NC NC - Sarah McAbee, 76, Gastonia, 19 Dec 1997

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20161218/unsolved-homicides-two-trials-two-hung-juries

A hoarder, the 76-year-old woman didn't trust banks. She'd sew thousands of dollars into her clothing. After she disappeared, family members found $16,000 hidden in a laundry basket and $9,000 more tucked away inside a purse...

Police finally located McAbee 10 months after her disappearance. Submerged in about 7 feet of water in an abandoned well near Tryon Elementary School between Cherryville and Bessemer City, police found an artificial Christmas tree on top of her body...

It didn't take police long to point the blame at Donald Baxter Wells, a felon who has been convicted of a crime in every decade since the 1980s... A pair of hung juries hasn't changed the way Nester views her grandmother's killing. She's convinced Wells is responsible, that he hit McAbee in the head from behind with a hammer and hid her in a well.

I remember when this happened but i thought Wells was convicted and serving time. Wow it would be hard knowing he's out walking while my elderly family wasn't

"Wells confessed to killing McAbee and taking a person to the well where McAbee was later found".

Who is the person he confessed to? He/she is an accomplice since he/she didn´t go to the police after Wells show him/her the well. Or did he/she thought Wells was lying?

Hello everyone. It’s been 25 years now since the murder of my grandma Sarah Mae McAbee from Gastonia Nc .I do wish she could get justice one day . Maybe someone could pick this case up and do a podcast ? It needs attention again . I contacted Vidoq Society but they say law enforcement has to be able no open and involved and our small police dept says case is a hung jury and there’s no new evidence to restart the case . Happy new year everyone-

Hello everyone. It’s been 25 years now since the murder of my grandma Sarah Mae McAbee from Gastonia Nc .I do wish she could get justice one day . Maybe someone could pick this case up and do a podcast ? It needs attention again . I contacted Vidoq Society but they say law enforcement has to be able no open and involved and our small police dept says case is a hung jury and there’s no new evidence to restart the case . Happy new year everyone-
Even after such a long time, I am sorry for your loss. I have only lived in the area for a little over a year and will only be here for another 6 months or so but I am willing to help with anything that I can.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back