Shelly Miscavige - Wife of David Miscavige

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
Michele Diane "Shelly" Miscavige (born January 18, 1961) is married to Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige. She has made no public appearances since August 2007.[2] However, missing persons reports filed by third parties were closed and classified as "unfounded" by the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) following detectives meeting her in person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Miscavige

After the wife of Scientology leader David Miscavige disappeared from public view, in 2007, those who asked questions were stonewalled, or worse. Now interviews with former insiders provide a grim picture of Shelly Miscavige’s youth, marriage, and fall from grace—and an assessment of her fate.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2014/03/shelly-miscavige-scientology-queen-de-throned

We've written about Shelly Miscavige in the past, about her strange disappearance, and about the equally mysterious death of her mother, Flo Barnett.
And now that the news media is crazy for any information about Scientology, it's only natural that it would become interested in Shelly. The Business Insider brought up the story on Tuesday, summarizing what Lawrence Wright had said about Shelly in his amazing 2011 profile of Paul Haggis for the New Yorker.http://www.villagevoice.com/news/sc...-disappeared-wife-shelly-what-we-know-6723334

She and David married in 1982, and four years later he became Chairman of the Board of the Religious Technology Center after the death of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...public-2007-reported-missing-Leah-Remini.html

The official word on "Where's Shelly?" is that she is holed up in a church compound in the mountains near Los Angeles, and has devoted herself to "preserving" L.Ron Hubbard's words and legacy for all posterity. Investigators confirmed a few years back that she was (at that time) alive and "well", and I think she actually went in public to a family funeral a few years ago with a minder, IIRC.

Shelly challenged David Miscavige. For that uppity transgression, she had to be taken down and "disappeared". But IMO, she's so brainwashed she probably thinks she deserves it.

At Tony Ortega's blog The Underground Bunker Within the past week Ortega published an article in which a local person who has long lived near the complex where Shelly is reported to be in residence contacted him and described twice seeing a disheveled-looking woman who she thinks is Shelly. She said the woman was very closely accompanied by two men each time she saw her. http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/15/cl...tted-near-scientology-compound-in-california/

It is an interesting article. Worth reading.

From Vanity Fair article":

"This cryptic explanation only fueled the mystery. Had Shelly fled the church? Was she in hiding? Some Scientology defectors believe she was exiled to one of several secretive and heavily guarded bases the church owns in remote western locales. There, the sources say, those who are banned endure lives of isolation, menial labor, and penury."

Sounds like North Korea

Can anyone confirm the LAPD actually saw and spoke with Shelley? It was my understanding that they accepted second hand information from members of Scientology and informants.That the police did not see to her welfare themselves in person before the charges were dismissed as unfounded. Being trapped and held captive in any way like that no matter what lead you to it with no hope of rescue seems so horrifying.

The official word on "Where's Shelly?" is that she is holed up in a church compound in the mountains near Los Angeles, and has devoted herself to "preserving" L.Ron Hubbard's words and legacy for all posterity. Investigators confirmed a few years back that she was (at that time) alive and "well", and I think she actually went in public to a family funeral a few years ago with a minder, IIRC.

Shelly challenged David Miscavige. For that uppity transgression, she had to be taken down and "disappeared". But IMO, she's so brainwashed she probably thinks she deserves it.

Welp.

Tom Cruise and Will Smith and John Travolta has mega dollars.

So if they were ever concerned about the first lady of the church; Then hopefully they made sure to talk to her personally at some point.

But imo. I hope their own wives are smart enough to see through this. Jmo

JMO
I have been thinking about why there is not more public concern and public outrage over the organization.

If even half of what we are reading about and seeing in the documentary is true then I am really surprised there is not more public outrage and more media jumping on board.

Ive been thinking about this and I think the answer to this is complex and its because of multiple reasons. Listing some of the reasons why this has for the most part been kept quiet about over the years.

1-Awareness.

I am betting there are still many people that have not learned about the organization. It seems to be somewhat of a secret society and the MSM has not pursued it much IMO. Probably still a lot of people that dont know much if anything about it. When I first learned of the organization I really thought it was a secret society club for the rich and famous only. I had no idea about it and I still dont know much about it.

2-Most people are not directly affected unless you know someone personally in the organization.

So human nature takes hold and it takes something else to get people excited enough to gain more interest.

Similar to when we hear of starving people in another country going through droubt and not everyone jumps on board to donate to help them.
It takes something major to help gain interest. Like when there is a national or international TV Telethon for a cause then people finally take notice and are willing to help. It gives them a jumpstart to care.
The documentary is a good jumpstart and some new people are taking notice.

3-The structure and policies of the organization is self controlling.

So that even when people are able to leave or "escape" then most probably are just thankful for themselves and are afraid to do much more than that. They maybe afraid of something bad happening to them or their families if they do anything while on the outside.

So the structure itself helps to control information that gets outside. Only those on the inside or who have been on the inside and are willing to speak out now about it. So investigative reporters dont have a lot to go on unless they can contact people like that.

4-Money.

Lots of it for the organization. So they are able to purchase ways to keep any negative publicity away from them. Money can only do so much but it is very effective. Especially if there is so much money they can even pay people to be quiet about certain things.

5-Celebrities are in the organization.

Human nature tells people that if a well known celebrity they enjoy seeing on the big screen or elsewhere is in the organization then it must be ok. People have a tendency to think thoughts like this "If so and so and so and so are in this org then it cant be all that bad or surely they would not be in it."

Also the VIPs probably are being treated very well so they of course may have no idea of some of the negatives.
There would need to be many more like the recent documentary to counter this.

6-Most likely there are a lot in the organization that feel they are being treated fine.

If they have not personally seen or have been involved with any of the negatives we have heard about then they probably see nothing wrong with the org. There are no hard and fast numbers of people that have experienced bad things so we dont know how widespread it is in the org. We dont know for sure if it is really commonplace that people are forced into a building and held there against their will as a form of punishment or re-education. It may just be a handful or it may be many more than that. We just dont know.
We do know there are many books and some recent ones that provide an insight into the organization.

7-Legal resources.

The org seems to have made use of the legal path to try to counter any attempts at bringing to light even just basic information.

8-the whole "church" angle

In the US specifically we have freedom of religion and so if the org is declared as a "church" in legal standing in the US then of course that brings with it a whole set of things that protects it.

And this is fine and they have a right to this standing so long as they do not break the law. This is where if the documentary and the books are telling the truth about things then it does seem like certain laws could have been broken and maybe are continuing to be broken. We have heard stories about holding people against their will and some of the intimidation tactics seem to go a little too far as far as what would be legal. Like stalking and harrassment laws may come into play with some of the tactics we have heard about. This is where LE would have to step up to the plate and do their own investigations to see if any laws are being broken. It would take a large LE investigative effort and unless something pushes LE to do that then it may not happen. Lots of LE departments struggle with funding and since it would be costly then there would need to be something that triggers LE to take on an effort like that.
Maybe on a federal level since it seems to be a worldwide organization.

So the bottom line is there are many reasons why there is not more public concern and public knowledge about some of the things stated in the documentary. The documentary has done a good job of helping to bring awareness to the subject.

The police have not personally seen Shelly Miscavige -- nor has anyone else who has been publicly interviewed.

All info about her is tightly controlled and claims she is alive and well are told by the cult members and police just believed it and there has been no legal demand to interview her directly. The cult's legal team stays a couple steps ahead at all times.

It would not surprise me to find out she has been dead for awhile--if the evil little Napoleon wanted his wife gone, she'd be gone, dead & buried or cremated.

As for why don't people care about $cientology -- most people don't care about things that don't impact them or someone they know directly. Or if they do think something is wrong, they shake their heads and move on. Tis the nature of the world (the "not my problem" mentality).

If Leah responded you may post a link to it. I also think Leah and Michael's thoughts on the whereabouts of Shelly was covered on the A&E episode where they answered some of the questions posed by the folks in the reddit AMA.

Someone did directly ask Leah about Shelly in the reddit AMA. I am unsure if I am allowed to post the link....
Yes, I recommend her AMA and her Twitter account. She has answered all of these questions..as far as her knowledge and caution let her..very interactive w posters on Twitter, especially day of and day after each new episode

Even if you don't do Twitter, you can read her posts. Just go to Twitter and put her in search.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back