IL IL - Caleb Witty, 17, Decatur, 4 Aug 2011

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
attachment.php

Source - https://www.facebook.com/In-Loving-Memory-Of-Caleb-Witty-191771877552706/

Walker said two men tried to rob Witty and his 14-year-old sister at gunpoint in the 2200 block of East Johns Avenue while they were on their way back from the Decatur Celebration carnival. Walker said they were approached by two black males who demanded their money. One of them showed off a black handgun. Walker said the victims didn't have any money to give them.

Witty stepped between his sister and the armed man, Walker said, and the suspect pistol-whipped him. As the 14-year-old began running toward her residence, which was nearby, she heard a gunshot.

http://herald-review.com/news/local...cle_289a4e59-12b8-5c8d-8334-89385fcc12a9.html

DECATUR — Caleb Witty, a 17-year-old senior, was one semester away from graduating from Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins, Colo.

He was in Decatur for a short visit when he went to the carnival with his 14-year-old sister on the opening night of Decatur Celebration.

Caleb, a 6-foot-4-inch, 230-pounder with a cheerful disposition, was planning to fly back home five days later.

http://herald-review.com/news/local...cle_91edf092-e9b2-11e1-81a2-001a4bcf887a.html

Two victims in separate unsolved murder cases have not been forgotten, Sherry Lewis and Caleb Witty. Police are offering a $10,000 from an anonymous donor for each case for information that leads to an arrest or formal charges.

The public only has until Aug. 31 to give police any information they may have about either the Lewis or Witty murder cases. Lieutenants from the Macon County Sheriff's Office and Decatur Police Department said that they hope that deadline will encourage people to come forward with information now, not later.

http://www.wandtv.com/story/22984766/10000-reward-offered-in-two-unsolved-murder-cases

[FONT=&amp]“They were just two guys, one heavier than the other,” Michaela said. They didn't say anything to each other as the two teens walked past the two men, apparently in their 20s. “Both were wearing black jeans and dark T-shirts. I didn't even pay attention to them. We just kept walking.”

[...]

[/FONT]
The robber pulled out a black handgun as Michaela faced him from a couple of feet away. Caleb took a step immediately in front of Michaela. The gunman hit Caleb in the back of the head with the gun, knocking his cap from his head. Michaela tried to catch it midair, but did not bend down to retrieve it when it hit the ground.

http://herald-review.com/news/local...cle_9abd0298-a087-5c58-84d7-0861fea66e91.html

Attachments

• caleb.jpg
    caleb.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 26
  • caleb 2.jpg
    caleb 2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 36
Hmmm... There is not much to go on but since the suspects were also walking the police or sleuth could look at the apartment buildings and houses for rent in the area at that time. You could focus on demographic - which may sound weird at first. Keep in mind that many people choose to self-segregate or live near like-minded people. I moved to an neighborhood with career oriented (married to the job) like-minded people and we take turns watching each other's houses. I have also driven around an apartment building and struck up conversations with people to see what living there is like. I don't know what the people are like in the neighborhood but you can get an idea of where people are going. Friends and myself have also taken down license plates of unknown cars, trucks, etc. if we don't know who it belongs to. Perhaps someone in the area did the same thing? I don't know what is considered normal neighborly behavior because I've moved and find it can literally vary from one part of town to the next.

I've gone to a web app that will let you explore an area and I saw an apartment building. Maybe they have cameras? It was located on a corner on East Johns Avenue and 22nd. There's also a place called the Flashback Lounge. Could they perhaps have any video at all? The area is residential and from what I would think is that they were walking to someone's home, saw an opportunity and took it.

I'm not sure where this carnival was physically held but you have two possible areas to check if they weren't already. Most people who rent keep their records for years depending on landlord laws in the state and for insurance purposes. I hope this helps them get more information. He was just doing what big brothers do and there was no need to kill the young guy. I hope the family gets some closure.

Search for Caleb Witty's killer continues 6 years later

An arrest has not been made in the case. However, police continue to investigate the case and follow leads. A gun linked to the case was recovered by the Macon County Deputies and a composite sketch was released.

$100,000 reward offered for tips on unsolved Decatur murders

The Macon County Sheriff's Office is offering up to a $100,000 reward for information the unsolved murders of Sherry Lewis, Caleb Witty and Timothy Norris.

The release said the reward will only be considered for tips received during the Decatur Celebration weekend. The deadline is midnight Sunday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back