D

Deleted member 185742

Birth Date: 2/5/1949 South St. Paul
Admit Date: 8/18/2000
Penalty-Guilty, Life sentence without parole
Victim-Kathlyn "Katie" Poirier
Year-1999
OID Number: 111324
Previous Conviction-Registered sex offender, 6 felonies and five of them sex-related and kidnapping
Other names-Donald Aubin Hutchinson, Donald Albin Pince, Donald Albin Prince, Timothy Edward Whitmore, John Fitzgerald Koppel, John Koppel, Dennis Allen Franklin

Crime Timeline-

April 4 75-Aggravated assault on 15-year-old

December 23 75-1st-degree rape and kidnapping on 14-year-old

1976-Sentenced to 40 years in prison

1979-Released after serving 3 years

October 11-81-Attempted sex assault on 13-year-old

September 19 82-4th-degree sex assault on 15-year-old

July 2 83-Kidnapping, 2nd-degree sex assault on 16-year-old

July 1983-Hitched a ride from two teenage girls north of Stillwater, he pulled out a 10-to 12-inch knife and demanded money, ordered them to the floor of the car. At one point, he put one of the girls in the trunk and drove off to a wooded area. He then marched the girls into the woods, where he tied them up with shoelaces and a towel. He blindfolded one girl and stuffed a sock in her mouth to keep her quiet. Her tongue was cut. He then threatened, choked and assaulted the girls for nearly an hour while smoking cigarettes and drinking from a bottle of cheap strawberry wine. The assault ended when a Washington County sheriff's deputy happened by, spotted the deserted car and ran a check on the license plates. Blom fled, and the girls freed themselves.

Between his March 1989 supervised release and final discharge on March 14, 1992

1991-Marriage to Grace Ann Hutchinson lasted less than a year. She got an annulment after learning about his criminal past

1992-A psychologist warned that Pince, now named Donald Albin Blom, should be supervised by a mental-health professional or there could be consequences with "potentially devastating results."

March 1993 Blom landed a job as a janitor at the Minneapolis Veterans Home. He missed stretches of work after finding in 1995 that he had throat cancer, court records show. Still, Blom was able to hide his criminal past from his employer. He also was able to keep it from his neighbors in Richfield, where he has lived the past several years with his wife, Amy Blom, and four children.

May 26, 1999-19-year-old Katie Elizabeth Poirier went missing from the D. J.'s Expressway Conoco convenience store in Moose Lake, Minnesota

August 16, 2000-convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole

Suspected Victims

Modus operandi-Changing his name and appearance after each incident

His own admission was that he often would leave for entire nights, would be using alcohol and drugs and would not remember when he came home the next day, where he had been or what he did.

We feel pretty strongly Donald Blom has been involved in a number of (killings)," said Dennis Fier, an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension who is looking into the cases.

Possible victims-

Holly Danielle Spangler (1973 - 1993)-Spangler's decomposed body was found in the woods of a Bloomington, Minnesota park. Blom was living in the area under the name "Donald Pince", and was a registered sex offender. At that time, he was one of the top suspects in the case.

Wilma Johnson-Strangulation of Wilma Johnson. Her body was found near the St. Paul Cathedral in 1983. Blom admits being at the crime scene but denies killing her.

I-70 Killer

'Modus operandi-Changing his name and appearance after each incident

His own admission was that he often would leave for entire nights, would be using alcohol and drugs and would not remember when he came home the next day, where he had been or what he did.'

If he didn't remember what he had done, why would he change his appearance?

Birth Date: 2/5/1949 South St. Paul
Admit Date: 8/18/2000
Penalty-Guilty, Life sentence without parole
Victim-Kathlyn "Katie" Poirier
Year-1999
OID Number: 111324
Previous Conviction-Registered sex offender, 6 felonies and five of them sex-related and kidnapping
Other names-Donald Aubin Hutchinson, Donald Albin Pince, Donald Albin Prince, Timothy Edward Whitmore, John Fitzgerald Koppel, John Koppel, Dennis Allen Franklin

Crime Timeline-

April 4 75-Aggravated assault on 15-year-old

December 23 75-1st-degree rape and kidnapping on 14-year-old

1976-Sentenced to 40 years in prison

1979-Released after serving 3 years

October 11-81-Attempted sex assault on 13-year-old

September 19 82-4th-degree sex assault on 15-year-old

July 2 83-Kidnapping, 2nd-degree sex assault on 16-year-old

July 1983-Hitched a ride from two teenage girls north of Stillwater, he pulled out a 10-to 12-inch knife and demanded money, ordered them to the floor of the car. At one point, he put one of the girls in the trunk and drove off to a wooded area. He then marched the girls into the woods, where he tied them up with shoelaces and a towel. He blindfolded one girl and stuffed a sock in her mouth to keep her quiet. Her tongue was cut. He then threatened, choked and assaulted the girls for nearly an hour while smoking cigarettes and drinking from a bottle of cheap strawberry wine. The assault ended when a Washington County sheriff's deputy happened by, spotted the deserted car and ran a check on the license plates. Blom fled, and the girls freed themselves.

Between his March 1989 supervised release and final discharge on March 14, 1992

1991-Marriage to Grace Ann Hutchinson lasted less than a year. She got an annulment after learning about his criminal past

1992-A psychologist warned that Pince, now named Donald Albin Blom, should be supervised by a mental-health professional or there could be consequences with "potentially devastating results."

March 1993 Blom landed a job as a janitor at the Minneapolis Veterans Home. He missed stretches of work after finding in 1995 that he had throat cancer, court records show. Still, Blom was able to hide his criminal past from his employer. He also was able to keep it from his neighbors in Richfield, where he has lived the past several years with his wife, Amy Blom, and four children.

May 26, 1999-19-year-old Katie Elizabeth Poirier went missing from the D. J.'s Expressway Conoco convenience store in Moose Lake, Minnesota

August 16, 2000-convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole

Suspected Victims

Modus operandi-Changing his name and appearance after each incident

His own admission was that he often would leave for entire nights, would be using alcohol and drugs and would not remember when he came home the next day, where he had been or what he did.

We feel pretty strongly Donald Blom has been involved in a number of (killings)," said Dennis Fier, an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension who is looking into the cases.

Possible victims-

Holly Danielle Spangler (1973 - 1993)-Spangler's decomposed body was found in the woods of a Bloomington, Minnesota park. Blom was living in the area under the name "Donald Pince", and was a registered sex offender. At that time, he was one of the top suspects in the case.

Wilma Johnson-Strangulation of Wilma Johnson. Her body was found near the St. Paul Cathedral in 1983. Blom admits being at the crime scene but denies killing her.

I-70 Killer
Wow.
I'm so over cases like this...
" sentenced to 40 years, released after 3"
WTH???
Laws all over the country NEED changing, NOW.
It sickens me to read case after case of these sickos.. so blatantly dangerous being let back into society free to do as they please taking innocent lives!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The opening post needs a link to the source.

Thank you.

ETA: From April 2016

Minnesota kidnapping-murder featured on surveillance-cam TV show
PUBLISHED: April 10, 2016 at 2:46 pm | UPDATED: April 12, 2016 at 12:33 pm

It’s been more than 15 years since Donald Blom was found guilty of killing Moose Lake teenager Katie Poirier, but a new cable TV show is taking a new look at the high-profile kidnapping and murder and how surveillance cameras made the difference.

Carlton County Attorney Thom Pertler was one of several people — including Poirier’s brother and law enforcement officials — interviewed for “See No Evil,” a 13-part television series that looks at how real crimes are solved with the help of surveillance cameras. The episode on the Katie Poirier case is scheduled to air at 9 p.m. April 19 on the Investigation Discovery channel with repeat screenings from then on.

The channel describes “See No Evil” as a program exploring how crimes have been solved “through the lens of surveillance technology — one frame at a time.”

[...]

Pertler said two different videos were used by the prosecution in the Poirier case: the video showing the man abducting the Poirier and a video from a different Moose Lake convenience store, showing Donald Blom with blond tips on his long grey hair around the date of her abduction.

cont. at the link

More details here:

TV show again puts 1999 Bemidji case and sheriff in spotlight
By Pioneer Press | news@pioneerpress.com |
PUBLISHED: August 31, 2013 at 11:42 am | UPDATED: November 7, 2015 at 10:06 pm

The teeth were in the ashes.

They belonged to Katie Poirier, and were the last remnants of her body.

“The bones were so badly degraded by fire that there was no DNA evidence left,” said Beltrami County Sheriff Phil Hodapp. “Same thing for the tooth — but it had a filling in it.”

Hodapp was an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in the spring of 1999 when Poirier, 19, of Barnum, Minn., went missing. He remembers every detail of the case, down to the partial license plate description he and other BCA investigators were given by a witness to Poirier’s abduction.

“One number and three letters,” he said.

Hodapp eventually tracked down Poirier’s killer, Donald Blom, at a campsite near Alexandria, Minn., literally walking up to Blom’s tent. But it was extensive work done in a lab that eventually convinced a jury of Blom’s guilt.

cont. at the link

I wonder if Blom could be a possibility for Heather Lamperd? Did he have his cabin in Moose Lake in 1989? The spot she was found is only 4 miles from I35.

I wonder if Blom could be a possibility for Heather Lamperd? Did he have his cabin in Moose Lake in 1989? The spot she was found is only 4 miles from I35.
I’ve been looking into the Heather Lamperd case quite a bit. Do you know anything about it??

Don Blom was released to the 180 Degrees Halfway house, Minneapolis in March 1989. Heather Lamperd, who worked at NSP in Minneapolis and was found in the Sunrise River east of North Branch in November of 1989 worked only a few miles away from Don. She had been at NSP for 3.5 month and a Title Company before that.

Also, I wonder if Blom had his cabin in Moose Lake from the late 80's until his arrest in 1999? If so, and he was living in the cities in 1993, his travel corridor to the cabin is along I35. Both the Bone Lake victim and Heather Lamperd were discarded just miles off of I35.

Don Blom was released to the 180 Degrees Halfway house, Minneapolis in March 1989. Heather Lamperd, who worked at NSP in Minneapolis and was found in the Sunrise River east of North Branch in November of 1989 worked only a few miles away from Don. She had been at NSP for 3.5 month and a Title Company before that.

Also, I wonder if Blom had his cabin in Moose Lake from the late 80's until his arrest in 1999? If so, and he was living in the cities in 1993, his travel corridor to the cabin is along I35. Both the Bone Lake victim and Heather Lamperd were discarded just miles off of I35.
Ok. I thought the place Blom had in Moose Lake had belonged to his wife’s family and came to him later in his life, but I could be remembering it completely wrong. I’ll check into that for sure. I grew up right near where Heather Lamperd was found and if Blom (or anyone) had chosen to dump a body there, he was a fool. There are much “safer” places for someone traveling the I35 corridor to dump a body. Not that Donald Blom was a smart man, lol, but he would have more privacy in Moose Lake if it was an option. Thanks for the response, I’ll check into that too. Is there anywhere that I can research Heather Lamperd information? I was a kid when she was found but have become intrigued with her murder now that I’m much older.

Last edited:
We know who was behind the Reker murders. Some of those other cases though....

Donald Albin Blom

Donald Albin Blom. Blom convicted in the 1999 killing of convenience store clerk Katie Poirier was sentenced to life in a maximum-security prison in Oak Park Heights, Minn. In 2017, he was transferred to a medium-security prison in Faribault, Minn. He has since died in prison.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back