GUILTY UK - Anthony Walker, 18, brutally murdered, Liverpool, 30 July 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Two men have pleaded not guilty to the murder of black teenager Anthony Walker.

Paul Taylor and Michael Barton, aged 20 and 17, are accused of killing the 18-year-old A-level student by bludgeoning him with an axe in Huyton, Merseyside, in July.

The pair are also accused of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm to Anthony and to his cousin, Marcus Binns, who was with him when the alleged attack took place.

The pair appeared before Preston Crown Court and pleaded not guilty to both charges.

During a hearing, which lasted nearly two hours, Mr Justice Leveson selected a jury from the Preston area.

More: http://icessex.icnetwork.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16369955&method=full&siteid=50102&headline=two-deny-black-student-s-axe-murder-name_page.html#story_continue

Now why does the media insist on saying stuff like that? They needed to include race in the story??? :doh:

BLUDGEONED WITH AN ICE AXE JUST FOR BEING BLACK

Murder trial told of attack on Anthony,18
By Will Batchelor

BLACK schoolboy Anthony Walker was butchered with an ice axe "for no other reason than the colour of his skin", a murder trial heard yesterday.​

Anthony, 18, was branded a "n **** r" anda "c ** n" then chased by a racist gang, the court was told.​

His parents gasped in horror as the two-foot ice axe used to smash his skull was shown to the jury.​

Michael Barton, the 17-year-old brother of Manchester City footballer Joey Barton, denies murdering Anthony and conspiring to cause grievous bodily harm.​

Barton's cousin Paul Taylor, 20, has admitted striking the fatal blow, which left the axe embedded in Anthony's head.​

But prosecutors claim Barton supplied the murder weapon.​

Anthony was targeted as he stood at a Liverpool bus stop with his white girlfriend Louise Thompson and cousin Marcus Binns, 18.​

Opening the case against Barton, prosecutor Neil Flewitt QC said: "Paul Taylor and Michael Barton are white. Anthony Walker and Marcus Binns are black. Paul Taylor, Michael Barton and others decided to pursue Anthony Walker and Marcus Binns for no reason other than the colour of their skin."​

EDITED DUE TO COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. SEE LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE.
More:​

Jeana (DP) said:
Now why does the media insist on saying stuff like that? They needed to include race in the story??? :doh:
From what I just posted and read, it's a racially-motivated crime. Unfortunately, these digusting crimes do still exist :(

It's so sad there are still people like that in the world :( :furious:

PrayersForMaura said:
From what I just posted and read, it's a racially-motivated crime. Unfortunately, these digusting crimes do still exist :(

I didn't see the racial slurs in the first article. Its disgusting!

Jeana (DP) said:
I didn't see the racial slurs in the first article. Its disgusting!
I didn't either ... the second one is what made me believe it myself. It's terrible. These hate crimes make me physically ill and sad :(

PrayersForMaura said:
I didn't either ... the second one is what made me believe it myself. It's terrible. These hate crimes make me physically ill and sad :(

Me too. Its hard to believe that ignorance of that magnitude still exists, but it does and more than we know.

LONDON (AFP) - The 17-year-old brother of a Premiership footballer was convicted of the racist axe murder of a black teenager which shocked Britain.

Anthony Walker, an 18-year-old secondary school student, was left with the axe embedded in his skull after he walked away from louts yelling racist abuse in the Huyton suburb of Liverpool, last July.
Michael Barton, brother of Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton, was found guilty by a jury at Preston Crown Court, sitting in Liverpool.

Walker, a devout Christian and talented athlete, was attacked as he walked his girlfriend to a bus stop with his cousin Marcus Binns.

Paul Taylor, 20, inflicted the fatal blow and admitted murder, but Barton was convicted on the grounds that he supplied the axe and sparked the confrontation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051130/wl_uk_afp/britaincrimejusticeracism_051130145709

AFP/Merseyside Police/File Photo: Anthony Walker was killed in a brutal axe attack in Huyton, Liverpool. The 17-year-old brother...

From December 2005:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/dec/01/ukcrime.race

Two cousins were today sentenced for life for the racist axe murder of black teenager Anthony Walker.

Paul Taylor, 20, who drove an ice axe into the 18-year-old student's head, must serve at least 23 years and eight months of his mandatory life sentence.

Taylor's 17-year-old cousin Michael Barton, brother of the Manchester City footballer Joey Barton, must serve a minimum of 17 years and eight months for the murder in Huyton, Merseyside, in July.

BBC 1/iPlayer released the film Anthony yesterday.
Now available online:
This film tells the story of how this talented young man’s life might have turned out. Written by Bafta-winning screenwriter Jimmy McGovern, Anthony’s imagined life is told in reverse chronology as we see him realise his dreams and enjoy the life he had a right to live, before fate - and hate - take it all away.

BBC iPlayer - Anthony

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back