: Endangered Missing Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 23, 1974
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5; 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. She may have bleached her hair blonde.
Marks, Scars: She has peirced ears.
AKA: Alex; Alexis
Dentals: Partial dental records available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Bowman ran away from a youth home on March 11, 1989. She has never been seen or heard from again. Bowman is adopted.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Bowman's whereabouts, please contact:
Allegan County Sheriff's Department
Missing Persons Unit
616-673-5441

NCIC Number: M-414252008
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Doe Network: Case File 184DFMI

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/184dfmi.html
I tend to doubt it's a match. The weight, dates and ages, nicknames, and glasses don't seem to match. I realize some discrepancies are normal, but these seem to be too many. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Hoppy

SadieMae said:
If she was only 17 or 18, how could she frequent a bar? Legal drinking age in Michigan is 21. Somethings either not right with the dates or her age is wrong. Legal drinking age was lowered in 1973 to 18, but went back to 21 in 1976. I was 18 when it was lowered.

A lot depends on the establishment. I didn't frequent bars, but was buying hard liquor at the age of 19 yrs. (law said 21). It requires the vigilance of the bar employees to card customers. Some do and some don't. Esp. if they have an "introduction" by a regular customer.

I'm originally from Owosso, but had moved away by the time of this case. Interesting. Didn't realize Owosso had a Dutchtown section, and I don't remember a Henderson Park. I do remember though a high school friend who frequented the bars downtown, and managed to get alcohol while still in high school. My Dad got her thrown out of one bar because he knew she was a minor.

hoppyfrog said:
I tend to doubt it's a match. The weight, dates and ages, nicknames, and glasses don't seem to match. I realize some discrepancies are normal, but these seem to be too many. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Hoppy
I agree that there are numerous discrepancies, but remember that the source of the information in my first post was a convict in prison who was recalling everything from memory some 15 plus years later. It might be easy for him to be a year or two off in relating the case. Also, he may not have known the girl's exact age, height, or weight. And, if the girl was a run-away, she might not have been using her previous nicknames. Michelle was Aundria Bowman's middle name. I have not seen or heard of any updates to this story.

bumping case up. Has anyone heard any updates on this investigation?

The Tap Room was a bar, they had the bar section and on the other side of the building they had another section with a seperate door for minors to hang out, there was no alcohol aloud in this part. I hung out at this place during the time in 1988. Dutch Town is the west side of Owosso. I remember people also hanging out at Henderson Park, this is just north of Owosso, it's a very small town with only one small store. If this girl did exist she may have went to Owosso High School. I will look in the year books. I do not remember a girl being reported missing from Owosso at that time. Owosso is a small town also, however today there's at least 13-15 thousand persons. I remember going to the area when they were digging on North Hickory st. and asking questions. I had thought it might have been my missing Mom, Diana Harris. She was from owosso, but moved to the Florida Keys before disappearing in 1981, so I knew it was not likely to be her. I will ask around and see what I can find out.

Christine

It may be helpful to know the guys name. If he was from Owosso, I very well may know of him. Does anyone know how old this guy was? I know a few names of men convicted in homicide cases. One of them killed another man here in Owosso at Rosevere Park in the 70's, he ran him over with his vehicle several times. He is a free man now. Another man murdered a girl here in the 70's, they never convicted him until about 3 or 4 years ago. I know there have been more in Shiawassee County, but I cannot recall what others in Owosso.

It may be helpful to know the guys name. If he was from Owosso, I very well may know of him. Does anyone know how old this guy was? ....

The Shiawassee County (Michigan) Sheriff's Department has the file on this case and they would have the guy's name and information. What you see in my posts is all that I have on the case.

I do not know when he was convicted of murder, but it is possible that he had offered LE the information about this girl in hopes of getting a better deal on a sentence. So he may have been prison for a while, or he might have just been convicted of a recent or older murder.

Contact them and ask to speak with their cold case detectives - both about this case and about your mother's. It is possible that you might be able to help.

If you can get his name from the police, you can look him up in the Michigan Inmate Directory on line and see more about his convictions and sentences.

Bumping this case up.

This is all I could find on the internt, and it is dated 2 June 2005:

---------------------------------
Shelly or Michelle...

The Shiawassee County Sheriff's Department and the FBI searched property on Middleton Road near Hickory St. for the body of a woman. According to a statement released by the sheriff's department, investigators got the information from a convicted murderer but had not found the body.

Investigators said they are not releasing the name of the suspect in this case, even though he already has been convicted in one homicide, in order to protect his family from embarrassment and keep his cooperation.

She was described as having frequented the Tap Room Bar (old Owosso Hotel) in Owosso and spent time at Henderson Park. She may have been employed for a time by a business in the "Dutchtown" area of Owosso, in the neighborhood of Chipman and Stewart streets. The victim was said to have spent time with people who drove muscle cars or "high rise" four-wheel drive pickups.

LINK:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....groups&usg=AFQjCNHcqjz2PfpU55eiUl239Re_zaKhuQ

I wonder what else we can find out about this. I'm curious what kind of muscle cars. I may be able to help with that when we find out which type.

The Tap Room was a bar, they had the bar section and on the other side of the building they had another section with a seperate door for minors to hang out, there was no alcohol aloud in this part. I hung out at this place during the time in 1988. Dutch Town is the west side of Owosso. I remember people also hanging out at Henderson Park, this is just north of Owosso, it's a very small town with only one small store. If this girl did exist she may have went to Owosso High School. I will look in the year books. I do not remember a girl being reported missing from Owosso at that time. Owosso is a small town also, however today there's at least 13-15 thousand persons. I remember going to the area when they were digging on North Hickory st. and asking questions. I had thought it might have been my missing Mom, Diana Harris. She was from owosso, but moved to the Florida Keys before disappearing in 1981, so I knew it was not likely to be her. I will ask around and see what I can find out.

Christine

Christine; are you still with us?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie