GA GA - Heather Uffelman, 22, Marietta, 24 October 1992

Austin023

Reaction score
I hope this case is not already tucked away somewhere in this forum, though I looked a bit before making this thread. This case is baffling and very troubling given the fact a good deal of clues were left behind, yet no viable suspect was ever identified, let alone anyone charged.
A case of robbery and murder where a (then) very expensive computer setup was stolen from the victims, who were selling it for their employer via a classified ad in a trade magazine.

Due to the age of this case and the fact it was never especially 'high profile', there is not a great deal out there online, except for a few old articles, etc. This case was featured on the TV show Unsolved Mysteries back in 1994.

Here are a couple of links with case details:
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Johnson

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42600028

The man who was purporting to buy this very high-end PC was a man who called himself Tom Johnson. Jeremy was selling the very high-end, specialized PC for his employer, despite the fact the computer setup was less than a year old at the time. (This I'm curious about and it hasn't been sufficiently explained---why were they selling this in the first place?). Jeremy's fiance Heather, who attended school with Jeremy, joined him for the over-night trip to Marietta, GA, about a five hour drive from where they lived in Tennessee. They were to meet this Tom Johnson at a small motel in Marietta around 8AM, October 24th, 1992---since they arrived bit early, they went and had breakfast. Tom Johnson apparently had a motel room ready, for them to meet him at (this was in the days before cell phones and motels still often did not require ID and credit cards to get rooms--there were no security cameras on the premises, either). The man working the motel desk did get a good look at "Tom Johnson", however, among at least a couple of other people including Jeremy, who survived the attack. Heather was beaten several times over the head with the hammer, and died soon after reaching hospital, never having regained any consciousness.

Who has anything on this case?

202773-392de2961853d25b05d1204214f7d76f.jpg
Tom Steeples Vs Tom Johnson
I used the window snippet tool, and went to a add a moustache website. I think that photo of steeples was from 1997ish, and Tom Johnson was from 1992. Besides the way they comb their hair it's definitely worth an investigation.

Attachments

• tom vs tom.JPG
    tom vs tom.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 5
Wow, I think they could be one in the same! I had heard of Peoples being a suspect though he was never publicly accused by the authorities. However the resemblance is uncanny, not to mention the fact he owner a computer store at the time.
202773-392de2961853d25b05d1204214f7d76f.jpg
Tom Steeples Vs Tom Johnson
I used the window snippet tool, and went to a add a moustache website. I think that photo of steeples was from 1997ish, and Tom Johnson was from 1992. Besides the way they comb their hair it's definitely worth an investigation.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-8_9-8-8.png
    upload_2020-12-8_9-8-8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members