AZ AZ - Pima Co., UnkMale UP16193, 23-57, US Marine Corps Knife w/ 'Lopez', Dec'16

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Estimated Height: 66 inches tall

Hair: Black

Body condition: Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues

Estimated postmortem interval: Weeks

Medical: Healed broken ribs on left side (ribs 4-10)

Clothing:

And 1" brand Navy Blue basketball shorts Size Small

"Dickies" brand Black leather belt Size 38 but worn tighter with handmade notches

Green boxers with white and blue grid lines. No brand or size found.

Footwear: "Outdoor Life" brand black leather hiking boots. Size 9

Other items found w/body:
"Everest" brand small black backpack
Red pouch with cross sewn to it. Inside the pouch was a charm of a woman and a brown bead.
Several religious amulets tied together with red string. A bead with the letter "A" was also tied to the amulets.
Green pocket knife with US Marine Corps seal on it. "Lopez" was etched by hand on the knife handle.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16193

Zooming in on the charms, one says San Miguel. With the "A" on the charms, maybe his first name starts with the letter "A"?

43 cases of Males with the last name Lopez. I am going through them now. Will post any possibles that I find.

Ok, none that fit the timeline mentioned in namus of a few weeks with the last name Lopez. But a depressing number of missing people in Pima county who went missing while crossing the border. Also, black hiking boots, blue jeans, and a black belt seem to be very common things for border crossers to be wearing.

Looking at the GPS coordinates where he was found he had just walked passed a fire station. I'm thinking if he was a citizen he would have stopped there if he was in physical trouble.

The pocket knife is available via catalog. I didn't find this exact one but there are quite similar new ones. This one looks to be older. Perhaps the knife was pertaining to, or belonged to, a family member in the states and the last name is the relation's last name.

Does it seem odd to anyone that his hand(s) was/were missing?

Looking at the GPS coordinates where he was found he had just walked passed a fire station. I'm thinking if he was a citizen he would have stopped there if he was in physical trouble.

The pocket knife is available via catalog. I didn't find this exact one but there are quite similar new ones. This one looks to be older. Perhaps the knife was pertaining to, or belonged to, a family member in the states and the last name is the relation's last name.

Since it doesn't say that his hands had been cut off, I'm guessing the hands being missing is the result of wildlife. I have read on other cases that the hands are the first parts to be carried off by small animals.

The missing hands... I remember seeing quite a few UIDs in Hidalgo County Texas (on the border) in Namus when looking a few weeks ago. I assumed it happened prior to disposal (cartel-related or an illegal immigrant killer) but animals makes sense too.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

I was doing some searching this UP, the dental work seems to be prevalent in people coming up to cross the boarder. I was curious if the Mexican government has established anything like what we have with NAMUS, to list missing people.

Doing some digging I found out that there is a new website(database) from the Mexican gov, that has profiles of their missing people. It has a lot of work to do since there's only about 500 profiles and its solely in Spanish so the translation might be difficult unless you are fluent in Spanish.

I wonder if some of our unidentified here in Arizona could be people who were border crossing and could be located in the database but without DNA in the system for comparison they have gone unidentified.

This article explains more in depth about the database: Lost in the System: Unidentified Bodies on the Border

This is the website/database in Spanish:
HASVISTOA

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Male, Uncertain
Date Body FoundDecember 22, 2016
Location FoundSE of Three Points, Arizona
Estimated Age Range23-57 Years

NCMEC Number --
ME/C Case Number 16-3302
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityUncertain
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range (Years)23-57
Estimated Year of Death2016
Estimated PMIWeeks
Height 5' 6"(66 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundDecember 22, 2016
NamUs Case CreatedJanuary 5, 2017
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
Location SE of Three Points, Arizona 85736
CountyPima County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)32.01581, -111.26681
Found On Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of Recovery Incomplete remains found in a remote desert area by USBP.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains One or both hands not recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues
Physical Description
Hair Color Black
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description --
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown
Eye Description --
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
"Everest" brand small black backpack Red pouch with cross sewn to it. Inside the pouch was a charm of a woman and a brown bead. Several religious amulets tied together with red string. A bead with the letter "A" was also tied to the amulets. Green pocket knife with US Marine Corps seal on it. "Lopez" was etched by hand on the knife handle.
Near the Body

Clothing
"And 1" brand Navy Blue basketball shorts Size Small "Dickies" brand Black leather belt Size 38 but worn tighter with handmade notches Green boxers with white and blue grid lines. No brand or size found.
On the Body

Footwear
"Outdoor Life" brand black leather hiking boots. Size 9
On the Body

For me it's just heartbreaking there is still no professional database for all the people who where missing went missing, likely while crossing the border, murdered and missing, missing and the unidentified withing Mexico. I know it would be an immense job, taking years and years...does anybody know there are any cross border/international initiatives?

Last edited:
I came across this young man. Long shot.....and probably no way to match them
http://www.fiscaliadesaparecidosedomex.org.mx/images/odi_name_000009.jpg

Gabriel Jonathan Lopez Estrada
Missing since 4/6/2014 from "fishing neighborhood" Chimalhuacan, Mexico, No background story.
22 years at the time, UID 23 - 57 years
168 cm, UID 5'6/66 inches
No weight. UID no weight
Black hair, UID black hair
Medium tinted/light brown complexion, UID race unsure
Straight nose, thick lips, oval chin. UID not mentioned, no recon
No special traits mentioned about teeth or ribs. UID broken ribs/metal around teeth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back