OR OR - Union Co, Finley Creek Jane Doe, UnsFem 14-25, UP11902, preg, on wooded hillside, Aug'78

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
The Doe Network

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1258ufor.html

No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: August 27, 1978
Location of Discovery: Finley Creek, Union County, Oregon
Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 14-18 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'1" to 5'3"
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Hair Color: Light brown to blonde
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was pregnant, and likely in her 6th to 8th month of pregnancy.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: A halter/bra, red Catalina pants (size 15/16 - Juniors?) - which show evidence of possible length alteration, ankle-high lace up shoes, and remnants of clothing that consisted of red cloth, white cloth, and zippers.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Case History

The victim's body was found in a wooded hillside 18 miles north of La Grande.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Union County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: 971-673-8220
Agency Case Number: ME: 78-1865
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #11902
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

NAMUS https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11902

I think this is probably a teen who wasn't reported missing. She might have ran away because her parents were not happy with the pregnancy. So it could be that her family never reported her missing.
Could be, but it also could be that she has been reported missing, but whatever county she was reported missing in hasn't entered all their old cases into Namus yet.

The wooden platform sandals always made me think that they got the date wrong and she was Swamp Mountain Jane Doe
I don't know. If I had to make an educated guess I think there's a good possibility SMJD could be Niki Britten. I also think Roxanne Sims is a strong potential candidate for Fly Creek Jane Doe.

A bit off topic by now, but the main reason I doubt that Roxanne is SMJD is because when she was found (July 1976) she likely had been deceased at the site for a number of years; possibly as many as ten. Even if the last known contact with her was off by a year or two when it was reported in 1977, it seems unlikely it could be that far off. Swamp Mountain Jane Doe's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?113916-OR-Sweet-Home-Swamp-Mountain-Doe-WhtFem-762UFOR-18-40-Jul-76&highlight=swamp+mountain.

I'm wondering about the forested area where she was found, is it a popular one for hiking/other outdoor activities or is it a spot that only locals would know and make use of? Union County (as well as most of eastern Oregon in general) doesn't seem to have as much going on compared to other parts farther west; even if you're just passing through to go somewhere else, it seems like an odd place to end up. Finley Creek is approximately 20 miles north from La Grande, the closest big city with about 13,000 people today and probably less at that time. The other nearby towns have only a couple hundred people each. If she was from that area and had been reported she definitely wouldn't still be a Doe, as there probably aren't many pregnant girls of that age and description that go missing from a fairly small community at the same time. I just can't shake the feeling that this is an unreported missing local girl.

<mod snip> I wonder if anyone posting <mod snip> is from that area and maybe even remembers when she was found and can weigh in on this; Local insight is always the best with these kinds of cases.

Unlikely, but maybe Lynn Luray http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/luray_lynn.html missing from California since 1964 http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2880dfca.html? She is believed have left the area with an adult male. She was 15 at the time, around 5' tall and 100 pounds, and had light brown hair. She wasn't last known to be pregnant but it's entirely possible that was why she left to begin with; there's also no indication that she died right away after she went missing and it could have occurred afterwards. There were rumors posted elsewhere on the internet about her case, one specifically that the man she was thought to be accompanying had ties to Oregon and they might have gone there after leaving Long Beach.

That's pretty possible. They only say years when it says how long the body was out there for, so if Lynn was pregnant, ran away with the baby daddy, then was murdered it'd be about 13ish years.

Lynn was super tiny though, her high end height estimate was 2 inches shorter than the height estimate on the body, but I've seen them be up to six inches off before. She also has light brown hair that could have turned blonde after a decade in the elements.

They say on her Namus file that she's still with the Union County Medical Examiner's office. I say call it in.

That's pretty possible. They only say years when it says how long the body was out there for, so if Lynn was pregnant, ran away with the baby daddy, then was murdered it'd be about 13ish years.

Lynn was super tiny though, her high end height estimate was 2 inches shorter than the height estimate on the body, but I've seen them be up to six inches off before. She also has light brown hair that could have turned blonde after a decade in the elements.

They say on her Namus file that she's still with the Union County Medical Examiner's office. I say call it in.

One problem with trying to compare these two, Lynn has no dentals but DNA on file while Finley Creek Jane Doe has only dentals and no DNA....

*Very* unlikely given the distance, but I was looking at people missing from Canada for another UID case and came across a Debra Deane Richardson,17, missing from Gimli, Manitoba since October 1972 http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2330dfmb.html. She was pregnant at the time of her disappearance, how far along is unclear. Her stats list her as having blonde hair and blue eyes, being between 5'2"-5'4" tall, and weighing around 115 pounds. Not many details available but the few that are tell an odd story. Debra wasn't reported missing for approximately ten years after she was last seen and I don't believe the report was filed by a family member, at least initially. She was there visiting her brother and had been staying with him about three months when he claims that the last time he saw her, she told him that she planned on hitchhiking to Winnipeg and he dropped her off by the highway so she could. This was the last contact any of her family had with her and no one has seen her since. Debra doesn't currently have a thread but is mentioned in a few others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back