Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
The trial of Douglas Garland, accused in the murders of 5 year old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes in June of 2014.

attachment.php

(image from CBC files)

Garland triple murder trial learns of bloody footprints found in Liknes home

[...]

Proceedings began on the fifth day of the trial with CPS Detective Clark Budd, who was a part of the Homicide Unit when it was called to investigate the triple murder. Budd told the court that he found a bloody footprint found in the garage of the home that did not match any of the shoes owned by the first responders or Jennifer O'Brien

[...]

Gallen told the court that no shoes were found on the Garland property, but a shoebox for a pair of shoes that could have matched the footprint was found at the scene.

She told the court that another officer purchased the same shoes so she could determine if they made the impressions

[...]

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

Rules Etiquette & Information

Nancy Hixt Twitter

Reid Fiest Twitter

Kevin Martin Twitter

Meghan Grant Twitter

Kathleen Petty Twitter

Val Fortney Twitter

Thread #1
Thread #2

Well that's just it, he was not wearing the shoes that were used in the abduction when LE took them from him. Those shoes, the Dr Scholl's ones, were never found. Even though they would have been much newer and in better condition than the ones that he was wearing when first arrested.

MOO

Thank you, I was just about to make that very point. This is why the Dr.Scholls shoebox is so important - to show DG had purchased the same shoe as was worn by the Killer. He must have disposed of the actual shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That has been my question too. Did this man have any significant relationship with ANYONE other than family after childhood? Is there anyone who can verify that this "obsessive hobby" of collecting what does appear to be BDSM paraphernalia was in fact for these purposes? Anyone who has participated with him at any time either before or after his incarceration? Whether that be a paid or voluntary encounter?

I guess we'll find out about that if he mounts a defence? A lot of this evidence can be explained away, but only with some solid evidence because the totality of what we're hearing about and seeing with our own eyes is going to be very difficult to defend.

MOO

ETA: In regard to the diapers, the "package" that they found was from the Foothills Hospital. Considering those can also be purchased either on line or in person, what might be the significance of that? And yes...there is a diaper fetish. My first encounter with that was in the Dylan Redwine case. Google that with caution. I have nothing with regards to the pink reusable pair. :notgood:

Exactly!

In the last thread Kamille brought up the significance of the package of adult diapers coming from a hospital. I thought this was strange too when I read the tweet. Wouldn't it be easier to just go out and buy a package of adult diapers. How does one get Hospital diapers? Did he steal them? I haven't Googled it but I am wondering in the adult diaper fetish world if it is more desirable to have certain adult diapers. Like maybe it is more exciting to have Hospital diapers over regular store-bought ones. I never in my life thought I would put so much thought into this topic!

In the last thread Kamille brought up the significance of the package of adult diapers coming from a hospital. I thought this was strange too when I read the tweet. Wouldn't it be easier to just go out and buy a package of adult diapers. How does one get Hospital diapers? Did he steal them? I haven't Googled it but I am wondering in the adult diaper fetish world if it is more desirable to have certain adult diapers. Like maybe it is more exciting to have Hospital diapers over regular store-bought ones. I never in my life thought I would put so much thought into this topic!

The ones he acquired are reusable. To be honest I've never shopped for adult diapers but I've always assumed that the Drug Store brand were disposable. Maybe reusable are harder to find. I'm surprised a hospital would have them. You would think they would prefer disposable. I'm lost in this whole diaper thing. It's just so out there. I can't believe we're talking about it.

ETA: They are easily found on line and shipped discreetly. Not cheap though. My guess is he stole them.

The burst-into-tears-moment for me today was when Oxton got choked up as he explained the arduous work of sifting through the ashes for months.
There is a special place in heaven for LE who take on these horrific tasks in the interest of justice and protection of society.
IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't caught up on anything from trial the last 2 days, but, the glimpses of what I have caught on the CBC live blog has made me break into a sweat and have heart palpitations.

WTF

I was under no disillusion that this was going to be anything but a horror story. The mention of Sully hitting on the woodchipper, reminded me of Zahra Baker.

Everything I have caught today, reminds me of Silence of the Lambs.

I have no words, friends.

Pray to your God for the family, friends, community and all the LEO's touched by this case.

Omg.

I wondered how he got those from the hospital too.

Did he enjoy stealing stuff too and maybe when he was at his physchiatric appointments he may have stole stuff?
I wondered where he got a lot of the things he had and maybe some of the stuff was stolen from the hospital. Things like Chloroform, the tanks of Liquid Nitrogen, Straight Jacket and things like that.

LE should ask that particular hospital administration about any things that may have come up missing that could match the list of things they found at his farm.

The burst-into-tears-moment for me today was when Oxton got choked up as he explained the arduous work of sifting through the ashes for months.
There is a special place in heaven for LE who take on these horrific tasks in the interest of justice and protection of society.
IMO

Sent from my Laptop using Tapatalk

There certainly is. My father is a 30 year veteran of the CPS and they sure do have to deal with some awful stuff. Then they go home and have to leave work behind in order to function somewhat normal with their families. Cases like these are so time consuming, stressful, and heart breaking for Police (as well as numerous others).

I hate Douglas Garland...what a horrible, sick, psycho.

The ones he acquired are reusable. To be honest I've never shopped for adult diapers but I've always assumed that the Drug Store brand were disposable. Maybe reusable are harder to find. I'm surprised a hospital would have them. You would think they would prefer disposable. I'm lost in this whole diaper thing. It's just so out there. I can't believe we're talking about it.

ETA: They are easily found on line and shipped discreetly. Not cheap though. My guess is he stole them.

I'll have to go back and check but I don't remember that the package found out in the shed were reusable diapers. I know the one found in the office closet was but did they state that the whole package of 50 was as well? I didn't think hospitals used disposable ones. :waitasec:

Kamille - I can't remember if the farm was once a working farm, I kind of think so but not sure. We talked about back at the beginning, I'll see if I can track down an answer for you.

Kamille - I can't remember if the farm was once a working farm, I kind of think so but not sure. We talked about back at the beginning, I'll see if I can track down an answer for you.

Thanks JadeSleuth. With no apparent barn I would assume it was never a livestock farm so there would be no reason to have veterinary supplies, but I also wondered if it was ever used for crops to explain any of the chemical supplies. And since it is 40 acres, did they ever rent any of it to any local person to harvest a crop on? Is there anyone who would have had access to those buildings for any legitimate reason other than the family?

TIA

One thing I found interesting from today is the bone fragments that were found were much larger than I thought they would be.

They had some pretty large chunks and so I wondered if LE could get DNA from them even though they appeared to be burned. I am sure we would hear about it in the trial if they managed to get DNA testing on those.

Well for their intended use, reusable diapers are much more cost effective. So a hospital would likely prefer that over disposable.

I can't find anything that mentions whether the farm was once a working farm, or still is a working farm. This article from The Globe and Mail describes the crops grown nearby, and states that the Garland family has lived there for more than 40 years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ggle-with-grim-puzzle/article19682368/?page=1

It doesn't appear to have been a livestock farm, because there weren't any signs of feed, hay, straw, etc., in the buildings. The Blood Stop bottle looked rather clean too, unless DG tidied it up.

I can't find anything that mentions whether the farm was once a working farm, or still is a working farm. This article from The Globe and Mail describes the crops grown nearby, and states that the Garland family has lived there for more than 40 years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ggle-with-grim-puzzle/article19682368/?page=1

It doesn't appear to have been a livestock farm, because there weren't any signs of feed, hay, straw, etc., in the buildings. The Blood Stop bottle looked rather clean too, unless DG tidied it up.

On day 1 of the trial, DG's parents stated they've never had animals on the farm.

Well for their intended use, reusable diapers are much more cost effective. So a hospital would likely prefer that over disposable.

There is no way a hospital would prefer reusable over disposable diapers IMO. For every reason we could possibly think of, and I'm sure we could come up with a lot. That is definitely not an area that a hospital is likely to cut costs in. And I've had a few experiences with family members in hospitals who required adult diapers and all were disposable.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member