ID - Michael Young for raping, impregnating stepdaughter, Nampa, 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A Nampa teenager who was sexually abused by her stepfather, had three children by him and married him last year is seeking a total of $6 million from city, county and state agencies, alleging that they failed to protect her, according to tort claims filed by the 18-year-old's attorney.

The teen's husband and former stepfather, 39-year-old Michael Jerome Young, pleaded guilty in August to two federal counts of interstate transportation of a minor for unlawful sexual activity. The former truck driver is serving 13 years in prison.

The victim, who declined to be interviewed, was 5 years old when Health and Welfare received its first report that Young might be abusing the girl, Edwards said. Local law enforcement agencies interacted with the family on several occasions in subsequent years, yet the abuse continued, the claims said. The girl had her first child at age 14 and two more children — all by C-section — when she was 15 and 17 years old, Edwards said. DNA tests have confirmed all three were fathered by Young, Edwards said.

Young confessed to the abuse in 2004, but Canyon County prosecutors didn't file charges for months, according to a tort claim. During that time, Young divorced his wife — the teen's mother — and married the teen, fathering a third child, the claim said. The teen's mother is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to a charge that she knew about the abuse and did not report it.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051121/NEWS01/511210306
This gets complicated. There is a complete timeline at the above link

mysteriew said:
A Nampa teenager who was sexually abused by her stepfather, had three children by him and married him last year is seeking a total of $6 million from city, county and state agencies, alleging that they failed to protect her, according to tort claims filed by the 18-year-old's attorney.

The teen's husband and former stepfather, 39-year-old Michael Jerome Young, pleaded guilty in August to two federal counts of interstate transportation of a minor for unlawful sexual activity. The former truck driver is serving 13 years in prison.

The victim, who declined to be interviewed, was 5 years old when Health and Welfare received its first report that Young might be abusing the girl, Edwards said. Local law enforcement agencies interacted with the family on several occasions in subsequent years, yet the abuse continued, the claims said. The girl had her first child at age 14 and two more children — all by C-section — when she was 15 and 17 years old, Edwards said. DNA tests have confirmed all three were fathered by Young, Edwards said.

Young confessed to the abuse in 2004, but Canyon County prosecutors didn't file charges for months, according to a tort claim. During that time, Young divorced his wife — the teen's mother — and married the teen, fathering a third child, the claim said. The teen's mother is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to a charge that she knew about the abuse and did not report it.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051121/NEWS01/511210306
This gets complicated. There is a complete timeline at the above link
For god's sakes, the state should take those children away from her. She's still married to her molester, intends to stay that way, and is living with the mother that knew about her sexual abuse since the age of 5! That's no household to raise up children in.

I know , this case is so confusing it's difficult to determine who is sicker in this case......geez

I can't believe how people find loop-holes to sue deep pockets. IMO, the kids should be taken away and the 18 yo and her mom should be in jail. I don't know what for, but this is really stupid. :doh:

JMHO
fran

I agree that something is fishy here. She has no plans of divorcing him and still chooses to live with her mother who knew about the abuse the whole time? I don't know who let her down more, the agencies or her biological parent. It doesn't sound like there is ground to remove the children from her, since she is not currently living with the molester, but if they move in together after he is released I think the state should definitely do something. As it is, I hope the appropriate agencies keep an eye on her household and come into speak to the children on a regular basis in order to make sure everything is on the up and up.

This one is certainly baffling. The age of consent in Idaho is 14, which is when she had her first child with him. I don't know how you'd prove she was having sex with him prior to that.

I think she really needs to be watched in her mothering. As sad as it is, she's whacked, and it needs to be clear her children aren't exposed to abusers.

I think the agencies should definitely be sued - something needs to wake them up so they start policing these cases properly! It's insane that she wasn't removed from that family long, long ago.

He needs a long, long jail sentence, as does the mother. The kid is obviously messed up, but it's the system that did the messing up. She should get a bunch of state funded therapy and help to try to make her into some kind of mother for these kids she shouldn't have had.

Beyond that - like another similar case, any mother who chooses to raise kids with a repeat child molester should have to choose between her kids and having the child molester in her life. That precedent is beginning to be set, hopefully it will continue.

I vote for giving her the money, taking the kids, and making her pay for her husband's incarceration. Mother, and step dad should be labeled as sex offenders and not allowed any contact with any child. The money should also be used to provide in house treatment for the victim. As long as it takes.

I am not big on giving out money in lawsuits, but in this case.......I don't know. Certainly she was let down all around by the very people who should have been protecting her.
Her stepfather begins molesting then raping her at the age of 5.
The mother knows and allows it to happen.
The state bungles investigation after investigation.
How was she to learn that what was happening was wrong?
Stepdad thought it was ok. Mom thought it was ok. And evidently even the state thought it was ok. (even after the state finally did determine that she had been raped, she wasn't removed from the home). After that many years, why would she think that backing her stepfather/husband was wrong, with so many people accepting it?
I am wondering if he ever touched his stepgrandchildren/children?
Mom and stepdad should both be given long sentences. And I believe that the state should be paying medical bills for her for as long as she lives!
I am not so much that her children should be taken away. Why should she be punished for the crimes her mother and stepdad committed?
But I do believe that if she ever develops a relationship with any male, that her children should be closely monitored!

Michael Jerome Young

Guilty Plea
Federal Custody
Sentence Date: 08/2005

Offense: Interstate Transportation of a Minor for Unlawful Sexual Activity
Sentence: 13 years Federal DOC/25 years Probation

Projected Release Date: 08/05/2016

Note: I read that the mother, Sandra McCurry, pled guilty to Misprision of a Felony. I have not been able to find any sentencing data on her. She was prosecuted federally, but is not in federal prison. I also checked state DOC just in case, but she's not there either.

More info. on this case coming up.

April 6, 1993: An acquaintance reports to Health and Welfare that a 5-year-old girl is possibly being sexually abused by her mother's live-in boyfriend and future husband, Michael Young.

Sept. 3, 1993: Health and Welfare closes the case after questioning Young and the girl's mother, who both denied the abuse.

March 23, 1997: Young reportedly pushes the victim's mother, slaps the victim and hits her sister on the head. Young is arrested on a charge of simple battery.

April 11, 1998: Nampa police officers are called to the Young residence again regarding domestic violence and child abuse. The victim and her mother report that Young had choked them. Heath and Welfare was not notified. Young is charged with three misdemeanors -domestic battery, resisting and obstructing, and battery on an officer.

Nov. 8, 2003: A maternal aunt reports to Health and Welfare that Young is the father of the girl's two children. Young's name is on the birth certificates as the father. The department refers the case to the Canyon County Sheriff's Office for investigation. The case is closed in December.

July 2, 2004: Canyon County deputies go to the Young residence on a domestic violence call; Young confessed that he had fathered the victim's children.

July 9, 2004: Canyon County Det. Christina Garrison sends a probable cause affidavit and a warrant request to the Canyon County Prosecutor's Office. No other action is taken by Health and Welfare or the prosecutor.

July to November, 2004: According to a tort claim, Deputy Prosecutor Virginia Bond ignored, delayed and refused to prosecute cases filed by Garrison from July to November, including the Young case. The claim also alleges county Prosecutor Dave Young, no relation to Michael Young, "failed to properly train and/or supervise his employees, resulting in the further and continuing victimization of various victims," including Young's stepdaughter and her children.

Aug. 2, 2004: Young marries the victim and she gets pregnant with their third child.

Nov. 12, 2004: Canyon County prosecutor files a warrant for Young's arrest. Days later, federal charges are filed.

January 2005: DNA tests are complete, proving the children are Young's.

August 2005: Young pleads guilty to federal charges of interstate transportation of a minor for unlawful sexual activity and is sentenced to 13 years in prison followed by 25 years of supervised release, similar to probation. Canyon County charges are dropped.

Sept. 19, 2005: The victim's attorney, Kathy Edwards, sends West Valley Medical Center in Caldwell a request for records that would prove officials notified the proper authorities of an underage birth, as required by law. Edwards said Friday she has not yet received any such records.

Sept. 23, 2005: Edwards files tort claims against the Canyon County Prosecutor's Office, Canyon County Sheriff's Office, Nampa Police Department and Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.

Oct. 17, 2005: The teen's mother, Sandra McCurry, pleads guilty to federal charge of misprision of a felony, admitting that she knew the sexual abuse was happening and did not report it. She is awaiting sentencing.

What's next: The agencies that received the tort claims have 90 days to file a response to the tort claims. No response would be a denial of the claims, and the victim could then file lawsuits in district court.

Much more at link:
http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/1564

Wow! I hope this woman wins. To be ignored since you were 5 - no wonder this story is so awful!

I hope is she does win - there is some kind of requirement that not one penny can be spent on or for the that perpetuated this crime!

Salem

The thing that worries me is that the girl is still saying she is going to stay with the man. Hopefully, during his period of incarceration, she will receive enough therapy to realize that is a bad, bad idea. She also needs to dump her mother.

Sadly, his time in jail will just make her miss him more. He's all she's ever known. Obviously, there's a little bit of Stockholm syndrome going on there.

I agree that the children should probably be taken and at least examined, but this might be one of those grey areas where the state just doesn't have enough to remove the kids. Just more proof that the system is completely ineffective for those that need it, at least in it's current form.

The thing that worries me is that the girl is still saying she is going to stay with the man. Hopefully, during his period of incarceration, she will receive enough therapy to realize that is a bad, bad idea. She also needs to dump her mother.

How much would that stink if she won the case and he got out of prison and wound up living off the settlement with her? That would be a hard pill to swallow...he financially benefits from raping a child. I personally hope she doesn't win for that very reason. I believe she was let down, but since she is still planning on staying with him, I don't want her to get one single penny from him.

This one is certainly baffling. The age of consent in Idaho is 14, which is when she had her first child with him. I don't know how you'd prove she was having sex with him prior to that.

I think she really needs to be watched in her mothering. As sad as it is, she's whacked, and it needs to be clear her children aren't exposed to abusers.

I know that this is an old post, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but...

the age of consent in Idaho is 18, not 14.

wonder if she ever got any money
wonder if she got treatment and (hopefully) divorced him
the youngest child would be about six now & I really hope those kids don't know who their daddy is :sick:

I didn't see anything else regarding the suit, but wasn't concentrating on that. I will see if I can find anything on a possible settlement.

I know that this is an old post, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but...

the age of consent in Idaho is 18, not 14.

That is why he married her in an attempt to avoid prosecution.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back