NM NM - John Hartenfeld, 46, Taos County, Aug 1996

dimples37398

Reaction score
Dale Lezon. Albuquerque Journal. Albuquerque, N.M.: Nov 2, 1996. p. 3

A northern Taos county search for a man missing since August has turned up no evidence of his whereabouts, a State Police officer said.
A 10-member search-and-rescue team that included a helicopter and "cadaver dogs" scoured a remote area near Amalia in the far northern New Mexico mountains where John Hartenfeld's vehicle was found Oct. 19, 1996.

"The search team has concluded its search and turned up nothing," Sgt. Ted Branch said. "The cadaver dogs went to the spot where the vehicle had been found and then went to a road nearby and stopped. That's where the trail ended."
Branch said the investigation would focus on whether any of Hartenfeld's credit cards have been used, but that he was unaware of reports of such use.

The Santa Fe New Mexican. Santa Fe, N.M.: Aug 9, 1996. pg. A.1

After man didn't return from fishing trip, his credit card was used in Taos
The family of a Santa Fe man missing since Saturday has begun to fear foul play after learning someone used John Hartenfeld's credit card to buy gasoline in Taos, days after he failed to return home from a weekend fishing trip.

Hartenfeld, 46, is an avid fly-fisherman. He last was seen driving his 1996 Toyota 4-Runner toward a fishing spot near Valle Vidal, a friend said earlier this week.

It is possible this is John Hartenfeld listed in the Social Security Death Index. Of course, this doesn't prove that John Hartenfeld actually died only that someone filed to claim his benefits. We still don't know if his body was actually found.

Name:J. C. Hartenfeld
SSN:*advertiser censored*-xx-xxxx
Born:2 Jul 1950
Died:Aug 1996
State (Year) SSN issued:California (1966)

It is possible this is John Hartenfeld listed in the Social Security Death Index. Of course, this doesn't prove that John Hartenfeld actually died only that someone filed to claim his benefits. We still don't know if his body was actually found.

Name:J. C. Hartenfeld
Born:2 Jul 1950
Died:Aug 1996
State (Year) SSN issued:California (1966)

If he went missing in 96, wouldn't it be hard to have him declared dead the same year unless there was a body or some proof?

If I have someone declared dead 7 years after they go missing, is their DOD their missing date or the date I have them declared dead??

John C Hartenfeld:
http://164.64.161.58/contact.php
I could not find an obituary. I checked NM for Sgt. Ted Branch. That name appears in NM state police. I found their cold case section on NM website.
I emailed a cold case detective asking if Mr Hartenfeld's case either solved or if classified as still missing. Will post results.
///
John C. Hartenfeld: I found a John Curly Hartenfeld, white pages,
searched John Hartenfeld: John Hartenfeld
John C Hartenfeld
John Curley Hartenfeld
J Hartenfeld
J C Hartenfeld
grn_check.gif
grn_check.gif
Mckinleyville , CA
Santa Fe , NM
Woodbridge , CA
Stockton , CA
Lodi , CA
Trinidad , CA
Santa Clara , CA
Martinez , CA
Santa Cruz , CA
//////
Also, an Interesting newspaper online: Taos Daily: Horse Fly:
http://www.taosdaily.com/index.php?fuseaction=home.viewarticle&article_id=2337
It lists deaths and missing people.

Good job dream, I will checked the obits at ancestry, RK has checked the SSN, nothing.

I just haven't found the "proof" that John Hartenfeld's body was found. It most likely was found if that is actually him in the SSDI. UNLESS...there was enough cause for LE to believe that John had met with foul play or if someone was arrested for murdering him. I still would like to find an article or an obituary on him.

I was trying to figure out if someone were declared dead what date of death would be used and it seems like it would be the date they were declared dead..for example, Steve Fossett went missing September 3, 2007 and in the SSDI his date of death is listed as October 2, 2008.

ETA: I believe Steve Fossett's information in the SSDI must have been amended. The date of death listed in the SSDI is Oct 2, 2008. I believe that is the date his "body" was found. He was declared dead in February of 2008.

Here is his listing in the SSDI:

Name:James Stephen Fossett
Last Residence:
Born:22 Apr 1944
Died:2 Oct 2008
State (Year) SSN issued:California (1959)

----

If he went missing in 96, wouldn't it be hard to have him declared dead the same year unless there was a body or some proof?

If I have someone declared dead 7 years after they go missing, is their DOD their missing date or the date I have them declared dead??

Per Captain Scott Weaver, NM state police:
Mr. John Hartenfeld is still entered as a missing person out of the Raton State Police.

Captain Scott Weaver
South Zone Investigations Commander
505-469- "Cell"
505-827- "Office"
-------------------
I heard back from Capt. Weaver.

Per Captain Scott Weaver, NM state police:
Mr. John Hartenfeld is still entered as a missing person out of the Raton State Police.

Captain Scott Weaver
South Zone Investigations Commander
505-469- "Cell"
505-827- "Office"
-------------------
I heard back from Capt. Weaver.

Dream, what about a photo of Mr. Hartenfeld?

I have searched tons of places for a photo and haven't been able to find one. I did find his description in an article, which is 6'0 200lbs brown hair hazel eyes.

I also found his daughter on myspace but do not and will not contact her as she is only 21 years old and it is all probably always very confusing and fresh in her mind.

Her name is listed on veromi, as well as his wife, if you search his name. In the articles it states his wife and her family were from california and it is the same town listed on veromi still.

Kel

Dream, what about a photo of Mr. Hartenfeld?
----------------------------------------------
re: John Hartenfeld:
I looked up Raton, NM. Their website appears very new. There is no link to missing persons, etc.
I did email the only email contact listed.
I also emailed Capt. Weaver again, asking for a physical description and/or a picture.
Will post when I have information.

----------------------------------------------
re: John Hartenfeld:
I looked up Raton, NM. Their website appears very new. There is no link to missing persons, etc.
I did email the only email contact listed.
I also emailed Capt. Weaver again, asking for a physical description and/or a picture.
Will post when I have information.
----------------------------------------------------------
yep, quoting myself: trying to keep information together about one person.
John Hartenfeld:
Capt. Weaver, NN state police now wants to know why I am asking for description or picture. I now have to explain the whole
researching for Benjaman Kyle, on forum, websleuthers and give him info. and links and all of that. I think he will respond again shortly.

If anyone has information on how to pull public records, that would be terrific.
I'm working on my dad's cased. His name is John Curely Hartenfeld.
- Missing and reported deceased in 1996.
- He was on a fishing trip in New Mexico.
Let me know if I can provide any more information, thank you!

How were you able to access that information? This forum is discussing my dad's case (I'm James Hartenfeld) and I've always wanted to know how to pull records in order to study it more.
Thanks!

How were you able to access that information? This forum is discussing my dad's case (I'm James Hartenfeld) and I've always wanted to know how to pull records in order to study it more.
Thanks!

:bump:

John Hartenfeld is mentioned in relation to this NamUs case.

'Hunters in the area, came across the skull and notified local State Police. Missing persons from that area, were reported as: John Hartenfeld, and Ralph Herrera. Ralph Herrera was found deceased on 11/12/1992, due natural causes. Unknown information about John Hartenfeld. No other follow up in case file'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back