Teen With Peanut Allergy Dies After Kiss

Summergirl

Reaction score
Website
www.lousmit.com
Teen With Peanut Allergy Dies After Kiss 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.

Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.

An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/ap_on_re_ca/canada_deadly_kiss

EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

How sad... It is very scary for me to think of this, as my 2 1/2 year old son has a peanut allergy....

How sad for the young lady's family to lose her so young. I'm also thinking of her boyfriend. I can't imagine how he's feeling about what happened.

lisag said:
How sad... It is very scary for me to think of this, as my 2 1/2 year old son has a peanut allergy....

My soon to be 19 year old son has a peanut allergy too. It is so horrifying to hear of this happening because I just constantly think of scenarios like this to discuss with him....."Matt, if you're at someone's house and they offer you a snack or a meal, be SURE to tell them you are highly allergic to peanuts." "Matt, if you're out with your girlfriend, don't kiss her if she's had peanuts recently" Matt, don't eat fried foods if they've used peanut oil...ASK them Matt, be sure they didn't use peanut oil." He is an adult now, and I can't watch him as closely as when he was little, and I am so afraid of something like this happening, just a scenario I haven't thought of and he won't think to take precautions.....

kgeaux said:
My soon to be 19 year old son has a peanut allergy too. It is so horrifying to hear of this happening because I just constantly think of scenarios like this to discuss with him....."Matt, if you're at someone's house and they offer you a snack or a meal, be SURE to tell them you are highly allergic to peanuts." "Matt, if you're out with your girlfriend, don't kiss her if she's had peanuts recently" Matt, don't eat fried foods if they've used peanut oil...ASK them Matt, be sure they didn't use peanut oil." He is an adult now, and I can't watch him as closely as when he was little, and I am so afraid of something like this happening, just a scenario I haven't thought of and he won't think to take precautions.....

Good heavens - make sure he never tries any Thai food!

lisag said:
------------------

Lisag,I know what you mean.Our 5 year old grt.grandson is sooo allergic to peanuts and eggs.The school has two epipens,teacher has one and so does the Principal.It is a very frightening thing.

My niece was recently hospitalized due to her peanut allergy. She ate a non-peanut cookie that had been baked alongside peanut butter cookies (from the school cafeteria). The school nurse had an epipen but wasn't sure if she should use it before the paramedics got there. The doctor told her, "Next time, use it."

oh my god, so now you have to ask not only if something has peanuts, but also if it has been NEAR anything ELSE that has been made with peanuts?? that must be really tough for those with allergies, as well as those reposnible for answering the question!

does anyone know why this allergy seems to have exploded just in the last generation or so?? i don't ever rememeber hearing about it until recently.. when i was a kid, everyone ate peanuts & peanut butter all the time.
i heard that it might be because of peanut products used in baby formula? don't know if that's true or not....

Its horrible. I have a son that is 14 months old, HIGHLY allerigic to peanuts, stopped breathing after having honey nut cheerios for the first time. Its extremly aggrivating because anytime we go anywhere that has peanuts or peanut products, i dont let him eat/touch anything that I dont provide. ITs easy for someone to say "I didnt touch those peanut items and then touch this or that" but how many wash hands after each touch? How many wash dishes good enough that there isnt residue?

Angels_Not_Forgotten said:
Its horrible. I have a son that is 14 months old, HIGHLY allerigic to peanuts, stopped breathing after having honey nut cheerios for the first time. Its extremly aggrivating because anytime we go anywhere that has peanuts or peanut products, i dont let him eat/touch anything that I dont provide. ITs easy for someone to say "I didnt touch those peanut items and then touch this or that" but how many wash hands after each touch? How many wash dishes good enough that there isnt residue?

My daughter is highly allergic and even reacts to the smell of peanuts. When she was 4, she reacted when a jar of peanut butter was opened from all the way across a large room in church. She had a severe reaction one time when we walked into a Chinese Restaurant.

She's almost 16 now and still allergic. This story scares me to death.

reb said:
oh my god, so now you have to ask not only if something has peanuts, but also if it has been NEAR anything ELSE that has been made with peanuts?? that must be really tough for those with allergies, as well as those reposnible for answering the question!

does anyone know why this allergy seems to have exploded just in the last generation or so?? i don't ever rememeber hearing about it until recently.. when i was a kid, everyone ate peanuts & peanut butter all the time.
i heard that it might be because of peanut products used in baby formula? don't know if that's true or not....

This allergy has been around for a long time. My pediatrician told me it has caused many deaths of children over the years. It may be that children are surviving long enough to reproduce more often than in days before Epi-pens and that's why we're seeing more of it now.

Two of my daughters are highly allergic to milk products and one is allergic to peanuts as well. They didn't drink baby formula, they were nursed exclusively by me.

kgeaux said:

It is scary when they are older with these allergies. My two teen girls have severe food allergies. I embarrassed them by telling them to make their boyfriends brush their teeth before kissing them.

I have heard that peanut allergies can also be caused by introducing foods made with peanuts too early in a baby/toddlers diet. Their little bodies aren't ready for it yet.

My sons pre-k has a STRICT policy on NO PEANUTS......Well my hubby didnt understand why because he said " i grew up on pb&j" it wasnt until i had to explain the danger of it, its horrifying, i work at a hospital in the peds dept a lot and it can kill you!!! Its very scary, i think if i were dating somebody with the allergy i would treat myself as if i had it as well just because of the kissing ect....

In our elementary school they cluster the kids w/ the peanut allergies and have them in the same class.....my daughter is in that class this year and one of the little girls can just touch peanut residue and have a reaction. It is so scary. I can't imagine the constant worry of the parents of these kids! You have to be diligent and read all labels on everything!

I was just reading an article about this in the paper yesterday. One study done seems to help prove the theory that because of all the antibacterial products used today, our immune system has very little chance to build up resistance not only to germs, but also to allergies.

pjop said:
In our elementary school they cluster the kids w/ the peanut allergies and have them in the same class.....my daughter is in that class this year and one of the little girls can just touch peanut residue and have a reaction. It is so scary. I can't imagine the constant worry of the parents of these kids! You have to be diligent and read all labels on everything!

I think that's a great idea. I have read articles where school systems have made children with food allergies be home schooled. They won't let them enroll.

My daughter doesn't have to touch or taste peanuts to react. All she has to do is breathe near them.

teonspaleprincess said:
I was just reading an article about this in the paper yesterday. One study done seems to help prove the theory that because of all the antibacterial products used today, our immune system has very little chance to build up resistance not only to germs, but also to allergies.

If this is the case, it will only get worse. My family has had severe allergies long before anti-bacterial soaps came out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back