GUILTY LA - Katie Wilkerson, 19, found slain in West Pearl River, 14 Nov 2005

2sisters

Reaction score
The body of a young woman who had been bound and gagged was found Monday morning in the Pearl River in St. Tammany Parish, near the Mississippi border, authorities said.
A truck driver discovered the partially clothed body about 9 a.m. at a makeshift boat launch next to the Interstate 59 bridge about 12 miles north of Slidell, said investigators, who estimated the victim was 16 to 22 years old. She has not been identified.
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113204017927870.xml

I found this to be a little disturbing, it reminded me of the sex driven serial killer type of crime.

Scary.

Do we have threads for missing women in this area?

Body found in river still unidentified

Police seek help in homicide case
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 By Paul Rioux
St. Tammany bureau
She had an obvious affection for butterflies, as revealed by the necklace, bracelet and earrings she wore featuring the colorfully winged insects.

She was in her late teens, with shoulder-length strawberry blonde hair and perfect teeth.

spacer.gif

A couple of body piercings and a homemade tattoo on her leg suggest a rebellious side.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1132124299309620.xml

This is why they need a national registry for the missing!

Pook said:
This is why they need a national registry for the missing!
I find it interesting that a young woman bound in duct tape, with a plastic bag on her head and a weight around her neck, with red hair, about 5'3" and 120-130 lbs and notably perfect teeth -- just like this young woman found in St. Tammany Parish, but in the Pearl River -- was pulled from Lake Ponchartrain in 1986.

It is a little weird that two women with such similar descriptions would end up dead in bodies of water in the same Parish in LA, even though the murders were nearly 20 years apart. The appearance -- nice teeth, the height and weight, red hair -- is so similar in verbal description that I couldn't help but make note of it.

Steve/Mr. A

I hope it isn't another serial killer! So many women have gone missing over the years in the area (south Louisiana). I believe they only caught the last two killers because of DNA and they were under extreme pressure to make an arrest.

Her family/friends probably haven't reported her missing yet...

http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2005/11/19/news/04suspect.txt

Suspect Named in girls death

From Staff Reports/MS
Saturday, November 19, 2005 6:45 PM CST

Eric J. Buras, 27, of 8870 Irvington, Bayou La Batre Ala. 19, Irvington, Ala., was arrested Thursday morning in conjunction with the death of Katie Wilkerson, 19, of Bayou LaBatre, Ala.

Buras was an acquaintance of Wilkerson's and has been charged with first degree murder. The two were reportedly heading to Slidell but Wilkerson never made her destination...

Wilkerson was identified when her father, a commercial fisherman, saw a news report while watching TV via satellite on his shrimp boat, said Mark Lombard, Chief Investigator for the Coroner's Office in St. Tammany Parish. He called his wife to tell her the description matched that of their daughter who had been missing for days. She was last seen by family in Bayou LaBatre on Sunday and never returned home.

He was supposed to be her friend! I wonder what happened...why? Glad that they got him right away.

That poor mom and dad. What a horrible way to find out about the death of their daughter. My heart goes out to the whole family.

Police seek help in homicide case
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 By Paul Rioux
St. Tammany bureau
She had an obvious affection for butterflies, as revealed by the necklace, bracelet and earrings she wore featuring the colorfully winged insects.

She was in her late teens, with shoulder-length strawberry blonde hair and perfect teeth.

A couple of body piercings and a homemade tattoo on her leg suggest a rebellious side.

Still trying to identify the body of a young woman found bound and gagged Monday in the Pearl River in northeastern St. Tammany Parish, authorities released new details about her appearance Tuesday.

"A good percentage of our chance of solving this murder depends on identifying this young woman as soon as possible," Sheriff Jack Strain said Tuesday afternoon.

The body was found Monday morning in the river at a makeshift boat launch next to the Interstate 59 bridge near the Mississippi border.

Detectives entered the woman's description into national databases for missing persons but found no potential matches, Strain said. Her fingerprints also turned up no matches, suggesting that she did not have a criminal record, he said.

"We're checking with school systems throughout the region about missing students, but this is all probably going to hinge on a tip from the public," he said. <snip>

The body, with duct tape binding the wrists and covering the mouth, was in shallow water about six feet from the Louisiana bank.

The young woman was wearing panties and a white sweatshirt with the words "South Pole" on the front. The rest of her clothing was found nearby, authorities said.

"There is no preliminary evidence of sexual assault or rape, but additional tests are pending to determine if there was sexual contact," Strain said.

Strain declined to disclose how she died, saying he wanted to withhold some information that only the killer would know.

"I can tell you that she fought her attacker," he said. "It was a real brutal situation."

He said the woman was 16 to 19 years old, about 5 feet 3 inches tall and 130 pounds. She had piercings in her tongue and belly button and had a crude tattoo on her left calf with a flower and the name "Katie" written in script.
more at the link http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1132124299309620.xml

Body found under overpass identified as Ala. woman, 19

By BOB ANDERSON
banderson@theadvocate.com

Florida parishes bureau

COVINGTON -- The St. Tammany Parish Coroner's Office identified the body of a woman found bound and gagged under an overpass as that of a 19-year-old reported missing by her family, authorities said Wednesday.

Katie Wilkerson, 19, of Bayou LaBatre, Ala., died of "asphyxia due to strangulation and drowning," Dr. Peter Galvan, the parish coroner, reported Wednesday afternoon. He ruled the case a homicide.

The partially clad body of the woman was found floating at the edge of the Pearl River.

Investigators said they could find no identification in the vicinity of the body, discovered Monday. Based on a description sent to other states, the body was matched to that of a young woman reported missing in Alabama, said Mark Lombard, the chief forensic investigator with the coroner's office. http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/111705/sub_alawom001.shtml

So how did a girl from Ala. end up in La, in the river?

You know I heard recently that a trucker doing long hauls has been suspected in the deaths of some the women found in the Cin. area. Supposedly it is suspected that their bodies were refrigerated after death. Something about the bodies shows evidence of that. This is rumor, and supposedly the LE community is keeping it quiet.

From September 2009:

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/09/irvington_killer_who_left_19-y.html

An Irvington man who left the body of a Bayou La Batre teenager floating in a Louisiana river in November 2005 will spend the rest of his life in prison, without parole.

That mandatory punishment will be handed down on Oct. 26 in the wake of Eric Joseph Buras' guilty plea to second-degree murder in St. Tammany Parish...

In 2002, a Louisiana jury acquitted Eric Buras of second-degree murder in the case of a 20-year-old waitress, found dead in a burned-out truck in Plaquemines Parish.

So this isn't the first time he's done this...wow! I guess I can't really say that with 100% certainty considering the first jury acquitted him. Katie was found barely 20 minutes from my house and I'm just now hearing about this. I grew up here too so it's not like I've recently moved here. This is crazy. Thanks for posting OkieGranny!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back