Boycotting Or Blowing Hot Air?

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Don't like something? Boycott it.

In recent weeks, the American Girl doll stores, teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch and an entire country--Aruba--found themselves on do-not-shop lists.

They became targets of a political and social weapon that is easier to employ in the age of instant communications, one which can induce frustration or even panic in corporate boardrooms. Though sometimes, depending on the personality of the company, a boycott can result in a publicity bonanza.

In the past year, Walgreens, Kraft Foods, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Lowe's stores and Disney have incurred the high-profile wrath of the left, the right and sometimes both at the same time.

Monroe Friedman, a professor emeritus at Eastern Michigan University who has studied boycotts for 35 years, said it is difficult to quantify whether the strategy has gained or lost effectiveness in an era he describes as "the boycott of the week."

But because the Internet has made it easier for many voices to be heard, boycotts can achieve results even without mobilizing a single shopper to stay away. The threat can be enough.

"Most are not even boycotts at all ... but just a call for a boycott, which is really just a way to get attention," Friedman said.

A search of the word "boycott" on Google turned up current or dormant calls for boycotts of Microsoft, Nike, Gillette, Delta, Sinclair Broadcasting and Israeli goods, among many others.

Story in Full

I am fairly certain we ALL missed the microsoft boycot.

I doubt to many are here running Apple or Linux :)

"Boycotting or Blowing Hot Air?"

Excellent article, Cass! :)

Thanks for finding & posting it!

I hope the exasperated & caring posters on both sides of the *boycott Aruba issue* in "Natalee's Forum" will take a few minutes to access this article and read it in it's entirety.

It's good 'food for thought' - and information certainly enriches all of us.

Thanks, Cass :blowkiss:

13th Juror :)

Thanks 13th J.

I didn't know about the Disney boycott either, I would rather die than boycott Disney :snooty:

Amraann said:
I am fairly certain we ALL missed the microsoft boycot.

I doubt to many are here running Apple or Linux :)
Hey:razz: I love my Mac! LOL...:eek: Most teachers love Mac's.:D I want their new laptop. I know I won't get it this year.....but one can always dream.:woohoo:

Casshew said:
Thanks 13th J.

I didn't know about the Disney boycott either, I would rather die than boycott Disney :snooty:
OMgosh yes, that was a HUGE boycott, especially with the Baptist.

Maybe we should "pick our battles"?

Boycotting the American Girl dolls is like boycotting Mary Poppins because she's abusive to umbrellas.

Marthatex said:
Maybe we should "pick our battles"?

Boycotting the American Girl dolls is like boycotting Mary Poppins because she's abusive to umbrellas.
LOL...good one Marthatex.:crazy:

Casshew said:
Thanks 13th J.

I didn't know about the Disney boycott either, I would rather die than boycott Disney. :snooty:

Me too, Cass - and I live down here about 30 minutes away. Love the Disney experience!! :D

The Southern Baptist Conference makes a big stink and calls for a boycott every year over Disney's elaborate Gay Days Celebration. IMO - the boycott called for & all the hoopla is rather ridiculous and mostly just adds more publicity for Disney's agenda for that particular week-end.

13th Juror :)

Boycotting Aruba punishes the wrong people. Those people living and working in Aruba are people just like all of us here - if they had the power to answer the "who killed Natalee" question, we would probably already have the answer.

Look at all the unsolved mysteries right here in our own communities, in the US. We all see stories that screams of LE not doing their jobs, not doing them very well or cases where it looks like they are protecting people. We don't have the power to change those investigations.

So, pray tell, how do the people making a living at Abercrombie or any other Aruban company have the power to change Natalee's case and why would we punish those people with boycotts?

How many people from other countries do you think have entered the US and been killed? There are probably scores of unsolved murders of "tourists" to the US and I don't want to be boycotted because of them - I can't change it!

The boycott of Aruba basically won't change anything because the Aruban government doesn't want the disappearance of Natalee Holloway solved.

I would participate in a boycott if the reasoning behind it was sound and of social value.

A & F had t-shirts that had "disparaging" comments of girls. These shirts perpetuated the "image" that girls are not worthy.

The Gap- sweatshops that employ "slave" labour and exploit children.

But to boycott Disney because a group of people don't agree with the inclusion of people exercising their civil rights. I don't think so...........I am not going to support their "homophobic" agenda.

There has to be at least a socially redeaming value to all of society if I participate in a boycott. Not just a select few..............

I don't have so much of a problem with asking people think about choosing another destination for travel, but when you drag Holland into it boycotting their airline & products (like tulip bulbs etc)- thats a bit much.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is our Ally and we have diplomatic relationships and economic relations and all that has nothing to do with the Aruba situation.

It is easy to jump on the bandwagon with all these grand ideas - no thought put into the impact of your actions. I think the boycotter's hearts are in the right place though, they are very frustrated and want to lash out at someone/something - this is revenge born of exasperation.

OFF TOPIC - but every time I see the title of this thread it reminds me of that picture Cass posted that was supposed to be Jeana swimming. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You know - the "blowing hot air" part! :D :D :D

Casshew said:
I don't have so much of a problem with asking people think about choosing another destination for travel, but when you drag Holland into it boycotting their airline & products (like tulip bulbs etc)- thats a bit much.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is our Ally and we have diplomatic relationships and economic relations and all that has nothing to do with the Aruba situation.

It is easy to jump on the bandwagon with all these grand ideas - no thought put into the impact of your actions. I think the boycotter's hearts are in the right place though, they are very frustrated and want to lash out at someone/something - this is revenge born of exasperation.

Very well put.

I don't believe in boycotts for a couple of reasons...

First most of the folks that are spouting off about the boycot do not have all of the info before they start talking it up. My husband was in managment for Toyota. After 9-11 my aunt helped circulate an email saying to boycot all Japanese car manufacturers because they did not help out financially for the recovery. Huge misinformation!! And I couldn't believe that she sent it to us knowing fully well that we relied upon Toyota for our living! I sent her copies of all the the contributions made by Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc but of course she never forwarded it to all of her email list...

Second, the boycot rarely hurts the ones you want to feel the pain. If I stay away from Aruba, the waiter is going to feel the lack of tips, the car rental folks may loose their jobs because the visitors are not coming and the tour operators fail as no one is there to go parasailing or diving. Those folks then will not be spending their $$ at grocery stores etc. It is not fair and really won't hit the government or police....

Casshew said:
Casshew... just my :twocents: but that really was an excellent post. I couldn't have said it better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back