Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Anderson was known to wear a wig, black, short hair style. Roommate stated this item was missing from apartment.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Anderson was last seen by her roomates at their apartment in the early morning hours of April 13th, 1971. She has not been seen or heard from since.
Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Sacramento Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Deputy Paige Kneeland
Agency Contact Person: Detective Heather Hendrickson
Agency Phone Number: 916-808-0643
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 71-12652

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 27540

Information Source(s)

NamUs
North American Missing Persons Network

Admin Notes

Added: 1/10/2017; Last Updated: 1/10/2017

Link

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3665dfca.html

Not much information is available on this case that I could find. In fact, I couldn't find any newspaper coverage of her disappearance, something I found strange based on how crazy the media can go when a stunning young woman disappears.

However, in my searching through newspaper databases I found one peculiar article. In the July 18th, 1974 edition of "The Bakersfield Californian" newspaper an individual with the exact same name is reported to have married one Robert Mostad. The middle name is included and everything matches exactly, including the spelling her first, middle, and last name.

July 18 1974 The Bakersfield Californian.JPG

The Denise Kathleen Anderson that married Robert Mostad has her parents listed in the article. I was able to find out her birthday from that.

Denise Kathleen Anderson birth information.JPG

Denise Kathleen Anderson, the missing person, is listed as 22 years old as of April 1971. Denise Kathleen Anderson, the woman subject in the newspaper articles would be 19 as of April 1971. I do know that DoeNetwork and NamUs often have ages of missing people wrong. I don't see any mention of foul play, just a roommate reporting her missing. Part of me really wonders if these two Denise Kathleen Andersons are one and the same people and the birthdays are just wrong.

If anyone can find a picture of a Denise Kathleen Mostad that resembles the missing person that might be useful for ruling out this lead or confirming that she didn't go missing. I think I will email Dustin.

Update: emailed Dustin at NamUs. My feeling is that this is probably just a coincidence, but I find it weird enough still.

Not much information is available on this case that I could find. In fact, I couldn't find any newspaper coverage of her disappearance, something I found strange based on how crazy the media can go when a stunning young woman disappears.

However, in my searching through newspaper databases I found one peculiar article. In the July 18th, 1974 edition of "The Bakersfield Californian" newspaper an individual with the exact same name is reported to have married one Robert Mostad. The middle name is included and everything matches exactly, including the spelling her first, middle, and last name.

View attachment 109385

The Denise Kathleen Anderson that married Robert Mostad has her parents listed in the article. I was able to find out her birthday from that.

View attachment 109387

Denise Kathleen Anderson, the missing person, is listed as 22 years old as of April 1971. Denise Kathleen Anderson, the woman subject in the newspaper articles would be 19 as of April 1971. I do know that DoeNetwork and NamUs often have ages of missing people wrong. I don't see any mention of foul play, just a roommate reporting her missing. Part of me really wonders if these two Denise Kathleen Andersons are one and the same people and the birthdays are just wrong.

If anyone can find a picture of a Denise Kathleen Mostad that resembles the missing person that might be useful for ruling out this lead or confirming that she didn't go missing. I think I will email Dustin.

Update: emailed Dustin at NamUs. My feeling is that this is probably just a coincidence, but I find it weird enough still.

They are different people, I'm sure. I found a pic of the wedding. Look totally different.

I don't remember when Bundy was in CA but she sure seems like his type.

Agreed. If he could be shown to be in the area he would be a suspect. However, I don't think he was a morning person with his killings, at least not on the sunny side of the morning. He was more of a nightfall guy, afternoon guy. Any morning abduction stuff is like 2am kind of 'morning' time, not 6am when the commuters are out, at least with his known crimes that I can think of. However, his timeline has no information for 1971 with the exception of of some early and late entries for the year that place him in Seattle.

View attachment 109385

View attachment 109387

The missing Denise Kathleen Anderson was born 13 Jul 1948.
The Denise Kathleen Anderson married in 1974 was born 1952

So they are NOT the same person.

The missing DKA:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
in the California Birth Index, 1905-1995
Name:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Birth Date: 13 Jul 1948
Mother's Maiden Name: Vassilopoulos
Birth County: Sacramento

The 1974 married DKA:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Name:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Birth Date: 23 Feb 1952
Mother's Maiden Name: Dawson
Birth County: Kern

The missing Denise Kathleen Anderson was born 13 Jul 1948.
The Denise Kathleen Anderson married in 1974 was born 1952

So they are NOT the same person.

The missing DKA:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Name:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Birth Date: 13 Jul 1948
Mother's Maiden Name: Vassilopoulos
Birth County: Sacramento

The 1974 married DKA:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Name:
Denise Kathleen Anderson
Birth Date: 23 Feb 1952
Mother's Maiden Name: Dawson
Birth County: Kern
This is a strange case

I'm going to throw out a possibility.

Bedford NH Jane Doe 1971

White Female
Height: 5' 1"-5' 5"
Hair color: Possibly brown
Discovered Oct 6, 1971
Est Death: 1-3 months before discovery

Bedford NH Jane Doe has no comparisons listed on Namus with anyone.

Denise Kathleen Anderson has 16 comparisons ruled out on Namus:
1 from California
1 from Oregon
13 from Virginia
1 from New Jersey

I have a feeling they think Denise came to the east coast.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
710UFNH
Bedford NH Jane Doe 1971 - DNA Doe Project Cases

Original

Here is a video about Denise's disappearance, the hosts Rick & Gavin did some really great work digging up news articles about Denise's case.

Denise was an aspiring actress at the time of her disappearance, she starred in roles in plays in local Sacramento theaters and was a resident actor at Sacramento's Eaglet theater. She lived in an apartment with two other young women and worked at Wells Fargo bank. Denise was last seen at 5:30 am by one of her roommates, she was in bed asleep and her roommate borrowed her car that day, when she returned to the apartment at 2:30 pm, Denise was gone.

Some photos of Denise.
YlQkHMv.jpg
fGoc5UF.jpg
sihOTLQ.jpg
Xh6JVW1.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads