CA CA - Marin Co, Unksex&race UP11786, 0-1, infant remains in shallow grave, Jan'02

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP 11786

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/11786

Unidentified Body/Remains (Unknown Sex & Race)

Found January 23, 2002 in Marin County, CA
Body Condition: Not recognizable - complete skeleton

Probable year of death: to

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 0-1
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: 64 estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing:
Huggies brand disposable diaper; Small pajama bottoms "Hopscotch" brand 0-6 months with pink paw print
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories:
Coleman sleeping bag; multi-colored baby blanket

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete

Case History:
Skeletonized remains believed to be an infant/ young child found in shallow grave by hikers.

How heartbreaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am surprised how many companies are called "Hopscotch" however, I have only found one (so far) that actually uses the name on the tag of the clothes; it would be nice if there was a pic on NAMUS to compare! I sent an email to the company I linked below asking if they made the type of pants listed above. I hope they answer and I will let you guys know when/if they do.

https://www.ilovehopscotch.com/

There was another UID also found in Mill Valley back in '74. That UID was a small child who had been dead for as many as two years before he was discovered.

This might be far-fetched, but I'm wondering if these two might be related to one another.

This would suggest an exceptionally long postmortem interval (28-30 years) for the thread topic UID, although no estimated year of death is listed on NamUS. Maybe one of the reasons why we can't find much about Hopscotch brand diapers is that the brand no longer exists? I'm honestly not sure. Either way, this is definitely a sad case.

Our Story

The 'hopscotch' company mentioned above was founded in 2013 so there's no way they manufactured the pants the UID was wearing. I really wish we knew more about this case... This is sad all around.

The weight is odd too... No way 64 pounds is accurate if the baby was wearing 0-6 month sized pants. I'm no expert on babies but 6.4 seems small for anything besides a newborn. I was born at exactly 6 pounds and was very small.

Posting more 'hopscotch' brands and seeing if I can find anything.

Definitely not:
Hopscotch Kids- Founded in 2005
{{appCtrl.getMetaInfo('og_title')}}- Founded in 2011 according to Wikipedia
Hopscotch Kids - Visit Bend - Opened in 2013
Hopscotch Clothing AB - Detailed information - Largestcompanies - Established in 2007

Maaaybe??
Hopscotch Baby Gifts and Children's Gifts- Seems to be the most promising. They've been open for 28 years, they seem to have only one store though and it's in NJ.
Shop childrens clothing online | Shop kids clothing online - Company is based in Ireland but has been around since 2000
Hopscotch - Aptos, CA - Doesn't even have its own website and can't tell how long it's been around for, but it's located in California

Not enough info:
Hopscotch - Can't find when it was founded, but it's only one store in Hawaii to my knowledge
Hopscotch Designs : Moxie and Mabel | Vintage Retro Girls Clothing - Can't tell where it's located or how long it's been around
Unique Children's Clothing | Kids Clothes Online - Can't tell when it was founded, but seems to be a small business in the UK. They also only have clothing for children aged 1 or above, at least on the website

Maybe one of the reasons why we can't find much about Hopscotch brand diapers is that the brand no longer exists?
Baby was wearing Huggies diapers and Hopscotch pajama bottoms.

That "0-6 months" label on the Hopscotch pants is unusual sizing for baby clothes. In the US, baby clothes tend to be labeled in three-month increments at best (i.e., 0-3 months, 9-12 months, etc.) or in a single size (12 months) and I don't think I've ever seen anything labeled "0-6 months." There's a huge difference in size between an average newborn and a six-month-old.

Understanding baby clothes sizes | finder.com

Also, per the Kimberly-Clark website, Huggies diapers were introduced in 1978 and available nationwide by 1982.

www.kimberly-clark.com › productevol_disposablediaper_umbracofile.pdf

I wish NamUs included photos of the baby blanket, clothing and other items found with the UID. If the blanket was mass-produced, I'd bet WSers could recognize it and at least then we'd have a rough idea of the earliest the UID had been left there.

That "0-6 months" label on the Hopscotch pants is unusual sizing for baby clothes. In the US, baby clothes tend to be labeled in three-month increments at best (i.e., 0-3 months, 9-12 months, etc.) or in a single size (12 months) and I don't think I've ever seen anything labeled "0-6 months." There's a huge difference in size between an average newborn and a six-month-old.

Understanding baby clothes sizes | finder.com

Also, per the Kimberly-Clark website, Huggies diapers were introduced in 1978 and available nationwide by 1982.

www.kimberly-clark.com › productevol_disposablediaper_umbracofile.pdf

I wish NamUs included photos of the baby blanket, clothing and other items found with the UID. If the blanket was mass-produced, I'd bet WSers could recognize it and at least then we'd have a rough idea of the earliest the UID had been left there.

Do you know if this is the norm in other countries? Then again, there'd be a huge size difference between a newborn and a six month old anywhere.
Maybe they're made of very stretchy material?

Bumping up case.
I assume there is a mistake on the weight. Wish they'd fix it...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back