LA - Officer Michael Louviere, 26, & Simone Veal, 32, slain, Marrero, 20 Jan 2017

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Louisiana authorities say a woman who was fatally shot along with an off-duty police officer in a town outside New Orleans had been chased down in a vehicle by the shooter, who killed her as she lay on the ground after crashing her car.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...10fe486791c_story.html?utm_term=.034d0a079779

The officer killed at the scene is identified as Michael Louvier, according to Jefferson Parish Newell Normand.

The woman was identified as 32-year-old Simone Veal of the 4000 block of Lillie Street in Marrero.

Louvier was on his way home when he saw the crash. He got out of his vehicle and attempted to assist people involved in the accident and direct traffic.

While attempting to assist them, Louvier was shot in the head. It's unclear when the woman was shot.

Normand said authorities are searching door-to-door for 31-year-old Sylvester Holt.
http://www.fox8live.com/story/34306113/westwego-officer-woman-killed-in-marrero-shooting

ETA: Not sure if he is in custody.

A man suspected of killing two people, including an off-duty police officer, was apparently the same man threatening to jump off a New Orleans bridge Friday afternoon, Fox 8 reported.

[...]

Authorities say Holt was released from jail on Jan. 7 after prosecutors declined to prosecute him for rape.

A Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman said prosecutors dropped the rape case due to “lack of witness participation.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/2...er-police-officer-shot-dead-in-louisiana.html

Officers had guns trained on the man who was believed to be a person of interest in the shooting of a Westwego officer and another woman as of 3:45 p.m.

The man had been standing on the support beams of the bridge for several hours. At least three officers could be seen with guns drawn.

[...]

Police officers had converged around a man on the edge of the westbound side of the Crescent City Connection on Friday afternoon, in a standoff that one official said was related to the search for Sylvester Holt, who has been named as a person of interest in the fatal shooting hours earlier of a Westwego police officer and a 32-year-old woman.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_4d68f554-df10-11e6-96b5-0b13852974b3.html

Jefferson Parish marriage records confirm that Veal and Holt were married.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/01/marrero_police_shooting_westwe.html

Oh wow. Sounds like a jilted boyfriend who can't stand rejection and didn't want anyone to try to save or help her, which is why he killed the off duty officer. Either that or she was advising someone to break up with him and that person took her advice. Hopefully they find this man quickly because he sounds like a real threat to the public if he would kill an off duty officer who was trying to offer assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A man threatening to jump from New Orleans' Mississippi River bridge ignored a rope lowered to him as police hunted for a man who fatally shot an off-duty police officer and a woman who had crashed her car.

Police pulled the rope back up late Friday afternoon, and the man lay down on a girder below the bridge and outside its railing.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-gas-station-worker-woman-ran-screaming-44918741

The Sheriff’s Office had received a 911 call reporting a domestic dispute near the intersection at about 6:30 a.m., and as Louviere pulled over and started to cross Barataria, shots rang out, Normand said. Both Louviere and Veal were killed.

Normand said Veal had called the Sheriff’s Office just minutes before to report being shot at in the nearby Hillcrest subdivision, on the 3000 block of Lillie Street.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/crime/article127708114.html

The suspect just shot himself, per live local news Fox8. No word yet on his condition. He still was on the girder of the bridge.

Reporters heard a gunshot, then saw the man stagger forward and drop to the ground. LE confirmed the shooting.

‏@KimberlyCurth@
Fox8 News
We have confirmed that the suspect, Sylvester Holt, shot himself, we heard the shot, then saw him stumble forward, no word on his condition.
5:52 PM - 20 Jan 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/KimberlyCurth/status/822592560178855937

Meg Gatto –
Verified account ‏@MegGattoFOX8
Breaking: @KimberlyCurth reporting suspect Sylvester Holt just shot himself while on the side of the CCC
5:48 PM - 20 Jan 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/MegGattoFOX8/status/822591779824369664

Sheriff Normand: Sylvester Holt chased Simone Veal from her home to a nearby intersection, where he fatally shot her, ofc. Michael Louviere.

[video=twitter;822637844082606083]https://twitter.com/RVargasAdvocate/status/822637844082606083[/video]

Normand: Holt admitted on the bridge to shooting Veal and Louviere.

[video=twitter;822642970381914112]https://twitter.com/WWLTV/status/822642970381914112[/video]

"Westwego police officer Michael Louviere, who was shot in the head and killed while responding to an incident in Marrero on Friday morning (Jan. 20)...joined force in July 2015...graduated first in his class from the Kenner Police Academy, where he won multiple awards... "

^ http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf...arre.html#incart_most-commented_crime_article Jan 20 2017

How is it they manage to live thru active duty in war zones but are shot & killed in line of duty in broad daylight here in US?

RIP Officer Louviere. Thoughts and prayers to family, friends & community.

Yeah - the mind of an abusive man doesn't work that way. In their mind, they can do whatever they want but their significant other can only do what they're allowed to do. And leaving an abuser is the ultimate insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Officer Louviere celebrated his 26th birthday on Janu 18, 2017. He was a US Marine and served in Afghanistan. He graduated first from the police academy and became an officer in July 2015. He is married and he and his wife have 2 children, a 4 year old daughter and a 1 year old son.

He had just gotten off duty and was on his way home when he stopped for what he thought was a traffic accident. The murderer told him everyone was okay and there was no vehicle damage, so he began to return to his car and was shot from behind. He didn't see the dead woman in the other vehicle.

Now these babies will never know their father, will grow up without him and his little young wife is now a single mother with 2 babies to take care of. This *advertiser censored**** ruined the lives of so many.

He also killed a pregnant woman leaving behind a wake of devastation for her family. Then he killed himself, destroying his own family.

One person, so much carnage. Over jealousy? Are you kidding me?

This was SO intense yesterday. Him on the bridge was live feeding on Facebook. The bridge was shut down, traffic was at a standstill all over the city because of it and everyone was watching the live feeds. I am glad he is gone, as he has a long history of violence.

In addition to hunting down Simone and her unborn child, he actually looked for the boyfriend (to presumably kill) both before he chased Simone and after he shot her and the officer. (stated by Newell Normand in the video press conference last night). She had several restraining orders out on him. Several other women also had restraining orders against him. Furthermore, he was walking around her neighborhood asking people who lived in that house (she had just moved there with her boyfriend). He literally stalked and hunted this poor lady. And she went to the courts to express her fear multiple times. I wonder if they notified her when he got released on those rape charges. She would have no reason to believe he should ever be walking those streets again! He was extremely violent. And she and Officer Louviere paid the ultimate price for giving him too many chances. I think I saw he was still wanted on charges somewhere else? Why not transfer him instead of letting this monster free. Ugh.

Eventually, maybe the court system will believe a violent offender, when they prove to be a violent offender. They won't need to wait until he actually kills the person who is terrified and scared of him. They will prosecute by giving protection to a girl he raped, as New Orleans is known for criminals getting out of prison easily (like him!) and retaliating against the witness and their family. She said wanted the charges dropped, but continued to say he raped her. The DA should have said it isn't your choice. I am the one charging him. Because she was clearly threatened and felt it was something she had to say!

I am so angry about the same violent criminals being let out to harm more innocent people. I hope her boyfriend has a close support system. I can't even imagine what he is going through. He lost his girlfriend, his roommate and his unborn child. In addition, he was also being hunted and escaped the fate that was served to others. He will live with a lot of (unfounded) guilt. There is nothing he could have done, but this is going to be quite hard for him.

Quoted from mpnola: (not sure what happened but couldn't get this to quote properly)

Eventually, maybe the court system will believe a violent offender, when they prove to be a violent offender. They won't need to wait until he actually kills the person who is terrified and scared of him.

*110% couldn't agree with you more! Our system fails us time and time again, it's unacceptable*

This was SO intense yesterday. Him on the bridge was live feeding on Facebook. The bridge was shut down, traffic was at a standstill all over the city because of it and everyone was watching the live feeds. I am glad he is gone, as he has a long history of violence.

In addition to hunting down Simone and her unborn child, he actually looked for the boyfriend (to presumably kill) both before he chased Simone and after he shot her and the officer. (stated by Newell Normand in the video press conference last night). She had several restraining orders out on him. Several other women also had restraining orders against him. Furthermore, he was walking around her neighborhood asking people who lived in that house (she had just moved there with her boyfriend). He literally stalked and hunted this poor lady. And she went to the courts to express her fear multiple times. I wonder if they notified her when he got released on those rape charges. She would have no reason to believe he should ever be walking those streets again! He was extremely violent. And she and Officer Louviere paid the ultimate price for giving him too many chances. I think I saw he was still wanted on charges somewhere else? Why not transfer him instead of letting this monster free. Ugh.

Eventually, maybe the court system will believe a violent offender, when they prove to be a violent offender. They won't need to wait until he actually kills the person who is terrified and scared of him. They will prosecute by giving protection to a girl he raped, as New Orleans is known for criminals getting out of prison easily (like him!) and retaliating against the witness and their family. She said wanted the charges dropped, but continued to say he raped her. The DA should have said it isn't your choice. I am the one charging him. Because she was clearly threatened and felt it was something she had to say!

I am so angry about the same violent criminals being let out to harm more innocent people. I hope her boyfriend has a close support system. I can't even imagine what he is going through. He lost his girlfriend, his roommate and his unborn child. In addition, he was also being hunted and escaped the fate that was served to others. He will live with a lot of (unfounded) guilt. There is nothing he could have done, but this is going to be quite hard for him.
True. I was held up in traffic 30 minutes just trying to travel a few blocks on Hwy 90. But who cares. The awful story was the tragedy of these deaths, in addition to the violent protests downtown last night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back