Trial - Ross Harris #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please continue here

Was he crying?
He was crying enough that he needed a tissue

Seems like a yes or no question to me. If I were the defense, I wouldn't want her to answer questions like that. It's very non committal.

Copying some stuff over from thread 5

Defense attorney Maddox Kilgore: What was going on (at police HQ)?

Taylor: While I was sitting there in the chair, there were several people who walk by me. I said this before. I didn't feel real to me. I didn't feel like it was happening. I felt like I was in a dream. I kept going back and forth, praying, Please God, don't let this be true. This can't be happening. ... I knew at some point I was going to see Ross. I knew he was going to need me to be strong for him.

She then says she knew Ross hadn't intended for this to happen, and prosecutor Boring strongly objects.

Kilgore: did you know where youj son was at the time?

No.

Did you try to find out?

Yes.

Who were youy tryhing to find out from?

The first person I asked said he didn't have an answer for me and said you have to speak to the detective.

Kilgore: While you were sitting in the waiting area -- the office you described -- were you able to get any information on where your son was?

Not then, no.

She says she doesn't know how long she sat there. The detectives would come by and tell her it would be a few minutes. Then they took her to a room and left her there. She says she doesn't know whether the door was locked because she never tried to open it.

Kilgore asks whether she has seen the interview she then had with Det. Stoddard.

I have seen it. I've reviewed the transcript. Parts of it I remember. A lot of is very hazy. ... They did go through my purse, searched my wallet.

Do you have any recollection of whether they read you your Miranda rights?

No, they did not.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 2m2 minutes ago
#RossHarris - Leanna said she felt a strong need to be with Ross. She asked detectives if she could see him. #hotcardeath

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 2m2 minutes ago
Leanna said she was being strong for #Rossharris #hotcardeath

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 36s36 seconds ago
Leanna is trying to explain her behavior as a range of things just flooding her at once #rossharris #hotcardeath

"Did you say too much?" explained.

As in, what in the world did you say that you're now in this situation?!

It really, really bothers me when she and Ross say that their biggest fear was leaving Cooper in the car but they did not do ANYTHING to prevent it, such as put his briefcase in the back seat, etc.

Liars. I just don't buy into her story, or his.

"Did you say too much?" explained.

As in, what in the world did you say that you're now in this situation?!

He didn't have to say anything, he left their son in his car and the 2 year old died. She knew that the minute she heard Cooper didn't make it to daycare that day.

It was like an out-of-body experience. I was out of my mind. ... I thought, Just let me answer the questions.

Did you have an opportunity to give your opinion to police about what you thought could have happened.

I did.

Do you have any sense of time, how long you were in there speaking with those detectives?

I really don't.

Did they let you see your husband?

Yes, they did.

Take us from your first memory of how you came to be meeting with him and what happened in that room.

I did ask to see him. I don't know how long it was before they finished my interview. They said, "We're going to see about getting y'all together." Then the left me, and the next time the door opened, it was Ross coming in.

Were you told you were going to be recorded?

I was not.

He just walked into the room, and I knew I needed to support him, I needed to be strong for him. ... Ross's parents had asked me to be strong for him, that we needed each other to get through this. ... I tried to be supportive, just kind of be the rock in that room.

Have you seen the recording?

I have.

Do you remember that you were not crying during that meeting with your husband?

I can't remember whether I cried or not. .... I did not recognize who that was, myself. I did not know that you could react the way I reacted. It was like somebody else took over my body from me while I was outside my mind trying to figure out what happened. I didn't recognize myself. I didn't recognize my voice, my mannerisms. Everything was foreign when I went back and watched that.

((Leanna))) Crying in Cooper's bed, it hitting her this was real.

Kilgore: I want to the jury to hear from you what you observed face to face with your husband.

It was very difficult to see him like that. That's not a side of Ross that I'd seen. Just very broken. Beside himself. Having to watch it on video, I can't even deal with that. It's just wrong. It was just wrong.

Have you ever seen your husband cry out like that before?

No.

Did he have tears streaming down his face? Was he crying.

He was crying enough that he needed a tissue. I remember his shirt being wet.

Did he tell you that he learned that he had been charged?

Yes.

Do you recall as y'all were sitting face to face, saying something to the effect of, Did you say too much?

I did.

Do you have a recollection of saying that?

I do. ... I know how Ross responds to people, especially people he doesn't know. He talks a lot, even if he doesn't have anything to say. I couldn't understand what was happening. I didn't understand why he was being charged. I didn't understand the actions that were being taken. The only thing I could think of in my head was, "What did you say?" And those are the words that came out.

Do you remember Ross chatting up Det. Stoddard.

I do ... I think he asked him how long have you been in law enforcement. As soon as those words fell out of his mouth, I thought, why are you saying that. It's not a chatty situation. We need to do what these people tell us to do. The thought that crossed my mind was, that's typical. That's very typical of Ross.

Leanna says leaving their son in a hot car was "a fear." She said she'd seen PSAs and seen it on the news and it was a "irrational fear." "I didn't have a reason to fear this. Nothing had ever happened to make me fear this," she said. She said she told that to detectives.

___

but they did nothing to prevent it. SMH

What SHE herself said at the funeral is hearsay? Eh?

"I didn't want to go in my home. It was like I knew, if I went through my door, it would be real. And I didn't want it to be real. So I sat down on the sidewalk. ... We finally went inside and I ... walked into Cooper's room, and I just cried. I finally was able to cry."

A woman from the daycare was with her, and two friends in Marietta came over, and her parents drove over to be with her.

Did you subsequently learn that you were a suspect?

Yes.

Was your computer seized?

Yes.

Was there anything precious to you on that computer?

All my pictures, all my videos (of Cooper).

Are you aware that the images on your computer were ever given to your attorney?

He was given a disk. I was never able to get them, I didn't have anything to dump them onto. (The police had her computer.)

Kilgore asks about Cooper's funeral. Taylor says friends planning the service asked her for photos of Cooper, and that was when she realized she didn't have any images of him. So she texted friends and family and asked them to send any photos of her son.

The funeral was public, wasn't it? Do you have any recollection of saying anything at that time?

Before she can answer, Boring objects, saying Taylor's own statements out of court are inadmissible.

Kilgore then asks whether Harris was permitted to come to the funeral.

Before she can answer, Boring objects on the grounds of relevance.

Instantly both attorneys approach the bench for a sidebar, off the microphone

Tweeters said some jurors appeared emotional, listening to Leanna's testimony?

Taylor testifies that after the funeral, "people were saying things about me that weren't true." She talked about the media encamped at her home and then relates how the the police returned with another warrant. She says she was told to sit on her sofa and was not permitted to follow the officers around.

Kilgore asks her how she felt as the officers did the search.

I lost my son, I lost my husband. I buried my son. I came back. And now they're at my door wanting to search my home again. And they weren't very nice. ... It was basically, we're here, we're going to do this whether you like it or not. It was scary. I've never had any experience with law enforcement other than getting a speeding ticket or something of that nature. Never had a car searched. Never had a home searched.

She says the search warrant had to do with checking for burned-out lightbulbs.

Leanna says Ross took pictures and sent them to her because she was nervous when they first started taking him to day care. She says it then became a regular thing, but once he started moving around more she told him "It's ok. You don't have to send them to me every day." She says she told him that in March 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer