Australia Australia - Quanne Diec, 12, Granville, NSW, 27 Jul 1998 *Arrest*

Herberth

Reaction score
First time starting a thread so apologies if I'm not doing it right or putting in the wrong spot. I searched for a thread already made for Quanne but couldn't find one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...ing-granville-girl-quanne-diec-murder/8041432

Police have begun to search a property in Sydney's west hoping to find the body of a missing 12-year-old schoolgirl, who disappeared 18 years ago.

Key points:

Quanne Diec disappeared after leaving her Granville home for school in 1998
A 49-year-old man went to police yesterday and has been charged with murder
Police looking for her remains at a property in western Sydney
Officers said old-fashioned detective work led to a man being charged yesterday with the murder of Quanne Diec.

Vincent Tarantino, 49, did not apply for bail and it was formally refused when he appeared in Sydney's Central Local Court this morning.

He lived in the same suburb as the missing girl.

Quanne is believed to have been abducted on her way to school from her Granville home in 1998.

At the time, police said her disappearance was out of character.

A search of a residence for Quanne's remains is underway today.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-search-for-body-of-missing-schoolgirl-quanne-diac-700-metres-from-family-home-20161121-gstt0k.html

Police search for body of missing schoolgirl Quanne Diac 700 metres from family home

"Missing schoolgirl Quanne Diec was enticed off her street and detained by a man who intended to hold her for ransom, then murdered her sometime during a 13-hour period in 1998, police will allege."

"Mr Tarantino, who also goes by the name Victor Gerada, attended Surry Hills police station on Sunday to be interviewed by detectives."

First time starting a thread so apologies if I'm not doing it right or putting in the wrong spot. I searched for a thread already made for Quanne but couldn't find one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...ing-granville-girl-quanne-diec-murder/8041432

Police have begun to search a property in Sydney's west hoping to find the body of a missing 12-year-old schoolgirl, who disappeared 18 years ago.

Key points:

Quanne Diec disappeared after leaving her Granville home for school in 1998
A 49-year-old man went to police yesterday and has been charged with murder
Police looking for her remains at a property in western Sydney
Officers said old-fashioned detective work led to a man being charged yesterday with the murder of Quanne Diec.

Vincent Tarantino, 49, did not apply for bail and it was formally refused when he appeared in Sydney's Central Local Court this morning.

He lived in the same suburb as the missing girl.

Quanne is believed to have been abducted on her way to school from her Granville home in 1998.

At the time, police said her disappearance was out of character.

A search of a residence for Quanne's remains is underway today.

Thank you for starting a thread for Quanne, Herberth. Hopefully, her remains will be found so her parents can finally lay her to rest. As for Tarantino, may justice finally be served.

Man charged with Quanne Diec's murder says brother and partner killed in retribution

'Vinzent Tarantino made comment against the advice of his lawyer as he appeared briefly in court

A man accused of the murder of a 12-year-old Sydney schoolgirl in 1998 says his brother and his partner were killed in revenge for his actions, a court has heard.

Vinzent Tarantino, 49, made the comments against the advice of his lawyer as he appeared briefly at central local court on Monday after being arrested on Sunday over the murder of Quanne Diec.

“I believe my b[r]other ... and partner ... have been murdered in retaliation for what I’ve done,” Tarantino told magistrate Les Mabbutt.

He did not apply for bail and will return to Parramatta local court on 19 January charged with murder, detaining for advantage and possession of a knife.

Meanwhile, detectives are searching a Granville home in Sydney’s west for the remains of the 12-year-old.'

Drat, its subscribe only tracecomp.
Are you able to paraphrase? TIA.

Good news for an old cold case!

Drat, its subscribe only tracecomp.
Are you able to paraphrase? TIA.

Sorry tracecomp for asking you to paraphrase, realise you probably already had.

http://www.news.com.au/national/qua...8/news-story/b8a1eb73e678cc40807c55228f70beec

A house is being searched on Second St, Granville, just a few streets away from Quanne’s home on Seventh St where her parents still live and metres away from the Australia Post sorting facility outside of which the schoolgirl was last seen.
Neighbours say the elderly man who occupies the house with his adult son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren had been there for more than 50 years and raised three sons at the modest home with his wife, who is believed to have died in the late 1990s.

Now I'm confused.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/11/21/vietnamese-bhuddist-leader-asks-community-pray-quanne

Neighbour Peter Youssef, who described himself as a close family friend of the youngest Gerada son, told AAP the man he knew as Victor Gerada was a former Kings Cross security guard who had moved out of the home at a young age.
"I've never known him to live in that house, but he's come to see his parents. Since we were young he's been out of the house," Mr Youssef said.

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/s...uanne-diac-700-metres-from-family-home/?cs=12

According to court documents, Mr Tarantino "did entice away and detain Quanne Diec, with intent to hold her for ransom, and caused her a substantial injury".
He murdered her between 6.30am and 7.30pm on July 27, 1998, the court documents say.
Mr Tarantino did not apply for bail in Central Local Court on Monday but made bizarre comments about "what I have done".
"Can I say something, your honour?" he said to magistrate Les Mabbutt.
"I believe my brother ... and my partner ... have been murdered in retaliation for what I have done."
Mr Mabbutt noted that Mr Tarantino's comments were now on the record but did not say anything further.
Wearing jeans and a blue polo shirt, Mr Tarantino was represented by a Legal Aid lawyer.
Mr Tarantino has also been charged with having custody of a knife in a public place after he was allegedly caught carrying a 35-centimetre kitchen knife in Surry Hills on Sunday.

Just looking back into the past re early anonymous calls to police as to where Quanne's remains could be found - how beyond cruel this has all been to Quanne and her beloved family. I'm praying that this isn't a repeat and Quanne can be returned to her family.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightAustralia/ar/t88.htm

NSW: Police appeal to mystery caller about missing girl
From: AAP General News (Australia) | Date: February 3, 1999 | More results for: Quanne Diec

AAP General News (Australia)

02-03-1999

SYDNEY, Feb 3 AAP - A man who anonymously rang police twice with information about missing
Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec could help solve the mystery of her disappearance six months
ago, police said today.

The caller, a man police believed to be aged in his early 20s, might have vital information
about the 12-year-old's abduction and urged him to call again, Detective Inspector Stephen
Mathews said today.

Two calls, the first in November and the second last month, were to Crime Stoppers by the
same person, the first leading to a fruitless search of a creek near where the girl
disappeared on July 27.

Insp Mathews said the person appeared to have some involvement in the abduction, but seemed
willing to help.

Insp Mathews and a member of Quanne's family held a media conference in Factory Street at
7.45am today to correspond with the time of her abduction to again try to jog people's
memories.

Quanne vanished after leaving her Seventh Street home in Granville for school on July 27
last year.

It is believed she was picked up by the driver of a white van in nearby Factory Street
around 7.45am.

A 300-metre section of Duck River, a waterway near where Quanne was last seen, was drained
on January 12 after the man called Crime Stoppers with information in November, but nothing
was found.

Insp Mathews said last night that the man called police again just after the dredging of
the creek.

"The information was that we've missed vital clues," he said.

"The area where we've covered is apparently not the right area."

Insp Mathews said the man was "quite probably" involved in Quanne's abduction.

"We believe that the person contacting us has some knowledge of Quanne's disappearance," he
said.

"We just think this person has got so much more information that we really could use."

Quanne's family, Vietnamese Buddhists who immigrated to Australia during the 1970s, have
been praying twice daily for her safe return for the past six months.

"In our hearts ... we believe that she is alive. There's still a strong sense (that she
is)," her brother Sunny said last month.

A month after Quanne's disappearance, NSW Police Minister Paul Whelan announced a $100,000
reward for information leading to her recovery or the conviction of those responsible.

Three days later Sydney's Chinese community boosted the pledge by $50,000.

AAP jk/jo/tsm

This is sounding like it could be a false confession. Tarantino presents as mentally disturbed and no physical evidence has been reported found yet.

This is sounding like it could be a false confession. Tarantino presents as mentally disturbed and no physical evidence has been reported found yet.

I have to agree JLZ.
I was alluding to that in my post and truly hope that this person is not playing a sick game within his ill mind.

Just looking back into the past re early anonymous calls to police as to where Quanne's remains could be found - how beyond cruel this has all been to Quanne and her beloved family. I'm praying that this isn't a repeat and Quanne can be returned to her family.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightAustralia/ar/t88.htm

From: AAP General News (Australia) | Date: February 3, 1999 | More results for: Quanne Diec

AAP General News (Australia)

02-03-1999

SYDNEY, Feb 3 AAP - A man who anonymously rang police twice with information about missing
Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec could help solve the mystery of her disappearance six months
ago, police said today.

The caller, a man police believed to be aged in his early 20s, might have vital information
about the 12-year-old's abduction and urged him to call again, Detective Inspector Stephen
Mathews said today.

Two calls, the first in November and the second last month, were to Crime Stoppers by the
same person, the first leading to a fruitless search of a creek near where the girl
disappeared on July 27.

Insp Mathews said the person appeared to have some involvement in the abduction, but seemed
willing to help.

Insp Mathews and a member of Quanne's family held a media conference in Factory Street at
7.45am today to correspond with the time of her abduction to again try to jog people's
memories.

Quanne vanished after leaving her Seventh Street home in Granville for school on July 27
last year.

It is believed she was picked up by the driver of a white van in nearby Factory Street
around 7.45am.

A 300-metre section of Duck River, a waterway near where Quanne was last seen, was drained
on January 12 after the man called Crime Stoppers with information in November, but nothing
was found.

Insp Mathews said last night that the man called police again just after the dredging of
the creek.

"The information was that we've missed vital clues," he said.

"The area where we've covered is apparently not the right area."

Insp Mathews said the man was "quite probably" involved in Quanne's abduction.

"We believe that the person contacting us has some knowledge of Quanne's disappearance," he
said.

"We just think this person has got so much more information that we really could use."

Quanne's family, Vietnamese Buddhists who immigrated to Australia during the 1970s, have
been praying twice daily for her safe return for the past six months.

"In our hearts ... we believe that she is alive. There's still a strong sense (that she
is)," her brother Sunny said last month.

A month after Quanne's disappearance, NSW Police Minister Paul Whelan announced a $100,000
reward for information leading to her recovery or the conviction of those responsible.

Three days later Sydney's Chinese community boosted the pledge by $50,000.

AAP jk/jo/tsm

Could the anonymous caller have been Tarantino? The police believe the caller was a man in his early twenties, Tarantino would have been around 30. It would be difficult to judge the age of a caller by their voice, I've been terribly mistaken with voices and age.

It's a bit worrisome that Tarantino blurted out his partner and brother were murdered in retaliation but are very much alive, the police will be treading carefully, I'm sure. If he lived nearby at the time of Quanne's disappearance, it's a big deal, it's something a person would never forget, so it could be playing on his mind and combined with a severe mental illness, he might actually believe he's a murderer and not be. JMO

Could the anonymous caller have been Tarantino? The police believe the caller was a man in his early twenties, Tarantino would have been around 30. It would be difficult to judge the age of a caller by their voice, I've been terribly mistaken with voices and age.

It's a bit worrisome that Tarantino blurted out his partner and brother were murdered in retaliation but are very much alive, the police will be treading carefully, I'm sure. If he lived nearby at the time of Quanne's disappearance, it's a big deal, it's something a person would never forget, so it could be playing on his mind and combined with a severe mental illness, he might actually believe he's a murderer and not be. JMO

It is worry PS that Tarantino does not appear to be well and I do note that police have not ruled out that others may be involved.

He said police had not ruled out further arrests.

Trying to understand the ransom angle. It doesn't seem as if her family were contacted. Such a short period of time.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-se...-metres-from-family-home-20161121-gstt0k.html

According to court documents, Mr Tarantino "did entice away and detain Quanne Diec, with intent to hold her for ransom, and caused her a substantial injury".
He murdered her between 6.30am and 7.30pm on July 27, 1998, the court documents say.

And:

Her disappearance was not reported to police for about 10 hours because the school believed she was probably sick at home, while her family thought she was at school.

Perhaps he had another brother and a former partner? It's been said that the house that is being searched, three sons were brought up there, and now also that the house was Tarantino's family home.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/b4cc7c663e97f06ac409419956d61e79

More about Tarantino being a protected witness . . . murders at bondage club . . . attempted suicide . . . claims of approaching gunman disrupted dinner party . . . .

Has Tarantino entered a plea? Has he actually confessed? If so, can't he remember what time he strangled Quanne better than between 6:30am and 7:30pm? "Murdered in retaliation for what I have done" might not even be referring to killing Quanne; perhaps he means his brother and partner were murdered as a result of his giving information against bikies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back