Woman sues Dunkin Donuts for 15Million

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Yep, hot coffee again

A Staten Island woman who was badly burned after spilling scalding hot coffee on her lap is suing Dunkin' Donuts for a cool $15 million. Sharon Shea, 60, suffered second- and third-degree burns after the cardboard tray she was holding in the passenger seat of a friend's car toppled and spilled over her left leg and ankles.

"I'm in so much pain - oh God! It's excruciating pain," said Shea from her bed in the intensive care burn unit of Staten Island University Hospital. "It's just excruciating pain that I wouldn't wish on anybody."

The coffee crisis happened Nov. 12 after Shea and a friend pulled out of a Forest Ave. Dunkin' Donuts drive-through and headed to a strip mall across the street. When the pal tried to park, lids on two cups came off, causing 200-degree java to spill and soak through her jeans, her lawyer said.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in Staten Island Supreme Court, Shea says the lids weren't fastened when employees passed the cups through a drive-through window around 1:30 p.m.

"I thought I was dying - that's how bad it was," said Shea, a mother of two who lives in Dongan Hills. "All my skin was pulled back like a nylon stocking a lady takes off."

Now, doctors said Shea - who has already spent six days at Staten Island University Hospital - may have to undergo a skin graft.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/366930p-312147c.html

That doesn't sound like your run of the mill hot coffee spill! Geeesh! 6 days in a burn unit and skin grafts...wow!

Doesn't sound like she's faking to me, sounds like a very very serious burn that will result in severe disfigurement for life.

Linda7NJ said:
Doesn't sound like she's faking to me, sounds like a very very serious burn that will result in severe disfigurement for life.
I don't think she is faking it.. but Hello... she is clumsy - thats not DD's fault

after the cardboard tray she was holding in the passenger seat of a friend's car toppled and spilled over her left leg and ankles.
15 million??? :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry for her injury, but 15 million!!!!!!!!!!

If we got paid for being clumsy - I'd be a billionaire :woohoo:

I usually side with the companies in these kind of things but if the coffee was really that hot, then her tongue and throat would have been severely burned had she gotten a chance to drink it, so therefore DD would be responsible, in my opinion of course :)

I wonder if they had a warning Caution: contents hot - on the cup? I know McDonalds does...

Casshew said:
I wonder if they had a warning Caution: contents hot - on the cup? I know McDonalds does...

You order a coffee, if it's not hot - but yet need a warning that says Caution, contents hot??????

poco said:
You order a coffee, if it's not hot - but yet need a warning that says Caution, contents hot??????
Yep, to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits

Casshew said:
Yep, to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits
The cardboard thing that I put on my windshield to block the sun has a warning on it "Remove before driving."

Geez...People are idiots and want something for nothing. Has anyone ever heard of personal responsibility??

Casshew said:
Not when there is big money to be made!!! :rolleyes:

I hope that DD doesn't settle out of court with her. I don't think that she should be rewarded for her carelessness.

P.S. I hope that we are allowed to log on from other computers. I am using my mother's computer in Maryland. :)

nanandjim said:
P.S. I hope that we are allowed to log on from other computers. I am using my mother's computer in Maryland. :)
of course! I use my work, home, laptop whatever :)

Is your Mom cooking for you?

This is why it takes so long for people who truly deserve compensation for faulty products etc.to get their case heard and to collect if they win. This is a frivilous lawsuit, if you ask me. People just don't want to admit they do anything wrong anymore. It's always the other guys fault.

Coffee is supposed to be hot. :banghead:

How many times have you gotten coffee and it was too hot and you had to wait a few minutes or add ice to drink it?

I hope they throw this thing out of court.

Whatever,
fran

If she wins the lawsuit OR if they settle with her, either way it will be all of US that the cost eventually gets passed on to. :sick:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back