President Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning

Here we go...up next Clinton....Snowden.....sigh...

I am so lucky to have been alive when Barack Obama was President of the U.S.A.

I still cannot find where the treason laws were rewritten to change the punishment according to whether some liked what the convicted spy's treason led to.

Manning was sentenced in August 2013 to 35 years imprisonment, with the possibility of parole in the eighth year, and to be dishonorably discharged from the Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Manning

Assigned in 2009 to an Army unit in Iraq as an intelligence analyst, Manning had access to classified databases. In early 2010, she leaked classified information to WikiLeaks and confided this to Adrian Lamo, an online acquaintance. Lamo informed Army Counterintelligence, and Manning was arrested in May that same year. The material included videos of the July 12, 2007 Baghdad airstrike, and the 2009 Granai airstrike in Afghanistan; 251,287 U.S. diplomatic cables;[9] and 482,832 Army reports that came to be known as the Iraq War Logs[10] and Afghan War Diary.[11] Much of the material was published by WikiLeaks or its media partners between April and November 2010.[12]

I am sitting on my hands! :jail:

I am so lucky to have been alive when Barack Obama was President of the U.S.A.

Absolutely. These days, every little scrap of good news and display of rational, critical thinking is like a gift from the Gods. A wrong has been righted. I hope that Chelsea is able to surround herself with support and mental health care and is able to live her life with purpose and peace. Thank you for this last gasp of sanity, President Obama.

Clinton? Huh? Is this like a fantasy football thing or something?

Just an educated guess since his emails were on her server...keeps his butt out of trouble if he does. Otherwise he goes down with her for lying.

Just an educated guess since his emails were on her server...keeps his butt out of trouble if he does. Otherwise he goes down with her for lying.

Ack, she didn't do anything any of the rest of them didn't do, and took her instructions from predecessors like Colin Powell. There was never any "there" there. If Bush/Cheney/Powell/Rice/Sessions aren't getting into trouble for their dirty deeds with their emails, there are certainly no grounds for Clinton to be punished for using the wrong server. Clinton was swift boated. Snowden, on the other hand...a much murkier case. As for Chelsea Manning, she was much more of a whistleblower than she ever was a traitor.

Agree to disagree...not going to debate politics on WS....

im not familiar with all of the story here, why are you so happy that her sentence was commuted?

She was a whistleblower . She served way more of a sentence than others.

Yes, it probably would've been best had you not instigated with a spurious insinuation. But, it happens. ;)

youre absolutely right and I apologize.
I shouldn't have said it. If I could delete it i would.

I am sitting on my hands! :jail:

Me too Tulessa...What has happened to this world? She is a traitor...My husband served 32 years in the Navy and I cannot understand why this act of treason is excusable! So true what the Good Book says...that there will come a time when wrong is thought of as being right and right is considered wrong...We are there! I could say a lot more about the past 8 years and what it has done to our country, but I guess I'll just be quiet and move on....

ETA: Guess I didn't sit on my hands...Mods delete if necessary...Just wanted another viewpoint expressed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back