FAQ's: Websleuths and The Killing Season/Post Your Questions About Websleuths HERE

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
FAQ's
To all of our new members, we bid a warm welcome. To the members we haven't seen in a while, it's great to have you back. Because some of you are new and unfamiliar with the Websleuths site; while others might need a refresher course, we've prepared a few FAQ's. Please use this thread to post questions about the site, itself, and a WS liaison or mod/admin will answer them for you.

NOTE: Questions about the facts of the LISK case should be posted in an appropriate thread. This thread is strictly for questions about the mechanics of Websleuths, and how it works.

1. Why are there so may threads and sub-forums?
Here are the basics:

• A crime occurs or person goes missing. A thread is opened to discuss the case.
  • As the case plays out, occasionally we learn there are additional victims and/or perps, or potential ones.
  • When the facts begin to branch out, in most cases we will start a forum with topic specific threads.
  • So, it's something like this:

WEBSLEUTHS, LLC (the main site)
CATEGORIES e.g., MISSING, CRIMES, TRIALS
FORUMS, e.g., Serial Killers, Missing Persons Discussions, Crimes in the News
THREADS: starting point, one for each case
SUB-FORUMS: a collection of topic threads that branches out from individual cases

2. How do I post?

• [*=left]Find the thread most appropriate for your comment or question. This is very important.

[*=left]Use "Quick Reply" to post with few formatting options. (You won't be able to preview your post.)
    [*=left]Go Advanced for more formatting options, and to be able to preview your post before you submit it.
    [*=left]You will have about only minutes to edit your post if you wish to make changes. So it's a good idea to preview/review before you post.

3. How do I start a new thread?

• [*=left]At this time, only admin and mods can approve new threads. So, if you're an established member with a provocative idea or question to get a good discussion going, look for the icon in the upper left of the thread list. It will say, "Start Thread" (or something similar). Click and start your thread. By the way, a thread starter should always include MSM or LE links to support your statement.
    [*=left]Once you submit the new thread, it will not be immediately visible. Send a private message (PM) to an admin who will review your opening post and decide whether or not it should be approved. In some cases, we might find there is an existing thread on the same topic. If so, we will merge your new thread with the existing one.

4 Who are the administrators or moderators for the The Killing Season forum?

• [*=left]For five years, I've been the sole admin for the LISK forum. So I know about as much as anyone else about the particulars. In addition, you can PM three other admin/owner for assistance: Tricia, Coldpizza, and Shadowraiths.
    [*=left]Site liaisons will be around to answer questions in THIS THREAD ONLY, dealing with how to use the site. They will not answer questions about the case.
5. How do I report an errant post?

• [*=left]Look for the black and white "caution" triangle beneath the post. Click on it, and a small box wll pop up. Type the problem in the box. An admin or mod will read it and take action. Please be patient if no one responds immediately. We work as fast as we can, but sometimes we're tied up with one problem when another springs up.
    [*=left]Under no circumstances should you attempt to "mod the thread". This only leads to ill feelings and misunderstandings. Best solution: alert one post, and then scroll on. Stand back and let the staff handle it.
    [*=left]Don't step into it because you might well find yourself in hot water, too. Keep in mind, if you quote a post that has to be removed, your entire post will be removed, as well.

No doubt, you will have many more questions. Please don't hesitate to post them here, and as I said, a liaison will help you. And as always, questions, problems, and concerns can be addressed in a PM to an admin or mod. DO NOT post complaints in the threads. They will promptly be removed, and your posting privileges subject to suspension.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Thank you, Bessie.

Welcome everyone to Websleuths.

We know it can be a bit overwhelming when you first jump on.

Please use this thread to ask any questions you may have about Websleuths or the Killing Season.

Our members will jump in and help you where they can.

You will also see members with the title "Liason".

These people have been specifically designated to help you as much as possible.

If you don't want to post your question on the board please email us at websleuthscomments@gmail.com

We have wonderful Moderators and Administrators who literally volunteer night and day to keep Websleuths running smoothly.

Please post away any questions and we will do our best to answer every single one.

My name is Tricia Griffith. I am the owner and I am THRILLED to have you on board.

Take Care.

Thank you Bessie.

One thing that had helped me in the past is that at the top under the logo is a series of menus. Under "quick links" click "view site leaders" and it's easy to find a Mod or Admin to ask a question to.

Does anyone know how to watch online if you dont have cable??

Hello! I have an interest in a particular case I was wondering there are ways to get others interested or to get their opinions on it. Anything would help! Please and thank you.

Uah

There may be an easier way but I finally figure out to do it!

Click Quick links

then today's post

o the right side you will see

Forums:

Look around and see what looks like the main category you think your story fits under

Lets say it is a missing person- you will see (in blue) Missing

Click on blue missing

On left you will see tab that says start new one- and your off and running!

Hope this helps and welcome - you have been warned - the place gets addictive while being fascinating

Hello! I have an interest in a particular case I was wondering there are ways to get others interested or to get their opinions on it. Anything would help! Please and thank you.

Uah

:Welcome1: Uah!

First check to see if there is an existing thread or a forum for the case you are interested in. Up top under the main Websleuths Logo there is a blue bar and all the way to the right is a search box. Type in a keyword or click on "advanced search"

HTH!

Good Morning All,

I am a new user, registered yesterday. I heard about your website while watching killing season. I have a very keen interest in the types of things you websleuths do. However, I have always had difficulty knowing where to go to find details about cases. Wikipedia is based on (mostly) public knowledge which can be very skewed and sometimes downright incorrect. News outlets spin the stories to sensationalize them. So, my question is, how do you folks find out the TRUE HARD FACTS about a case?

I've been following these cases lumped together under the label "Long Island Serial Killer" or "The Gilgo Beach Killer" events/victims. This morning I discovered something I somehow had never hear, read or overlooked. It has been reported that one time person of interest Dr C. Peter Hackett has since moved away from Oak Beach to my home state, Florida. Volusia county has been said to be his new haunt. Several women have gone missing in and around Daytona without a trace. Local authorities refer to Bike Week being a contributing factor but in the sense of these women taking off with tourists and leaving sunny Florida behind. I'm not so sure about these cases now. The circumstances are eerily similar including victimology.

How do we pass this on to researchers? I'm too curious for my own good sometimes but this guy isn't far from me.

Good Morning All,

I am a new user, registered yesterday. I heard about your website while watching killing season. I have a very keen interest in the types of things you websleuths do. However, I have always had difficulty knowing where to go to find details about cases. Wikipedia is based on (mostly) public knowledge which can be very skewed and sometimes downright incorrect. News outlets spin the stories to sensationalize them. So, my question is, how do you folks find out the TRUE HARD FACTS about a case?

Multiple and comparative sourcing on MSM; documenting info as it appears, sometimes, before it disappears; an incredible network of local people with immense good will willing to dig deep for facts; a given ethic, rare and unique evidence of compassion for individual victims and their families, communities, those seeking justice; garners trust, ground truths, discussions, and what I end up appreciating most, patience for misques when they occur without malice only. I could go on and on, but that's just some of the filters, I guess?

:welcome: Caribou_birdie and thank you for asking this question.

Good Morning All,

:Welcome1: caribou!

IMO "True hard facts" are those released by LE in a press conference, affidavit, search warrant, etc. We use Main Stream Media (MSM) as an official source while realizing that stories do get spun. So when MSM conflicts with actual LE facts I go with the known facts. When theorizing I try to base a theory on the actual facts rather than random speculation. That is just me. (JMO)

Take a look around and post any questions in this thread. Enjoy. We are always helping each other here.

I've been following these cases lumped together under the label "Long Island Serial Killer" or "The Gilgo Beach Killer" events/victims. This morning I discovered something I somehow had never hear, read or overlooked. It has been reported that one time person of interest Dr C. Peter Hackett has since moved away from Oak Beach to my home state, Florida. Volusia county has been said to be his new haunt. Several women have gone missing in and around Daytona without a trace. Local authorities refer to Bike Week being a contributing factor but in the sense of these women taking off with tourists and leaving sunny Florida behind. I'm not so sure about these cases now. The circumstances are eerily similar including victimology.

How do we pass this on to researchers? I'm too curious for my own good sometimes but this guy isn't far from me.

:Welcome1: ladymandrake!

There is a post about phone numbers up thread to call if you have tips. While researching cases you can do a thread search. Catching up involves a lot of reading and I am struggling with that myself, LOL
Victimology is quite an angle and profiler PB featured on the "killing Season" seems undoubtedly talented in that respect. Perhaps there is some contact info for him or message Rachel here @ Danse_Macabre.

Enjoy your research here - we are a large and diverse community!

ETA: The phone numbers for contacting investigators are in this post from Bessie on the LISK discussion thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ason-Episodes-1-and-2&p=12932616#post12932616

I have a question. To bring up a case do I start a new forum? I tried starting a new topic but it said I didn't have permission.

Uah

I have a question. To bring up a case do I start a new forum? I tried starting a new topic but it said I didn't have permission.

Uah
Welcome, Uah. You will require a few more posts before you can start a new topic thread. I believe the minimum posts is 15 right now. If you want to start a new thread in the LISK forum, It will have to be approved by an admin or mod. You can pm one of us with your idea. If it's appropriate, and not redundant, in most cases we will approve it.

In most forums, such as MISSING PERSONS DISCUSSION and others, you can start a thread without mod approval. Please remember to include a link to MSM to support your topic.

Hope that helps. If not, don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Regards,

Bessie
WS Administrator

Thanks for the help everyone!! Very helpful. Ready to roll 🔎

Uah

Hello I have one more question. If we were to talk to someone about a case outside this website, what are your feelings on registered users saying they are apart of Websleuths ?

Uah

(Yay, thanks for this, subscribing bc I'm see I'm going to need this link at some point.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back