WY WY/OK - Royal Russell Long, 1970s and 1980s

Claudette

Reaction score
There was a SK in the WY/OK areas in the 1970s and 1980s named Royal Russell Long. He was tied to several disappearances and deaths, some of which were from carnivals or similar events. There is surprisingly very little information about him available.

Known victims

Sharon Baldeagle, 12, hitchhiker, Wyoming, September 19 1984

Charlotte Kinsey, 13, Oklahoma State Fair 1981

Cinda Pallett, 13, Oklahoma State Fair 1981

Presumed victims

Carlene Brown, 19, Rawlins WY Rodeo, July 4 1974

Christy Gross, 19, Rawlins WY Rodeo, July 4 1974

Deborah Meyer, 14, Rawlins WY, August 4 1974 (same town as the rodeo)

Jayleen Dawn Banker, 10, Rawlins WY, August 23 1974

Survivors

Unnamed friend of Sharon Baldeagle, 16, hitchhiker, Wyoming, September 19 1984

Two male friends of Charlotte and Cinda

Long was arrested in Albuquerque a week after Baldeagle's disappearance. He went to prison for her disappearance.

Long was charged with the murders of Charlotte and Cinda but the case was dismissed due to "lack of evidence". Technically I guess they would be considered presumed victims, but I think it was a miscarriage of justice that this case was thrown out by the judge. It's pretty clear he was the killer.

His victims usually were in pairs, however he did have single victims. His victims had a fairly wide age range of 10-19 and did not prefer specific features (victims have been both Caucasian with varying hair and eye color, as well as one native American victim). Thus, he was more of an opportunistic SK with a vague preference of young females.

According to Charley Project:

"Long lived in the Rawlins area in 1974 and worked at local fairs and carnivals. He died in prison in 1993 and was never convicted in connection with any missing people besides Sharon. "

"Royal Russell Long...was employed as carnie and part-time long-haul truck driver [in 1981]."

"Long was apprehended in 1985 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sharon wasn't with him and he said he did not know her whereabouts. He said he drove her to Cheyenne, Wyoming and put her on a bus or truck bound for Dallas, Texas and this was the last time he ever saw her. Prosecutors considered charging Long with Sharon's murder, but they decided against it, and Sharon's father stated he believed his daughter was alive. Long pleaded guilty to two counts of kidnapping for the purpose of committing indecent liberties with a minor and was sentenced to two life terms in prison."

"[Long's] own daughter claimed he had molested her for years and witnessed him try to lure other girls with puppies or stuffed animals." Note: stuffed animals were found in his car when arrested in NM. He lured Cinda, Charlotte and two boys with stuffed animals by "hiring" them to unload a truck of stuffed animals for the carnival.

He held two traveling jobs - with a traveling carnival and as a long-haul trucker. Considering the sheer number of known and presumed victims, plus the fact he traveled, it is almost guaranteed there are other victims that have yet to be tied to him.

Are the following possible victims?

Diane Olson, 16, July 1963, Pinedale WY

Sandy Rea, 17, September 19 1984, Oklahoma

Patricia Lynn Taylor, 14?, August 31 1981, Oklahoma

I doubt Sandy Rea was a victim. I live in Shawnee. She was last seen alive at a bowling alley and had a history of accepting rides from strangers. My parents, who are close in age to Sandy, think she was abducted by someone - but Royal Russell Long wasn't the type to trick a girl at a bowling alley into getting into a vehicle - he targeted girls while rodeos or carnivals were in town.

Royal russell long:

Proven victims:

-Cinda Leanne Pallett(09/26/1981)

-Charlotte June Kinsey(09/26/1981)

-Sharon Baldeagle(09/18/1984)

-unnamed friend of Sharon
——————————————————————
Presumed victims:

-Carlene brown(07/04/1974)

-Christy Gross(07/04/1974) (11/09/1983)

-Deborah Rae Meyer(08/04/1974)

-Jayleen Dawn banker(08/23/1974) (08/29/1974)

-Fawn Abell(07/25/1985)

-Rozlin Abell(07/25/1985)
——————————————————————
Possible:

-Lynette Dawn Culvert(05/06/1975)

-Tina Anderson(07/22/1978)(1981)

-Patrica Campbell(07/22/1978)(1981)(2007)

-Oneida County Jane Doe(10/26/1986) this Jane doe is being tested against Carlene brown

I came across a few things while researching 'Royal' Russell Long that might be of interest to people.

1) While incarcerated and awaiting trial, an Oklahoma City newspaper quoted him as saying the girls were alive, that he had photographic evidence of this, and that if he wasn't exonerated he would provide proof they were alive with these pictures. It sounded like blackmail.

2) Several of his known or suspected abductions involved at least 2 mishaps where law enforcement got the wrong guy for the crime first.

In the case of the Abell sisters, RRL was in custody in Wyoming when they went missing. He was exonerated of having been involved because of this fact.
In the case of Cindy Pallett and Charlotte June Kinsey, RRL was not their first suspect. Don Corey was apprehended and had an alibi for when these girls went missing. He was in Dallas, TX at the time. And where did RRL claim Sharon Baldeagle had gone? Dallas, TX.
TheCharleyProject: "He carried Sharon out to his truck and drove her to Cheyenne, then put her on a light-colored truck bound for Dallas, Texas"

The judge in this case and the county district attorney both gave independent accounts that the OKC police department rushed the process and didn't do due diligence collecting evidence. They tried to strong-arm a trial and RRL was acquitted because of this. RRL was released. He was tried several years later and sentenced after another pair of girls went missing.

3) All victims were sexually assaulted and died from blunt force trauma to the head.

4.) RRL's known and suspected abductions all involved masquerading as an employee at carnivals, fairs, or rodeo events.

Has anyone ever followed up on if RRL had an accomplice for these abductions?

RRL Always abducted girls IN PAIRS with very distinctly different victim profiles. I found several that appear to be native american and similar in physical appearance. RRL barely bothered with Sharon Baldeagle other than to physically harm her. The account the rescued victim gave stated that he beat up the native american girl and then turned his pedophilic attention to the other victim. It was suspected that he may have had an accomplice in these crimes. None was ever found. TheCharleyProject: "They couldn't identify the truck driver Sharon supposedly got a ride to Dallas with, or find anyone who had seen this trucker or his truck."

Also, in the case of the Abell sisters, their still-living sister gave an interview about their disappearances. She states very clearly that the family was involved in child trafficking and that the father was a serial rapist and pedophile. She even claimed to have paperwork and a living witness from her elementary school to support her account. She claimed the family were involved in covering up the father's crimes and she has been outcast from her family for this. I believe this woman may have information relevant to these disappearances. The father had a relationship with OKC PD and they never investigated him. He is now deceased.

Here's her account:
*I don't have a newspaper subscription, but this is the quote from the article.
RRL Quote: "If required, we were ready to prove Pallett and Kinsey are alive today. We would have done this if necessary... by hard evidence, such as witnesses who have been with the girls as recently as several months ago and photos of them taken last year."

Last edited:
I should add that Royal Russell Long kept these victims at his house in Evansville, Wyoming.

Evansville is a very very small population pool. 2,000-3,000 residents for most of these years. I can find no record of a Royal Russell Long in this area outside of his arrest record in Albuquerque, New Mexico after his victim escaped and he fled the state. Sharon Baldeagle was never found.

Evansville is a portion of the greater Casper, Wyoming area and one of its main economic forces during this period (80's) was a Sinclair Oil refinery. Records of RRL activity exist in WY, NM, AZ, SD, OK, and TX.

Last edited:
I came across a few things while researching 'Royal' Russell Long that might be of interest to people.

1) While incarcerated and awaiting trial, an Oklahoma City newspaper quoted him as saying the girls were alive, that he had photographic evidence of this, and that if he wasn't exonerated he would provide proof they were alive with these pictures. It sounded like blackmail.

2) Several of his known or suspected abductions involved at least 2 mishaps where law enforcement got the wrong guy for the crime first.

In the case of the Abell sisters, RRL was in custody in Wyoming when they went missing. He was exonerated of having been involved because of this fact.
In the case of Cindy Pallett and Charlotte June Kinsey, RRL was not their first suspect. Don Corey was apprehended and had an alibi for when these girls went missing. He was in Dallas, TX at the time. And where did RRL claim Sharon Baldeagle had gone? Dallas, TX.
TheCharleyProject: "He carried Sharon out to his truck and drove her to Cheyenne, then put her on a light-colored truck bound for Dallas, Texas"

The judge in this case and the county district attorney both gave independent accounts that the OKC police department rushed the process and didn't do due diligence collecting evidence. They tried to strong-arm a trial and RRL was acquitted because of this. RRL was released. He was tried several years later and sentenced after another pair of girls went missing.

3) All victims were sexually assaulted and died from blunt force trauma to the head.

4.) RRL's known and suspected abductions all involved masquerading as an employee at carnivals, fairs, or rodeo events.

Has anyone ever followed up on if RRL had an accomplice for these abductions?

RRL Always abducted girls IN PAIRS with very distinctly different victim profiles. I found several that appear to be native american and similar in physical appearance. RRL barely bothered with Sharon Baldeagle other than to physically harm her. The account the rescued victim gave stated that he beat up the native american girl and then turned his pedophilic attention to the other victim. It was suspected that he may have had an accomplice in these crimes. None was ever found. TheCharleyProject: "They couldn't identify the truck driver Sharon supposedly got a ride to Dallas with, or find anyone who had seen this trucker or his truck."

Also, in the case of the Abell sisters, their still-living sister gave an interview about their disappearances. She states very clearly that the family was involved in child trafficking and that the father was a serial rapist and pedophile. She even claimed to have paperwork and a living witness from her elementary school to support her account. She claimed the family were involved in covering up the father's crimes and she has been outcast from her family for this. I believe this woman may have information relevant to these disappearances. The father had a relationship with OKC PD and they never investigated him. He is now deceased.

Here's her account:
*I don't have a newspaper subscription, but this is the quote from the article.
RRL Quote: "If required, we were ready to prove Pallett and Kinsey are alive today. We would have done this if necessary... by hard evidence, such as witnesses who have been with the girls as recently as several months ago and photos of them taken last year."
So there is actual evidence that the girls aren’t dead? Could they still be out there and alive?

According to RRL, an incarcerated soon to be deathrow inmate. I dont know if this points to them being alive or not at this point, but it may point to RRL having been involved with at least one other person. It is possible they were alive but whatever may have supported that notion is most likely lost. And if so, it may explain some of the inconsistencies in these cases of pairs of missing girls. Why capture two victims in every case? It doesnt make sense if you’re one person.

Diane Olson has no Charley Project or NamUs record i can find. Does one exist and im just not finding it?
No, I looked for one as well when I came across the thread. Maybe she was found or maybe she wasn’t entered into any database

“Valentine Sally” found deceased off the side of Interstate 40 near Williams, AZ on 2/14/1982 was identified as Carolyn Eaton of St.Louis Missouri on 2/22/2021. She had run away from home around Christmas 1981.

Per the last confirmed person to see Carolyn alive, she was seen with a man wearing a cowboy hat with a peacock feather in his hat.

After almost 40 years, St. Louis Co. teen runaway identified as Arizona cold case victim

Royal russell long:

Proven victims:

-Cinda Leanne Pallett(09/26/1981)

-Charlotte June Kinsey(09/26/1981)

-Sharon Baldeagle(09/18/1984)

-unnamed friend of Sharon
——————————————————————
Presumed victims:

-Carlene brown(07/04/1974)

-Christy Gross(07/04/1974) (11/09/1983)

-Deborah Rae Meyer(08/04/1974)

-Jayleen Dawn banker(08/23/1974) (08/29/1974)

-Fawn Abell(07/25/1985)

-Rozlin Abell(07/25/1985)
——————————————————————
Possible:

-Lynette Dawn Culvert(05/06/1975)

-Tina Anderson(07/22/1978)(1981)

-Patrica Campbell(07/22/1978)(1981)(2007)

-Oneida County Jane Doe(10/26/1986) this Jane doe is being tested against Carlene brown

I believe Ted Bundy confessed to the murder of Lynn Culver.

There was a SK in the WY/OK areas in the 1970s and 1980s named Royal Russell Long. He was tied to several disappearances and deaths, some of which were from carnivals or similar events. There is surprisingly very little information about him available.

Known victims

Sharon Baldeagle, 12, hitchhiker, Wyoming, September 19 1984

Charlotte Kinsey, 13, Oklahoma State Fair 1981

Cinda Pallett, 13, Oklahoma State Fair 1981

Presumed victims

Carlene Brown, 19, Rawlins WY Rodeo, July 4 1974

Christy Gross, 19, Rawlins WY Rodeo, July 4 1974

Deborah Meyer, 14, Rawlins WY, August 4 1974 (same town as the rodeo)

Jayleen Dawn Banker, 10, Rawlins WY, August 23 1974

Survivors

Unnamed friend of Sharon Baldeagle, 16, hitchhiker, Wyoming, September 19 1984

Two male friends of Charlotte and Cinda

Long was arrested in Albuquerque a week after Baldeagle's disappearance. He went to prison for her disappearance.

Long was charged with the murders of Charlotte and Cinda but the case was dismissed due to "lack of evidence". Technically I guess they would be considered presumed victims, but I think it was a miscarriage of justice that this case was thrown out by the judge. It's pretty clear he was the killer.

His victims usually were in pairs, however he did have single victims. His victims had a fairly wide age range of 10-19 and did not prefer specific features (victims have been both Caucasian with varying hair and eye color, as well as one native American victim). Thus, he was more of an opportunistic SK with a vague preference of young females.

According to Charley Project:

"Long lived in the Rawlins area in 1974 and worked at local fairs and carnivals. He died in prison in 1993 and was never convicted in connection with any missing people besides Sharon. "

"Royal Russell Long...was employed as carnie and part-time long-haul truck driver [in 1981]."

"Long was apprehended in 1985 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sharon wasn't with him and he said he did not know her whereabouts. He said he drove her to Cheyenne, Wyoming and put her on a bus or truck bound for Dallas, Texas and this was the last time he ever saw her. Prosecutors considered charging Long with Sharon's murder, but they decided against it, and Sharon's father stated he believed his daughter was alive. Long pleaded guilty to two counts of kidnapping for the purpose of committing indecent liberties with a minor and was sentenced to two life terms in prison."

"[Long's] own daughter claimed he had molested her for years and witnessed him try to lure other girls with puppies or stuffed animals." Note: stuffed animals were found in his car when arrested in NM. He lured Cinda, Charlotte and two boys with stuffed animals by "hiring" them to unload a truck of stuffed animals for the carnival.

He held two traveling jobs - with a traveling carnival and as a long-haul trucker. Considering the sheer number of known and presumed victims, plus the fact he traveled, it is almost guaranteed there are other victims that have yet to be tied to him.

Are the following possible victims?

Diane Olson, 16, July 1963, Pinedale WY

Sandy Rea, 17, September 19 1984, Oklahoma

Patricia Lynn Taylor, 14?, August 31 1981, Oklahoma

I have often wondered if anyone has considered him a possible suspect in Barb Cotton's disappearance from Williston in 1981.

I have often wondered if anyone has considered him a possible suspect in Barb Cotton's disappearance from Williston in 1981.

Her Charley Project page says a former boyfriend was considered a prime suspect. Long was awfully mobile, but I'm pretty sure a connection between him and Barb Cotton would be quite a long shot (no pun intended).

Not impossible, though. Anyone know how to track the whereabouts of a carnie/long haul trucker? I'm sure there are ways, but they're far beyond my capabilities.

Her Charley Project page says a former boyfriend was considered a prime suspect. Long was awfully mobile, but I'm pretty sure a connection between him and Barb Cotton would be quite a long shot (no pun intended).

Not impossible, though. Anyone know how to track the whereabouts of a carnie/long haul trucker? I'm sure there are ways, but they're far beyond my capabilities.

Unfortunately the "boyfriend" was never questioned. He didn't drive. He was a drifter and hitchhiked everywhere. Killed himself in the Malta Montana jail 3 months later however, he was a paranoid schizophrenic.

After 40 years.... Feel like I've gotta branch out a bit.

Unfortunately the "boyfriend" was never questioned. He didn't drive. He was a drifter and hitchhiked everywhere. Killed himself in the Malta Montana jail 3 months later however, he was a paranoid schizophrenic.

After 40 years.... Feel like I've gotta branch out a bit.

I'm sorry you've been carrying this for so long. I hope you're able to find some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back