GUILTY LA - Ex-NFL player Joe McKnight, 28, killed in road rage incident, Jefferson Parrish, 1 Dec 2016

drjones

Former Member
Reaction score
Shooter Ronald Gasser, 54, released without being charged, Sheriff says investigation is continuing but they could not charge or hold the shooter based on the information they hae at this point.

Stories of witnesses and police contradict each other. What appears to be known so far is that McKnight approached Gasser's car on the passenger side and Gasser began firing while inside the vehicle, McKnight appears to have been unarmed.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/ronald_gasser_suspect_in_joe_m.html

[FONT=&quot]"Ronald Gasser, the man authorities say shot and killed former NFL player Joe McKnight, was released from custody overnight without being charged, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office authorities said Friday morning (Dec. 2).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gasser, 54, has not been formally charged, said JPSO spokesman Col. John Fortunato. Investigators are consulting with the district attorney's office on the decision whether to formally charge Gasser, Fortunato said."[/FONT]

from the above article;

"[FONT=&quot]A witness, who declined to give her name, said she saw a man at the intersection yelling at McKnight, who was trying to apologize. The man shot McKnight more than once, the witness said. She said he shot McKnight, stood over him and said, "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then the man fired again, she said. "

The Sheriff in a news conference has said that they believe 3 shots were all fired by Gasser while still inside the car.
[/FONT]

if the facts remain similar to what we know at this point it will simply come down to state law, i feel pretty confident that if this happened in my state there is zero chance the shooter is released without charges.

looks like LA state law favors the shooter here;

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/la-stand-your-ground-law-gives-someone-in-their-car-lots-of-leeway-to-use-force/362103224

"A homicide is justifiable:(4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.

"If you look at the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law in Louisiana, if I’m in my vehicle, it’s just like me being in my house," explained WWL-TV legal analyst Donald 'Chick' Foret. "Let’s say, perhaps, hypothetically, that Joe McKnight was trying to get into my car, and I thought that it was reasonable for me to use deadly force to keep him out of my car, I can use deadly force, that’s the justifiable homicide.""

so if McKnight's fingerprints are on the door handle then i suppose this will be considered justified.

edit - i also just read that the window was down, that is another factor that will favor the shooter.

this is bullcrap. he got out and STOOD OVER HIM AND SHOT HIM AGAIN. FFS. and an autopsy should demonstrate that too. this is repulsive.

mine either. and in LA its his word against a dead man who cant speak. I hope more ppl come forward before cronyism comes into play. there is no reason to die for being a large black man.

if the facts remain similar to what we know at this point it will simply come down to state law, i feel pretty confident that if this happened in my state there is zero chance the shooter is released without charges.

Am going to recuse myself from this thread.
I do not care for the way I responded to this case ...without taking time to read more information concerning these tragic events.

Apologies for jumping to conclusions ; I'll wait to see here at WS to see how it plays out.
Sometimes it's hard to read most msm news sites or watch it on t.v. since not all of the facts are given out and people think they know "exactly what happened".
:moo:

RIP to McNight and condolences to his family -- however these events unfolded and went so wrong ! :(

this is bullcrap. he got out and STOOD OVER HIM AND SHOT HIM AGAIN. FFS. and an autopsy should demonstrate that too. this is repulsive.

the Sheriff believes he has proof that all the shots were fired from inside the car, i do not know that he is right but that is what he has stated.

liet kynes - do you have a link to MSM describing multiple "credible" witnesses saying he stood over him and fired 3 times? i havent seen that yet, but i have only looked at a handful of articles, thanks.

The bullet cartridges were all inside of the car. If the shooter had picked them all up and placed them back in the car, I think the witnesses would have said that. So that would indicate he was shooting from inside of the car

I have a hard time believing witnesses these days, cops or civilians, because so many have been shown to be lying, after the fact.

I don't think this will end up being a credible witness.

liet kynes - do you have a link to MSM describing multiple "credible" witnesses saying he stood over him and fired 3 times? i havent seen that yet, but i have only looked at a handful of articles, thanks.

RSBM

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/02/man-a...layer-joe-mcknight-released-from-custody.html
WVUE reported that multiple witnesses saw a man in an Infiniti sedan pulled McKnight, 28, from his Audi and shot him more than once after an argument.

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-nfl-running-back-joe-mcknight-shot-killed-new-orleans-n690961
A sheriff's spokesman told NBC News that the shooting stemmed from a "road rage" confrontation but could provide no further details.

My .02 would be that however this happened-- and even IF Gasser felt threatened and fired his weapon precipitately ... le will be under enormous pressure to charge him with something.

thanx liet kynes.

i thought i included this in my first posts but it looks like i did not, sorry;

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/ronald_gasser_joe_mcknight_sho.html

[FONT=&quot]Evidence and autopsy results show that Ronald Gasser, the man authorities say admitted to fatally shooting Joe McKnight, did not fire on the former NFL player while standing over him, Jefferson Parish authorities said.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cvitanovich said one of the three bullets that struck McKnight, 28, entered his chest and traveled through his liver and kidney before exiting out his right lower back. Another bullet struck McKnight in his right shoulder and punctured his lung. The third bullet hit McKnight in his left hand.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Normand said three shell casings were found in Gasser's vehicle. Gasser, 54, was sitting in the driver's seat of his blue Infiniti when he fired three times at McKnight, who authorities said was out of his Audi Q7 and "positioned at the passenger window of the Infiniti."[/FONT]

RSBM

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/02/man-a...layer-joe-mcknight-released-from-custody.html
WVUE reported that multiple witnesses saw a man in an Infiniti sedan pulled McKnight, 28, from his Audi and shot him more than once after an argument.

My guess is that the shooter is a large, strong man--or in some sort of rage ; or both.
Why did he feel the need to yank McNight out of his vehicle ?

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-nfl-running-back-joe-mcknight-shot-killed-new-orleans-n690961
A sheriff's spokesman told NBC News that the shooting stemmed from a "road rage" confrontation but could provide no further details.

I'm assuming that after Gasser pulled McNight out of his car... there was probably a fistfight, or both were throwing punches while rolling around on the ground.
Then shots were fired ?

Look at the pictures of the shooter. He is a skinny older white man. I really doubt he went to McKnights car and 'pulled him out' of the front seat. McKnight is a professional football player. No way some old skinny man was going to be able to grab him and pull him out of his car. jmo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/s...jets-player-is-freed-without-charge.html?_r=0

Look at the pictures of the shooter. He is a skinny older white man. I really doubt he went to McKnights car and 'pulled him out' of the front seat. McKnight is a professional football player. No way some old skinny man was going to be able to grab him and pull him out of his car. jmo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/s...jets-player-is-freed-without-charge.html?_r=0

His (shooter's) sister is quoted in the article referring to him as a "gentle giant." So skinny and small doesn't fit him.

I can imagine scenarios that could lead to any combination of legally justifiable or not, and morally/ethically right or not.

A simple scenario that is actually quite possibly what happened;

McKnight approached the car, the window was down, the two exchanged words and McKnight made a motion as if he was going to assault the driver (or did assault him) or he put his hand on the car in a way that could be construed as trying to open the door (or did try to open the door) and the shooter feared either that entry into the car was imminent, or that he was in danger of great bodily harm, or that he was going to be killed and so he fired.

In those facts were proven then in LA that would be legally justified self-defense. I personally would have a lot of problems with it, but it would be justified. In other states it would not be justified.

edit - the reason I would have problems with it would be that I cannot imagine not trying to drive away, not trying to secure the car first, shooting 3 times, or shooting before I have a scratch on me, but facts could come out that might explain why those things did not happen.

Same here, seems something is missing. I have that witnesses don't seem to be truthful. Jmo
Am going to recuse myself from this thread.
I do not care for the way I responded to this case ...without taking time to read more information concerning these tragic events.

Apologies for jumping to conclusions ; I'll wait to see here at WS to see how it plays out.
Sometimes it's hard to read most msm news sites or watch it on t.v. since not all of the facts are given out and people think they know "exactly what happened".

RIP to McNight and condolences to his family -- however these events unfolded and went so wrong ! :(

This is so revolting, There are no words . And to see people justify the killing is even more horrendous. Merry Christmas.

This is so revolting, There are no words . And to see people justify the killing is even more horrendous. Merry Christmas.

You aren't alone in this thinking.

It's not ok to kill someone because you're angry, and I don't like stand your ground laws. He could have left the scene, he was in a capable vehicle. Lock your doors and leave the scene. If McKnight had then pulled a gun out, ok fine. But he didn't. The man fired from inside a vehicle at an unarmed man he was angry at. Not justifiable, IMHO. I don't care what Louisiana's law is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back