NY - Catherine Woods, 21, stabbed to death in her NYC apartment, 27 Nov 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A 21-year-old topless dancer was killed when her throat was slashed in her upper East Side apartment last night, cops said.
The victim, Katherine Woods, was attacked so viciously that she was nearly decapitated, a police source said.

The boyfriend said he and Woods were having "a lovely evening" when he left the apartment to move his car, a police source said. The boyfriend said he came back 20 minutes later and found the apartment door ajar and Woods dead, lying on her back in blood in her second-floor bedroom.

"It was a bloody mess, like a bucket of red paint had been tossed around," a police source said of the apartment.

Police also found bloody footprints inside the apartment.

The boyfriend, who told neighbors he worked as a doorman, had no blood on his clothes or shoes, police said.

Neighbor Andrew Gold, 49, said he was talking on the phone with his fiancée when he heard a commotion at 6:25 p.m. "I heard a scream," said Gold, adding that the scream was loud enough for his fiancée to hear.

"Then I heard a scuffle, and then another scream, and then more of a scuffle. Then I heard a thud, a loud thud like something being knocked over."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/369644p-314532c.html

An aspiring Broadway dancer was found stabbed to death in her Upper east Side apartment last night, police said.
Catherine Woods was discovered face down in a pool of blood on the floor of her bedroom. She had been knifed in the neck and hand, and the room was in "disarray, " police said.

Her boyfriend told cops she was an exotic dancer, police sources said.

But her parents in Columbus, Ohio, told The Post their beautiful 21-year-old daughter was a dancer who had appeared in an off-Broadway production called "Privilege."
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/58226.htm

This story is interesting, and sad for the victim.

The boyfriend seems suspect .... moves his car just when she is attacked?
Neighbor hears the struggle at 6:25 ... if he comes back in 20 minutes, why does he wait another 15 to call 911?? :confused:

Plus if there's a lot of blood in the apartment, how does he manage to get none on his shoes going to find where she is in the back bedroom?

I feel really bad for her parents. They didn't even know their daughter was a topless dancer.

I read the AP story on Fox's site and it said the cops went to the club that she was supposed to work but no one knew her. (?) Also, if he went to work on his car at 7 and the neighbor heard the screams at 6:20, then he must have been in the apartment. Something is fishy here.

Linda7NJ said:
I feel really bad for her parents. They didn't even know their daughter was a topless dancer.
It doesn't sound like she was for sure...only the boyfriend is saying that she was....her picture was shown at the club where she supposedly worked and noone recognized her as someone that worked there....definately hinkey....IMO

Did the boyfriend kill her and then dispose of his clothes and shoes....seems too clean and convenient that he just happened to be out of the apartment right at the time of the attack.....hmmmm...and what's this they were having a "lovely evening"....what guy says that...:doh: ..someone like Scott Peterson.....???

joanofarc said:
It doesn't sound like she was for sure...only the boyfriend is saying that she was....her picture was shown at the club where she supposedly worked and noone recognized her as someone that worked there....definately hinkey....IMO

Did the boyfriend kill her and then dispose of his clothes and shoes....seems too clean and convenient that he just happened to be out of the apartment right at the time of the attack.....hmmmm...and what's this they were having a "lovely evening"....what guy says that...:doh: ..someone like Scott Peterson.....???
I agree with your entire post ... no blood on his clothes, his shoes ... "lovely evening" ... yeah, we've heard this one before. He probably killed her at 6:25, cleaned himself up, changed clothes and got rid of his clothes and then called the police at 7pm.

PrayersForMaura said:
I agree with your entire post ... no blood on his clothes, his shoes ... "lovely evening" ... yeah, we've heard this one before. He probably killed her at 6:25, cleaned himself up, changed clothes and got rid of his clothes and then called the police at 7pm.
I agree. The bf probably killed the girl, cleaned up, changed clothes and then went down to his car, drove somewhere to dispose of the evidence and drove back to the apartment and then called 911.

Twenty-three year-old David Haughn told police he left their apartment around 7:00 p.m. to check on his car and when he returned 20 minutes later she was dead.

Woods was an aspiring Broadway dancer from Columbus, Ohio. Haughn is also from Columbus, Ohio. It's not known how long the two had been living together in New York City. Woods' father is the director of the Ohio State Marching Band.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3673014

nanandjim said:
I agree. The bf probably killed the girl, cleaned up, changed clothes and then went down to his car, drove somewhere to dispose of the evidence and drove back to the apartment and then called 911.
I wonder why the bf lied about her being an exotic dancer? That seems strange, since that could easily be checked out.

I wonder how long these two had been going out?

I agree that it sounds like the bf cleaned himself up after killing her, probably thought that would keep him from being a suspect.

It will be interesting to see if the bloody footprints found in the apartment belong to the bf.

Marilynilpa said:
I wonder why the bf lied about her being an exotic dancer? ...
The only thing that I can think of is he said this to put her in a bad light and to make it seem like her killer could have been one of her customers.

I agree that it will be interesting to see if the bloody footprints just happen to be the same size as the boyfriend's.

Marilynilpa said:
I wonder why the bf lied about her being an exotic dancer? That seems strange, since that could easily be checked out.

I agree that it sounds like the bf cleaned himself up after killing her, probably thought that would keep him from being a suspect.

It will be interesting to see if the bloody footprints found in the apartment belong to the bf.
One news article states that she moved to New York 3.5 years ago...so if she is 21 that would have made her barely 18 years old when she moved there from Columbus Ohio....the boyfriend is said to be from the same state....I have a feeling he moved with her or shortly after....perhaps she was getting into a classy "social" circle in New York with her aspiring to be a Broadway dancer....maybe boyfriend felt left out....so therefore instead of talking about what a "fine" lady she was he set out to defame her by saying she was a topless dancer....this in order to throw suspicion off himself and somehow justify his actions......IMO

My thing is this. If I walked into my apartment and found my Girlfriend laying dead on the floor I would have blood all over me from going to her and trying to help her. especially if we were having a "Lovely Evening"

:bang:

RockyMountains said:
My thing is this. If I walked into my apartment and found my Girlfriend laying dead on the floor I would have blood all over me from going to her and trying to help her. especially if we were having a "Lovely Evening"

:bang:
True...your post made me wonder why Dan Horowitz didn't have blood on him though after he discovered his wife Pam....Dan said he touched her...but being an attorney he probably knew what he could or could not touch or what to avoid that would contaminate the scene:waitasec: .....

I know I would be gathering my loved one up in my arms (for one last hug) and to also listen for any signs of life.....so I am sure I would have blood all over me too....

I have had to move my car before outside of our building and it doesnt take me 20 minutes.....

michelle said:
I have had to move my car before outside of our building and it doesnt take me 20 minutes.....
So this news article states his car was parked next to a fire hydrant....was this the reason he moved the car or did he move it and park it next to a fire hydrant and leave it there :waitasec: ...

Cops were expected to search the boyfriend's car, an Oldsmobile with Ohio license plates, which was parked next to a fire hydrant on E. 86th St. at First Ave., near the four-story apartment building where the victim lived.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/369731p-314532c.html

Also what is up with the two Katherine's both 21 one spelt Katherine and the other spelt Catherine....is this the newspaper getting the spelling wrong, and the circumstances wrong...saying one worked as a topless dancer and the other was an aspiring broadway dancer....sorry that last article really messed me up....??

Marilynilpa said:

I bet he lied about the exotic dancer part so he seems less of a suspect. When you hear exotic dancer the first thing that comes to my mind is a pychotic customer who REALLY liked her. My money is on the bf.

Found By Boyfriend Who Shared Residence

(CBS) NEW YORK Police are investigating the death of a 21-year-old woman found with her neck slashed in her Upper East Side apartment. The victim, Catherine Woods, was found on the floor of her bedroom apartment at 355 East 86th Street, where she lived with her boyfriend David Haughn.

It was around 7 p.m. Sunday when Haughn called police to say he had found Woods, wearing a jogging suit, lying face-down in a pool of blood in their bedroom. Neighbors had heard screaming. Woods' neck and hand were cut. The room was ransacked, but there was no sign of forced entry.

Police questioned the boyfriend most of the day, into Monday afternoon.

Woods was from Columbus, Ohio, where her father, Jon Woods, directs The Ohio State University marching band. "She danced since she was three,” Woods says. “She went to New York to pursue her dream."

What the family may not have known, was that the dancing included some racy stuff. Anthony Regina says Woods worked at the men's club "Privileges" on West 23rd Street, as an exotic dancer.

"I know she worked here from April through July and she worked as an entertainer,” says Regina, a manager at Privileges. "It's horrible to think that one of our girls, that that could happen to."

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_332162523.html

mysteriew said:
An aspiring Broadway dancer was found stabbed to death in her Upper east Side apartment last night, police said.
Catherine Woods was discovered face down in a pool of blood on the floor of her bedroom. She had been knifed in the neck and hand, and the room was in "disarray, " police said.

Her boyfriend told cops she was an exotic dancer, police sources said.

But her parents in Columbus, Ohio, told The Post their beautiful 21-year-old daughter was a dancer who had appeared in an off-Broadway production called "Privilege."
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/58226.htm[/QUOTE]

Aww, I had missed this from the story before
"The couple's Chihuahua was also in the apartment."

:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members