S1 Ep 5 Golden Era - A&E Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
Golden Era

As a celebrity member of the Church of Scientology, Leah Remini attended various gala fundraisers for the Church, many of them organized and produced by the Church’s production company Golden Era. Now the former Golden Era event producer, Marc Headley, pulls back the curtain to reveal the shocking truth of these events, and how his disillusionment lead to both his and his wife’s departure from the Church.

Golden Era

As a celebrity member of the Church of Scientology, Leah Remini attended various gala fundraisers for the Church, many of them organized and produced by the Church’s production company Golden Era. Now the former Golden Era event producer, Marc Headley, pulls back the curtain to reveal the shocking truth of these events, and how his disillusionment lead to both his and his wife’s departure from the Church.
And what a shocking truth it is... jmo of course.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I felt so bad for Claire Headley! I had no clue this sick cult coerced women to have abortions. Ughhhh! Made me want to pull my hair out!

I know. That was disgusting to hear.

And the scary way the 'members' were treated if they tried to escape. I cannot believe that the FBI is ignoring the illegal actions going on there.

I know. That was disgusting to hear.

And the scary way the 'members' were treated if they tried to escape. I cannot believe that the FBI is ignoring the illegal actions going on there.
And the alleged lies about all of the statistics...

Finding and confronting those private investigators just confirmed others stories about how they were followed, tracked, etc - I am glad that Leah and Mike confronted them and then named them on the show also. I am starting to get worried about Leah and Mike and just pray that nothing happens to them.

I don't understand how

a) they have minors (some as young as 14) signing a "contract"

b) is the billion year contract even a thing? Clearly a billion year contract is not enforceable so is it really a contract or are these impressionable minors just duped into believing they are bound by such a thing?

c) if people leave they are then billed for 100s of thousands of dollars? How is this even legal?

While we are on the subject - I keep hearing that people join because they want to make the world a better place. Over and over we hear that theme. Scientology is making the world a better place.

My question is - how? What charitable acts are they involved with? How much money, time or resources are spent in that endeavor? What specifically does this organization do to "make the world a better place"?

I don't understand how

b) is the billion year contract even a thing? Clearly a billion year contract is not enforceable so is it really a contract or are these impressionable minors just duped into believing they are bound by such a thing?

c) if people leave they are then billed for 100s of thousands of dollars? How is this even legal?

I don't know of any state in the U.S. that would hold a person to a contract signed when they were a minor. So the answer is no, these contracts are not legal and yes, impressionable minors are duped into believing they are bound.

Many if not most of the "parishioners" in $cientology are duped into believing the things they believe. They are fed the made up statistics and stories of what a wonderful job their church is doing in "clearing the planet". But, these are the same people who believe that touching someone with their finger is going to heal illness. And they also believe they are going to get "super powers" from their religion - things like being able to read minds and move inanimate objects, etc.

I really do not know what causes people to want to believe in these things, but it seems like you really have to WANT to believe in things that are just absurd. That's just my opinion.

While we are on the subject - I keep hearing that people join because they want to make the world a better place. Over and over we hear that theme. Scientology is making the world a better place.

My question is - how? What charitable acts are they involved with? How much money, time or resources are spent in that endeavor? What specifically does this organization do to "make the world a better place"?

I am pretty sure their main claim to fame on "helping mankind" has pretty much been centered on how many copies of a pamphlet written by the late L. Ron Hubbard called "The Way to Happiness" they have handed out. I have read several claims by the Church of $cientology that just by handing out this pamphlet in an area, it caused the crime rates to drop! They tell this kind of crap to their members and the members apparently believe it. Meanwhile, no police department has ever confirmed or verified their claims.

I don't understand how

The BILLION-YEAR CONTRACT signed by Sea Org members is a symbolic pledge of eternal commitment:
http://www.scientology.org/faq/chur...the-sea-org-sign-a-billion-year-contract.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tologys-elite-sea-org/?utm_term=.91689cdce4e1
How one woman climbed her way out of Scientology’s elite Sea Org
March 27, 2015
. . . she decided to sign a billion-year contract to serve in the Sea Organization in 1970. Scientologists, she said, believe in reincarnation, so you signed up for this life and the next life through a billion years.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...gy-violated-child-labor-and-wage-laws/1155473
Lawsuit claims Church of Scientology violated child labor and wage laws
Friday, March 4, 2011 11:30pm
A runaway from the Church of Scientology's restrictive religious order, the Sea Org, alleges in two lawsuits filed Friday that the church violated California laws regulating child labor, wages and school attendance. . . .

http://www.law360.com/articles/267604/judge-could-trim-scientology-child-labor-suit
Judge Could Trim Scientology Child Labor Suit
Law360, Los Angeles (August 25, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT)
. . . When Montalvo turned 6, he claims, he signed a billion-year contract and was forced to work up to 100 hours a week for compensation averaging $35 per week.

http://www.scientology.org/how-we-help/volunteer-ministers.html
GLOBAL VOLUNTEER MINISTER PROGRAM
[...] In addition to serving their own communities worldwide, Volunteer Ministers extend their help to remote cities, towns and villages.
The Church further established within its global network of volunteers a permanent Volunteer Ministers Disaster Response Team, ready to mobilize in times of natural or man-made disasters. Members of the team work with community leaders, government officials, relief organizations and other volunteer groups to provide physical support and meaningful spiritual aid through their organization, skill and experience.
Spanning every continent, Volunteer Ministers comprise one of the largest independent relief forces in the world, bringing effective help whenever and wherever needed. [...]

$cientology gets away with what they do because they have the legal designation of being "a religion." They've got teams of lawyers who know how to word documents and advise cult leaders on staying within the "religion" umbrella. So far it's worked for them and the government seems to mostly leave them alone.

However, I would hope any contract signed by a minor that obligates the minor to reimburse the cult for classes, should they ever leave the cult, would be legally unenforceable.

Is there any proof of the good they say they do from outside of "the church"? I am very hesitant to believe anything in links that go to "the church" at this point.

Is there any proof of the good they say they do from outside of "the church"? I am very hesitant to believe anything in links that go to "the church" at this point.

This.

Ha! That is the million dollar question!
You won’t find much about Scientologist Volunteers in main-stream media, other than the likes of this:

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/americas/story.php?id=35377
Updated: Scientologists in Haiti: Volunteers or Vultures?
2/9/2010
A mixture of messages is coming out of Haiti regarding the real impact of Scientology's Volunteer Ministers.

AND THIS:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecca-harrington/haiti-scientology-mission_b_510019.html
Scientology Missionaries Set Sail For Haiti, Commandeer Coast Guard Boat
05/23/2010 05:12 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011
[…]One of the doctors and one of the nurses told me that the wounded started coming to them to tell them they didn’t want to be treated by the people in the yellow shirts.

AND THIS:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/02/watchdog-bans-church-scientology-tv-ad-misleading
Watchdog bans Church of Scientology TV ad for misleading viewers
Advertising Standards Authority upholds complaint that church gives aid to ‘24 million’ saying figure unclear
Tuesday 1 March 2016 19.01 EST
A TV ad aired by the Church of Scientology has been banned by the advertising watchdog for misleading viewers with a claim it gives aid to tens of millions of people.
The TV ad stated that the church works with “volunteers from many faiths” to help people, including “giving aid to 24 million in times of need”. […]

AND THIS:
http://www.thebengalitimes.com/english-times/2016/10/01/19713/print
A. S. Sajib is First Bangladeshi in History to Become a Certified Scientology Volunteer Minister
10/01/2016
[…] “Scientology is the answer to solve the problems of human life,” says Sajib, who continues his work as a Volunteer Minister in Bangladesh. […]

I watched Leah's documentary interview and felt so sorry for her with her relationship with the church. We have a love and loyalty to our church and religious beliefs. I have experienced a roller coast ride with my church throughout the years also. We cannot easily walk away from what we have trusted all of our lives.

Hi Osintguyis here and I am new so bare with me... I am glad others are not getting this whole Scientology thing. In the quote below "[FONT=&quot]When Montalvo turned 6, he claims, he signed a billion-year contract and was forced to work up to 100 hours a week for compensation averaging $35 per week."
[/FONT]I have heard that before. I just watched a new episode where there was a former member on there who said he worked full time, got promoted, got raises etc etc. How can people pay mortgages, buy food, live at all on $35 per week?
Then there are children. In the same episode I just watched the people on the show were saying that they were in Scientology school that taught only Scientology stuff. No math, English or other standard education. How is that even possible?? How is it the Government doesn't step in and do something about this if it is true?

The BILLION-YEAR CONTRACT signed by Sea Org members is a symbolic pledge of eternal commitment:
http://www.scientology.org/faq/chur...the-sea-org-sign-a-billion-year-contract.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tologys-elite-sea-org/?utm_term=.91689cdce4e1
How one woman climbed her way out of Scientology’s elite Sea Org
March 27, 2015
. . . she decided to sign a billion-year contract to serve in the Sea Organization in 1970. Scientologists, she said, believe in reincarnation, so you signed up for this life and the next life through a billion years.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...gy-violated-child-labor-and-wage-laws/1155473
Lawsuit claims Church of Scientology violated child labor and wage laws
Friday, March 4, 2011 11:30pm
A runaway from the Church of Scientology's restrictive religious order, the Sea Org, alleges in two lawsuits filed Friday that the church violated California laws regulating child labor, wages and school attendance. . . .

http://www.law360.com/articles/267604/judge-could-trim-scientology-child-labor-suit
Judge Could Trim Scientology Child Labor Suit
Law360, Los Angeles (August 25, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT)
. . . When Montalvo turned 6, he claims, he signed a billion-year contract and was forced to work up to 100 hours a week for compensation averaging $35 per week.

Under the dome of "religion" is how they get away with it. "Religious Education" is part of that too. And people who join SeaOrg never own their own homes; they live in barracks and are treated like slaves. Can't force adults to leave a cult if they don't want to, and unless there's documented child abuse and it's reported to authorities, the children are under the control of their parents and, ultimately, the cult.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back