The Sidebar - Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
INow that the Defense and State have concluded their closing arguments, the jury's work will begin.

This is a place to gather, chill, hang out and discuss the trial while the jury deliberates. Will it be a matter of hours? Days? Weeks?

Remember to do so in a respectful way, acknowledging that not all your fellow members feel as you do about this case. It's okay to disagree and still enjoy one another's company. After all, no matter your opinion on this case, you all share much more in common than following this case.

Agree to disagree if you must, scroll and roll when necessary and when all else fails make use of your ignore button.

Time for some downtime.

Thanks for the new digs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

we're back:

[video=youtube;VMK4hgaBVWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMK4hgaBVWI[/video]

We are back .... they not gonna get it til morning?

I assume if the jury will be sequestered they will be told the day before, correct?

she's bringing the jury back in....

sounds like not going to delib tonight? She was talking about giving them something in the morning

It'll take days if the jury is impartial and does their job.

Cooper Harris, a human being.

He deserves justice.

sounds like not going to delib tonight? She was talking about giving them something in the morning
I wonder if they will take a baseline to see where they are at and then dismiss for the night

How embarrassing. The Judge just read the minor victim's name. :(

I think that's a bit unfair to say.. they could be impartial and still all come to an agreement fairly quickly. That said, they do have a lot to go over so I suspect it will take a while

I'm not expecting a hasty verdict. Jury has many charges to consider, lots of evidence to consider, videos to review, etc. This will take time, and I hope they DO take time to carefully consider all aspects of the case. Justice for Cooper!

I think that's a bit unfair to say.. they could be impartial and still all come to an agreement fairly quickly. That said, they do have a lot to go over so I suspect it will take a while

There is a lot to go over, and my opinion it will take days is based on believing it highly unlikely all of those jurors are going to quickly agree on much of anything, other than on the charges relating to minors.

True. They must decide if it was an accident. If not they have to decide which murder count applies

That is really unfair to say. It is their job to decide, and if they are all on one side or all on the other, that is their prerogative. This jury was very carefully selected and has been well educated on their duty. Just because you think he is innocent doesn't mean the jury is partial if they come back quickly with the opposite opinion. I tend to think you'll only think they are biased if they come back quickly with a guilty verdict, but if they come back quickly with a not guilty verdict you won't mind that it took them a short amount of time. IMO.

True. They must decide if it was an accident. If not they have to decide which murder count applies

If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC, then 2nd degree CC, including a finding for each that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.

If they follow their instructions, what they will deliberate first is whether or not the State met it's burden of proof that RH intended to kill Cooper. After that, the burden of proof required to convict on 1st degree CC then 2nd degree CC, including a finding that RH acted with criminal negligence. Those charges are predicates for the felony murder charges, not stand-alone murder charges.

That's right. They have to determine that state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he deliberately committed murder and also prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was not an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy