Giant Truffle

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A truffle weighing 1.2kg (2.6lb) has sold for 95,000 euros ($112,000; £64,000) at an international charity auction in Italy.

_41014890_truffle203ap.jpg

An anonymous buyer - reportedly from Hong Kong - purchased the white truffle via satellite link-up.

A white truffle is a very rare type of mushroom that grows underground.

A 850g (1.9lb) white truffle bought for £28,000 ($50,000; 42,000 euros) last year was then said to be the world's most expensive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4434168.stm

I was hoping it was a chocolate truffle.

That one looks like you could go into any dog-owners back yard and pick it up.

Crazy price for it though, pook, so many starving people in the world and yet people can pay big bucks for a mushroom (and it's not even magic :angel: )

Casshew said:
Crazy price for it though, pook, so many starving people in the world and yet people can pay big bucks for a mushroom (and it's not even magic :angel: )
Well it turned into lots of money . . . . . so mabe it was magic after all.

I wonder how long they last? I hope they put it in a good quality tupperware :waitasec:

A few weeks ago I saw a segment on truffle-hunting. There actually is a Truffle Hunting Academy For Dogs, that looks much like any other Princeton, Harvard, or Yale, except it really is where they train the top truffle hunting dogs. I guess they do take their sport/livelihood very seriously there???

Casshew said:
That must be a way that the wealthy gauge how really wealthy they are; to be able to have some rare white truffle shaved into very thin slices on top of a portion of your meal, without even blinking an eye at the astronomical cost.

They are probably going to have huge Truffle Gala event and charge $1000.00 a plate - have 300 guests and triple++ their $$$

The only other food that is more expensive that white truffles is the real cavier.

White truffles is the second most expensive......

Truffle hunting dogs are so "coveted" as they take years to perfect their craft, they are sometimes kidnapped and held for ramsom...........

I looked online and I saw prices of 175.00 per Ounce, no wonder it is soooo expensive.

Heck, granny told me those were fairy farts!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back