www.charleyproject.org
Age 18 (at time of disappearance)
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5’2” to 5’4”
Weight:134 to 145 pounds
Sex: Female
Race: White/Asia

Scars and Marks: Norfleet has a scar on her throat near the center. She has a surgically corrected cleft palate; left, right, upper and lower fractures of jaws; and surgical plates with pins in the maxilla.

Details:

On June 20, 1993, Sarah Ann Norfleet was dropped off at her Bountiful, Utah, residence by her friends and was never seen or heard from again. With regard to her disappearance, none of her personal effects to include hygiene and clothing items were taken. Foul play is suspected in this missing person case.

I'm happy someone posted this recently. I had a dream about Sarah last night (I haven't had a dream with Sarah in it for a long time) so I popped online to see if there had been any developments. It looks like it's still in the cold case files and I suspect it's because no one is pushing for the resolution of her case.

Sarah was one of my best friends way back in '92/'93. We'd stopped hanging out regularly just a couple of months before she vanished.

Yes, I've given my information to the police. No, I don't think they've taken me seriously. Whomsoever is interested in this case, I'll give out some information about Sarah, who was a really good person.

First off, Sarah was really trusting and naive. She'd easily accept a ride from a stranger. It appeared she had no sense of danger when it came to people. My perception of Sarah is that she was eager to be accepted and liked attention. However, not in a narcissistic way. She said her home life wasn't good. Sarah was a really sensitive, caring person. She didn't hurt others. She tried to make sure no one was left behind or left out. I'd describe her as the peace maker in our group.

Second, Sarah didn't do drugs but she claimed she did ecstasy or LSD to look cool and gain acceptance from the group of friends we hung out with at the time. I think the most Sarah ever did was MAYBE smoke a joint, but I personally never saw her do it. I know that she didn't like drugs because it was something we had in common. I think we might have been the only two people in our group to avoid the drug scene.

Sarah also used to talk about belonging to a gang when she lived in Germany. She said that she witnessed a really horrific crime there (murder with a baseball bat or something) and she was concerned that one of the guys might come find her in the United States someday. I can't say I really believed the story, though.

Third, back to the Sarah not leaving people behind: She hung out with a guy name Rich. He was an older custodian who lived alone in the upstairs of a community church next door to her house. In '92/'93, I think he was in his 50s. Facial-wise, he didn't look very old but he had white hair. He was part Native American. He was actually a really nice, quiet man who was a father figure to our group of friends. Sarah was very close to him. Our other friends just took advantage of his generosity. He was a person of interest. However, the Rich I remember didn't have an angry bone in his body, at least not in front of us. He also never tried anything creepy or sexual. He just let us hang out inside the church when we didn't want to go home. Of course, you never really know a person. He could have had some hidden issues. Regardless, he may have been the last person to see Sarah. She'd often go next door to the church when she'd get home late because her parents would get very, very upset when she'd sneak in the house after hours.

Which brings me to item #4 - her home life. She didn't get along with her parents. Her father was in the military. Her family was from Korea. Sarah and her parents would get in fights that were so loud, we could hear them from the sidewalk. I remember one time, someone stepped out the door and threw Sarah's shoes at her head when I was sitting outside on the lawn. When I'd call the house to talk to Sarah, the minute I'd ask, "Is Sarah home?", Sarah's father would simply hang up on me.

I was always bothered that it took Sarah's parents so long to report her missing. Sarah lived there. She occasionally stayed with friends for a couple of weeks, but I don't recall her ever "moving out." She was rarely gone from home more than a week at a time because she'd get worried about her younger sisters. When Sarah was gone for more than a week, my mom would usually get a call from Sarah's mom or sister.

Also, Sarah rarely remembered her (parents') home phone number. She'd either call me or our friend, Jessica, if she had to call home because she'd memorized our numbers but not her own home phone number.

I wasn't with Sarah the night she disappeared. Our friends, Cassie and Jessica, were. What I was told was that they went to a party and Jessica's dad picked them up. He dropped Sarah off at her house really, really late (I think it was 1am or 3am).

Knowing the Sarah I knew, odds are that she either went inside her house and got in the argument of a lifetime with her parents //or// she avoided going inside the house and went next door to the church to hang out with Rich until it was safe to go home.

As I stated previously, Sarah rarely remembered her home phone number. She disappeared in June. However, in early July, I got a message from "Sarah" saying she was in California and she'd call me back.

She was the only Sarah I knew. I didn't know she was missing at the time. I thought she might have traveled to California with our friend, Russell. However, if she went with Russell, odds are he would've jumped on the phone and left me some obnoxious message so I was really racking my brains to figure out why she was in California.

Again, Sarah was trusting. She could've hopped a ride with anyone IF that's where she really went. I can't say for sure if it was really Sarah who called or someone pretending to be Sarah to throw police off the trail.

Like I said, Sarah was a good person. She wasn't like the other jerks I hung around with back in those days. She just wanted acceptance. She was really insecure about the scar from her surgery (she had a cleft pallet) and she used to wear a silver necklace all the time. I think it had a silver cross on it. Hopefully, there's a curious person out there who can help solve this.

I'm happy someone posted this recently. I had a dream about Sarah last night (I haven't had a dream with Sarah in it for a long time) so I popped online to see if there had been any developments. It looks like it's still in the cold case files and I suspect it's because no one is pushing for the resolution of her case.

Sarah was one of my best friends way back in '92/'93. We'd stopped hanging out regularly just a couple of months before she vanished.

Yes, I've given my information to the police. No, I don't think they've taken me seriously. Whomsoever is interested in this case, I'll give out some information about Sarah, who was a really good person.

First off, Sarah was really trusting and naive. She'd easily accept a ride from a stranger. It appeared she had no sense of danger when it came to people. My perception of Sarah is that she was eager to be accepted and liked attention. However, not in a narcissistic way. She said her home life wasn't good. Sarah was a really sensitive, caring person. She didn't hurt others. She tried to make sure no one was left behind or left out. I'd describe her as the peace maker in our group.

Second, Sarah didn't do drugs but she claimed she did ecstasy or LSD to look cool and gain acceptance from the group of friends we hung out with at the time. I think the most Sarah ever did was MAYBE smoke a joint, but I personally never saw her do it. I know that she didn't like drugs because it was something we had in common. I think we might have been the only two people in our group to avoid the drug scene.

Sarah also used to talk about belonging to a gang when she lived in Germany. She said that she witnessed a really horrific crime there (murder with a baseball bat or something) and she was concerned that one of the guys might come find her in the United States someday. I can't say I really believed the story, though.

Third, back to the Sarah not leaving people behind: She hung out with a guy name Rich. He was an older custodian who lived alone in the upstairs of a community church next door to her house. In '92/'93, I think he was in his 50s. Facial-wise, he didn't look very old but he had white hair. He was part Native American. He was actually a really nice, quiet man who was a father figure to our group of friends. Sarah was very close to him. Our other friends just took advantage of his generosity. He was a person of interest. However, the Rich I remember didn't have an angry bone in his body, at least not in front of us. He also never tried anything creepy or sexual. He just let us hang out inside the church when we didn't want to go home. Of course, you never really know a person. He could have had some hidden issues. Regardless, he may have been the last person to see Sarah. She'd often go next door to the church when she'd get home late because her parents would get very, very upset when she'd sneak in the house after hours.

Which brings me to item #4 - her home life. She didn't get along with her parents. Her father was in the military. Her family was from Korea. Sarah and her parents would get in fights that were so loud, we could hear them from the sidewalk. I remember one time, someone stepped out the door and threw Sarah's shoes at her head when I was sitting outside on the lawn. When I'd call the house to talk to Sarah, the minute I'd ask, "Is Sarah home?", Sarah's father would simply hang up on me.

I was always bothered that it took Sarah's parents so long to report her missing. Sarah lived there. She occasionally stayed with friends for a couple of weeks, but I don't recall her ever "moving out." She was rarely gone from home more than a week at a time because she'd get worried about her younger sisters. When Sarah was gone for more than a week, my mom would usually get a call from Sarah's mom or sister.

Also, Sarah rarely remembered her (parents') home phone number. She'd either call me or our friend, Jessica, if she had to call home because she'd memorized our numbers but not her own home phone number.

I wasn't with Sarah the night she disappeared. Our friends, Cassie and Jessica, were. What I was told was that they went to a party and Jessica's dad picked them up. He dropped Sarah off at her house really, really late (I think it was 1am or 3am).

Knowing the Sarah I knew, odds are that she either went inside her house and got in the argument of a lifetime with her parents //or// she avoided going inside the house and went next door to the church to hang out with Rich until it was safe to go home.

As I stated previously, Sarah rarely remembered her home phone number. She disappeared in June. However, in early July, I got a message from "Sarah" saying she was in California and she'd call me back.

She was the only Sarah I knew. I didn't know she was missing at the time. I thought she might have traveled to California with our friend, Russell. However, if she went with Russell, odds are he would've jumped on the phone and left me some obnoxious message so I was really racking my brains to figure out why she was in California.

Again, Sarah was trusting. She could've hopped a ride with anyone IF that's where she really went. I can't say for sure if it was really Sarah who called or someone pretending to be Sarah to throw police off the trail.

Like I said, Sarah was a good person. She wasn't like the other jerks I hung around with back in those days. She just wanted acceptance. She was really insecure about the scar from her surgery (she had a cleft pallet) and she used to wear a silver necklace all the time. I think it had a silver cross on it. Hopefully, there's a curious person out there who can help solve this.

Would you be willing to discuss her more with me? I'm doing a podcast about her case and I'd like to have some info from someone who was close to her.

Photos of Sarah that I enhanced. I included the original image so that the difference between the two can be seen.

C034F8E5-88D7-4990-8EA6-86D7253747C8.jpeg 6DC1BA50-B025-4C39-83D0-211624234AE5.jpeg D8D93C89-5709-4BDE-9ADA-F8B810447F2D.jpeg 4AC63411-4204-431D-A9AF-5634FB55212F.jpeg

Sarah's NamUs case was just modified on 2/9/22

She currently has 15 rule outs.
P3384 11/17/1999 Los Angeles CA
UP914 05/02/1996 Bernalillo NM
06/17/2009
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP9978 10/13/2010 Pierce WA
UP9978 10/13/2010 Pierce WA
UP6303 01/26/1997 Warren VA
UP6665 05/14/2007 Petersburg VA
UP8489 11/03/1999 Clatsop OR
UP7713 06/09/1997 Washoe NV
UP5614 10/08/2000 Salt Lake UT
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP6150 11/07/1998 Stafford VA
UP8642 03/30/2011 Fulton GA

I really wonder what happened to her and why her parents took so long to report her missing? (maybe they had something to do with her disappearance since it's noted they didn't have a good relationship.)

Throwing out some possibilities:

January 8, 1994 - Brighton, Colorado - UP16011
Multi Female, 18-35, victim's remains were located in a field near 54th Ave and Marion Street. She may be white, Native American, or Hispanic. May have had brown frosted hair.
1681235208033.png1681235232405.png

Stature and PMI matches Sarah, but found far away (8 hr drive from Bountiful)

October 15, 1995 - Rural Clear Creek County, Colorado - UP70566
White Female, 17-36, skull was located near Echo Lake in rural Clear Creek County. Estimated PMI two years.
8 hr drive from Bountiful.
1681235467858.png1681235471165.png
PMI matches, not much information to go on though.

August 2, 1999 - Fox Park, Wyoming - UP9904
White Female, 28-58, size 16 jeans, 7.5 rebocks, one silver band with M.S.S. engraved one silver colored rope style ring with two (2) clear colored tear drop shaped stones
6 hr drive from Bountiful.
1681234784222.png1681234802952.png

Remains are estimated to be older then Sarah's so I don't love this match

August 1, 2009 - Jefferson County, ID - UP10593
Unsure/Uncertain, 16-50, just tibia found.
3 1/2 hours drive from Bountiful.

Remains are estimated to be a person who was 5'9", so again I don't love this match

9 Oct 1993, The Salt Lake Tribune, pg 13
1681239703908.png

22 Oct 1993, The Davis County Clipper, pg 1
1681239765066.png
1681239819848.png

23 October 1993, The Salt Lake City Tribune, pg 14
1681239875703.png

@aimeecleverly if you still happen to be on Websleuths, were your friends or Sarah aware of Rich's criminal history?

May be someone with a the same name, but there was a Sarah Norfleet who was living in Helena, Montana that gave birth in 2018. Not sure who the father is or if she was married, looks like it's not listed.

5 Feb 2018, The Independent-Record, pg A6
1681240237553.png

Missed this article

5 October 1993, The Davis County Clipper, pg 1 and 3
1681241876840.png
1681241922204.png

Larger photo
1681241988718.png

16 Unidentified Person Exclusions

1681243256565.jpeg
1681243293133-jpeg.414134

1681243345995.jpeg

Attachments

• 1681243293133.jpeg
    1681243293133.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 33
Throwing out some possibilities:

January 8, 1994 - Brighton, Colorado - UP16011
Multi Female, 18-35, victim's remains were located in a field near 54th Ave and Marion Street. She may be white, Native American, or Hispanic. May have had brown frosted hair.
View attachment 414092View attachment 414093

Stature and PMI matches Sarah, but found far away (8 hr drive from Bountiful)

October 15, 1995 - Rural Clear Creek County, Colorado - UP70566
White Female, 17-36, skull was located near Echo Lake in rural Clear Creek County. Estimated PMI two years.
8 hr drive from Bountiful.
View attachment 414095View attachment 414096
PMI matches, not much information to go on though.

August 2, 1999 - Fox Park, Wyoming - UP9904
White Female, 28-58, size 16 jeans, 7.5 rebocks, one silver band with M.S.S. engraved one silver colored rope style ring with two (2) clear colored tear drop shaped stones
6 hr drive from Bountiful.
View attachment 414090View attachment 414091

Remains are estimated to be older then Sarah's so I don't love this match

August 1, 2009 - Jefferson County, ID - UP10593
Unsure/Uncertain, 16-50, just tibia found.
3 1/2 hours drive from Bountiful.

Remains are estimated to be a person who was 5'9", so again I don't love this match

OMG That top one... has it been ruled out yet??? The composite looks a LOT like Sarah. The cheekbones... Sarah had very predominant cheekbones. Was it just the skull? Was it decomposed?
Sgt Biehler had reinvestigated at this case about a decade ago and Sarah's dental records were submitted. I just saw a story about a cold case where they had the victim's DNA that wasn't matching to a body they'd found; however, when they re-tested the DNA using familial DNA, they were able to match it after all.
------------
I got the message Sarah called me (back in '93) from my mother and sister. I never heard the voice of the person that called. Maybe they thought she said California because I already had friends there, but could she have actually said Colorado? This haunts me. I wish I would have been home to answer that stupid call.

Attachments

• Sarah.jpg
    Sarah.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 6
@heartanium
I still don't think Rich had anything to do with it. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but Rich had plenty of opportunities to take advantage of Sarah, myself, or any one of us and as far as I know, he never did. We spent many, many nights there.
Sadly, I can't even count the times I was propositioned at 15-years-old by the men we hung around. I think the first detective had tunnel-vision when it came to Rich, but there was a plethora of deviant men that attended those meetings. I feel a lot of time was wasted focusing solely on Rich.
Rich told us the first time he was fired; it was for alcohol related reasons and for arguing with someone in the church. I didn't know anything about his criminal history and I'm not sure if Sarah did, but she never said anything to me. Back then, I don't think either of us would have cared.
If I went with my first instinct, I still really deep in my gut feel Sarah got in a car with the wrong person.
The reports say Sarah left all her things at home. If her hairbrush and blow-dryer were among those items, she wasn't expecting to be gone long. She had to have her hairbrush and blow-dryer to help straighten her hair. We had run away from home several months earlier and she insisted on sneaking back inside her house to get her hairbrush and blow-dryer.
I wish I knew more about who she and Jessica met at the party they last went to together. I even question if that was the actual night she disappeared.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back