Found Deceased CA - Dawson Hartwig, 20, Lake Arrowhead area, 27 Jan 2017

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Son of San Bernardino County fire chief missing after walk in Lake Arrowhead area
okihr5-dawsonhartwig.jpg

The son of San Bernardino County Fire Chief Mark Hartwig, Dawson Hartwig, has gone missing in the Lake Arrowhead area after going on a hike by himself.

"He never came back from his walk," Fire Chief Mark Hartwig said.

http://m.pe.com/articles/hartwig-824286-arrowhead-missing.html

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

I hate that. Makes me worry that he might have intended to harm himself. Sometimes being 20 yrs old is a tough time, emotionally....

It always worries me when a kid that age leaves without their cell phone.

It always worries me when a kid that age leaves without their cell phone.

Yes. Me too. My child is in that age range and I think her body would somehow malfunction and stop working properly if she didn't have her phone with her.

I really hope the phone situation doesn't mean anything except that he just didn't want to deal with his phone blowing up every 30 seconds, or sooner. Hope they find him safe and bring him home soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is A LOT of snow up there right now. I have a guest staying at my hotel who just came down the mountain to get away from all of the crowds and unsafe drivers. It dumped way more snow than usual this past month. I worry he could have slipped on ice and injured himself while out walking :( The good thing is that things are getting a little warmer this week so if he is out in the elements maybe that will help. worried about this kid :( If he grew up with a firechief dad up there he might be used to just romping around and having confidence to walk out further in areas where other people might not.

I wonder if they will release cause of death.

This is just heartbreaking. I, too, have a son this age. He's actually 21 as of today. Our young people dying and disappearing...I can't find the words to accurately express how much this bothers me. I don't recall my parents having to worry or think about these things so much with my siblings and I. I don't understand what is going on. Seems like this drastic increase grew as social media blew up, but that may be an unfair comment. As always, just my personal opinion. I worry about my boys all the time. I can't imagine the anguish and heartbreak this family is dealing with. God bless them, each one, and give them some kind of peace in the days to come if that's even possible. I think losing a child...nothing worse comes to mind. Heartbreaking.

Nooo, not how I wanted to see this one end :( Rest in peace, Dawson.

I was so hoping for a different outcome, as I'm sure everyone was. He was just so young. These cases really make you realize that you never know when you'll see someone for the last time.

not good :( found deceased

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-chief-son-found-20170129-story.html

Hartwig was found in 30 feet of water near the Arrowhead yacht club, officials said.

I was worried this happened :(

Rest in Peace sweet young man.

Now how did he get into the water? Maybe slipped and fell in while walking along one of those boardwalks that goes straight though the lake? or maybe slipped off one of those piers at the yacht club? Hm.

If you look at the shirt he is wearing in his missing pic it seems he was on the Water Polo team. He felt quite comfortable romping around bodies of water possibly...

I hope he didn't try to swim. Sometimes kids do it as a dare to themselves when it is cold out. I know I did as a kid.

http://www.pe.com/articles/hartwig-824370-dawson-friends.html
[FONT=&amp]Friends, relatives of fire chief's deceased son inspired to 'Love Like Dawson'

Dawson Hartwig, 20, was found dead early Sunday in Lake Arrowhead
RELATED
Fire chief's son found dead in Lake Arrowhead

1 of 2

okm9js-b88887238z.120170130153348000g5bldp4n.10.jpg

Dawson Hartwig, son of San Bernardino County Fire Department Chief Mark Hartwig, is remembered as being full of love, and friends with everyone. The 20-year-old was found dead Sunday morning, Jan. 29, in Lake Arrowhead.
COURTESY OF HARTWIG FAMILY

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]By ALI TADAYON / STAFF WRITER

Published: Jan. 30, 2017 Updated: Jan. 31, 2017 6:57 p.m.

Though friends and relatives of Dawson Hartwig – son of San Bernardino County Fire Chief Mark Hartwig – were devastated when he was found dead Sunday, Jan. 29, in Lake Arrowhead, they were inspired by how he lived his life: full of love.
“I call him a lover, from the time he was old enough to smile and hug, he would just love on people,” Hartwig said in an interview Monday. “He always had a skip in his step.”
Hartwig made a post on Twitter on Sunday hours after his son was found dead around 1:10 a.m. about 30 feet underwater near the Lake Arrowhead Yacht Club that included the hashtag #LoveLikeDawson. By Monday afternoon, hundreds of people had shared messages and photos with the hashtag on Twitter and Facebook; a Facebook page with the same name had close to 2,000 likes. A group of friends even wrote the phrase with string on a Milliken Avenue overpass fence over the 210 Freeway in Rancho Cucamonga.
Hartwig said seeing the community’s love for his son has warmed his and his family’s hearts.
“I’m seeing so many posts from so many people, the neat thing is that so many people thought they were his best friends, including us,” Hartwig said. “That just goes to show you, he didn’t have a friend that he didn’t consider his best.”
Dawson grew up in Rancho Cucamonga, where the Hartwigs still live. He graduated from Etiwanda High School, where he played water polo. He walked on to the water polo team at California Baptist University, his father said.
Dawson took a break from water polo after suffering a neck injury, and was attending classes at Riverside Community College. He was working at the Fontana Park Aquatic Center as a lifeguard and planning to transfer back to Cal Baptist in the fall to complete his degree in sports marketing.
Dawson loved hiking, snowboarding and all things outdoors. But more than anything, Hartwig said, Dawson loved being with his friends. He is survived by his mother, father, two brothers and two sisters.
Hartwig said the family still has many questions about what led to Dawson’s death. He left a cabin that he and his friends were renting on Friday without a cellphone and warm clothing. His friends reported him missing at 10:44 a.m. Saturday; he was found dead about 14 hours later.
But as the family adjusts to life without Dawson, they hope to focus on the way he left an impression on everyone. Hartwig pledged on Twitter to learn from his son, and love his neighbors as well as those different from him in the same way his son would have.
“In the short 20 years that he lived, I feel like he touched more lives than I’ll ever touch,” Hartwig said. “That’s comforting for us right now. So much of the way we treat each other and others was from the way he loved us.”
Staff writer Beatriz Valenzuela contributed to this report.
Contact the writer: 951-368-9284, atadayon@scng.com, @PE_alitadayon

[/FONT]

attachment.php

DAWSON RAY HARTWIG
Age 20, of Rancho Cucamonga, CA, went to be with his Heavenly Father on Friday, January 27, 2017. Born in Loma Linda, CA, May 23, 1996 to Mark and Holly Hartwig. Dawson graduated with honors from Etiwanda High School and was a 3rd year student pursuing a Sports Marketing degree at California Baptist University and Riverside Community College. Dawson and his family are members of Water of Life Community Church in Fontana, Ca. Dawson was not only smart but creative. He was musically gifted playing guitar and composing music. He also expressed himself through his art and drawings. Dawson was 6'6" and loved basketball. He lettered in water polo at Etiwanda High School where his #3 swim cap will be retired. He then played on the water polo team at CBU. He was well known to those around him for his constant humor and genuine heart. His unconditional love of others lives on.
Visit the @LoveLikeDawson Facebook page to see the wonderful impact Dawson made on his family, friends and others. Dawson is survived by his parents Mark & Holly Hartwig; two brothers Tucker and Jeremiah; twin sisters Noelle and Samantha; grandparents Betty Hartwig of Las Vegas, NV and Jeremiah Dawson of Rutherfordton, NC and numerous aunts, uncles & cousins.
The memorial service will be held at Water of Life Community Church, 7625 East Ave., Fontana, CA 92336, Tuesday, February 7th at 11:00am.
We invite anyone who would like to come celebrate Dawson's life and Dawson's love with us. Following the service, there will be a reception at 1:30pm at the Jessie Turner Center, 15556 Summit Ave., Fontana, CA 92336. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come to the reception afterwards to share more stories about Dawson's life. Here, the firefighters will be serving lunch so bring an appetite. Dawson surely would.
If you feel led to give anything in his memory or in lieu of flowers, please donate to Water of Life and write "Global Outreach" in memo section. Dawson had planned on going on a mission trip this summer to Thailand. Monies raised will go to reach children around the world which would be Dawson's desire. Dawson had a heart for others no matter who they were or where they were from. The more we hear about Dawson from everyone he touched, the more we understand how big his heart was. Love Like Dawson isn't just a slogan. It is our response to his life and our way of choosing love in every situation. Dawson's love is unconditional, it is loyal, it is forgiving, it is warm, it is free. We aren't able to love like this on our own. Christ is the one who can love through us in all situations. Today's world could use a lot more unconditional love. Let's love like Dawson. #LoveLikeDawson

Published in Press-Enterprise on Feb. 5, 2017- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pe...&pid=183988971&fhid=8516#sthash.jrvSkCZp.dpuf

Attachments

• hartwig.jpeg
    hartwig.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 134
Does anyone know if the autopsy report has been released? His death is still a mystery. He was a swimmer in high school, yet he died from drowning...weird, right?

Not that I can see.
It's very strange that he would even go in to the lake when it was freezing outside (he was not dressed for it), and, the water is verycold.

I thought we would hear more by now from the friends at the cabin. He was seen earlier at the Lk Arrowhead Village, and acting very strange which called attention to him. The Village is almost next door to where he was found.

If he were drinking, it would have worn off by that time. I guess it's always possible he was under the influence of something since witnesses said he acted "strangely".

I was surprised it took his friends at the cabin so long to report him missing.

http://www.mountain-news.com/news/article_0eeb9c28-e96f-11e6-9c49-d3a18da9835d.html

I was worried this happened :(

Rest in Peace sweet young man.

Now how did he get into the water? Maybe slipped and fell in while walking along one of those boardwalks that goes straight though the lake? or maybe slipped off one of those piers at the yacht club? Hm.

If you look at the shirt he is wearing in his missing pic it seems he was on the Water Polo team. He felt quite comfortable romping around bodies of water possibly...

I hope he didn't try to swim. Sometimes kids do it as a dare to themselves when it is cold out. I know I did as a kid.

It's doubtful he slipped on any boards, or on the docks.
He likely jumped in thinking it would be funny? Maybe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back